HP DesignJet 1055CM (333 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Message 1 of 8 (333 Views)

HP DesignJet 1055CM

I am having trouble printing out a document on my plotter. The file is about 2.5 MB, and has been exported to .eps (because it would print correctly out of ArcMap. When I try to print the .eps, the control panel on the front of my 1055 says "Out of disk space. Data lost" I cannot figure out for the life of me how to A.) get the document printed at all or B.) erase/clean up hard disk to allow myself enough space to print this image. Most people have said to set the printer to let my computer do the processing of the image, rather than the printer, but I don't have this option with the new HPGL2/RTL PS driver. Help, please!!
Respected Contributor
Message 2 of 8 (333 Views)

Re: HP DesignJet 1055CM

Hi Sean-

What options do you have under the "Advanced" tab of the driver? There should be an option to "Process in computer".

Will
Occasional Visitor
Message 3 of 8 (333 Views)

Under the Advanced tab, there is:

*Always available
Available from _ to _
Priority [1]
Driver [Hewlett-Packard HP-GL/2 Plotter](New Driver)
*Spool print docs so program finishes faster
start printing after last page is spooled
*start printing immediately
Print directly to printer
Hold mismatched
Print spooled docs first
Keep printed docs
*Enable advanced printing features

(* is current config)

The old driver that I had for this plotter had the "print process in computer" option, but this new one that I downloaded last week doesn't have it anymore.

Originally, I was having trouble printing at all to the plotter, so I reinstalled the driver on my server, still no success. So then I went to the IP address of my plotter, where you can download the HPGL2 driver off the net, and I did that, but that has different options to set than the original driver for the 1055. But, the original driver doesn't work anymore.

Thanks for the help..
Respected Contributor
Message 4 of 8 (333 Views)

Hi Sean-

It sounds like you aren't actually going into the Driver settings. There should be a button at the bottom of the window you have open for either "Printing preferences" or "Printing Defaults" that will get you into the driver options. There will be a different "Advanced" tab that will give you the "Process in computer" option.

As far as the hard drive, you could try shutting off the "queing" option on the front panel of the Designjet and that will clear up additional space that is reserved for queing for job processing. Obviously queing won't work but this may allow the file to be printed without using the "Process in computer" option.

Will
Occasional Visitor
Message 5 of 8 (333 Views)

I thought for sure that the queueing thing would work, but no...

I've attached a couple of screenshots, one is the Printer Properties Advanced tab (the one I described previously...I'm thought this is where the "Process in computer" option was), and the other is the Printer Preferences Advanced tab (very simple).

Thanks for your help though...
Occasional Visitor
Message 6 of 8 (333 Views)

Advisor
Message 7 of 8 (333 Views)

Hi,

Did you mange to print out your eps file following Will's suggestions?

Can you print the file in A4 size ? A1 size from ArcMap?

What resolution have you configured the eps file for?

Can you try setting it to a lower resolution and outputting the eps and trying again?

You could also try this :
Connect the workstations to the plotter using the IP address of the plotter. This can be done by adding a new printer and then choose local printer (I know the 1055cm is on the network but pretend its local). Choose add a new port. Then choose create a new port - standard tcp/ip port. In the ensuing dialog box enter the IP address of the printer and continue. This will add to your printer list a new printer which is supposed to be a local printer but actually prints to a network port.

Only One person to print at a time with this method since anyone else printing simultaeneously will destroy the "direct printer".

I don't know why this works but it worked for us most of the time.

I assume the spooler directory on the SERVER has lots of space (clear it out once then restart the server and try again).

Respected Contributor
Message 8 of 8 (333 Views)

Hi Sean,
From the screenshots you attached I can see you do not have the HP driver installed.
The correct driver you can download at http://designjet.hp.com/ from the menu on the left choose "downloads", choose the correct printer and download the HP-GL/2 driver.
When you install the driver, do not click in the list of printers that Windows first comes up with, but click "have disk", and browse to the folder where you have extracted the downloaded driver file to. Then choose the correct printer from the list.
By the way, your printer also can handle Postscript. For that you need to add a second printer with the Postscript driver.
EPS files print better with Postscript.
(Set the language to "auto" in the setup menu of the printer.)
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.