HP 5500 PS 60in. RESEAT PRINTHEAD !!?? (6939 Views)
Occasional Visitor
salih yildiz
Message 1 of 20 (6,939 Views)

HP 5500 PS 60in. RESEAT PRINTHEAD !!??

I've seated the new head, but it says reseat it.

I reseated the head but it still says reseat.

If some one faced such a problem before,
please share the solution :S

Thank you
Please use plain text.
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 2 of 20 (6,883 Views)

Re: HP 5500 PS 60in. RESEAT PRINTHEAD !!??

Use a coffee filter dampened in plain water and with the power off clean the contacts in the carriage assembly that mate with the contacts of the printhead when inserted.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Philip Uhl
Message 3 of 20 (6,883 Views)

Hi,

I have the 42" HP 5500PS Designjet with the same problem. First the magenta printhead indicated it needed to be reseated. Then after cleaning the contacts and many attempts, the cyan printhead next to it did the same thing. I took out all the printheads, shut down, cleaned all the contacts, rebooted - no change. Both of these printheads were just replaced last week.

Next I had a technician come by. He has seen this problem several times. He tried everything he could, including swapping out the carriage with a brand new one - no change. When he left he told me the only thing he has seen work in my situation was to replace all the printheads at once. Of course that's expensive, especially when I just put 3 brand new ones in. Unfortunately I don't have another option to try. I have a new set of printheads on order. Some colleagues nearby had the same issue and resolved it by changing all of the printheads, but in doing so they began to suspect that another printhead, other than the one indicating it needed to be reseated, was causing the problem. In their case they suspected the yellow was causing the problem with the cyan, but not wanting to take a chance at wasting more printheads they just replaced them all. The technician in my office confirmed that in the way the circuitry is set up, the printheads are basically in series going from LC to K so perhaps a problem with yellow was affecting cyan further down the circuit.

This isn't just a random event as we can see from other posts in this forum and from the experience of my local technician. I hope HP will put some heads together to figure this out. I am going to hang on to my printheads when I change them out in case someone from HP sees this post and would like to take a look at them.
Please use plain text.
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 4 of 20 (6,875 Views)

First thing I would do if not done already is to upgrade the firmware of the unit. Depending on the version it could having difficulty with reading the heads.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Philip Uhl
Message 5 of 20 (6,875 Views)

Thanks for your response.

I have now upgraded the firmware from s56.05 to s56.07. I did the upgrade with all the printheads out of the carriage. I then rebooted the plotter and reinstalled the printheads. Unfortunately there was no change. The magenta and cyan are still indicating they need to be reseated (codes: 5206, 5106).

I have also tried installing all of the printheads in different orders.

Any other ideas?
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Rebecca Janssens
Message 6 of 20 (6,875 Views)

We had the same problem here and the only solution I found to work was to replace all the printheads at the same time. One time I had to do it twice before it would work!
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Philip Uhl
Message 7 of 20 (6,875 Views)

This morning I replaced all of the printheads and it worked. A pricey solution, but it worked. Yesterday I emailed a plotter technician from another company for a second opinion. He confirmed what everyone else was saying:

"I've seen a lot of these kinds of problems, and I agree with the assessment of replacing the printheads. Sure, you can put a new carriage in (I hope the trailing cable was also replaced) but if the old printheads were then inserted, the previous error messages and information will follow the printhead, and this is due to an acumen chip that is found on the contact edge of the printhead. It logs info regarding error messages, insertions, dates, ink volume used, etc. "

It appears this issue is caused by a defect in the plotter or the supplies, and as it is also costly and wasteful, I would like to know that the Designjet team is looking for a solution. Does anyone know how to contact them (and I don't mean contract tech support)?
Please use plain text.
Advisor
William Coffman
Message 8 of 20 (6,875 Views)

Have you guys tried the "shim" of paper trick?

This helps on these dodgy printheads.

Basically, you want to cut a small piece of thick paper or cardboard & place it right where the top of the carriage presses down on the print-heads when it is clamped own.

The carriage exerts a downward & backward pressure on the print-head, increasing the pressure on the contacts at the back of the carriage. So the shim helps increase this pressure slightly.

The contacts must still be clean though.

--
craig
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
Pete Cat
Message 9 of 20 (6,875 Views)

I am having the same problem with UV magenta I basically converted over from DYE which was very expensive and now that head does not work If i buy another and it does it again what should i do?
I cleaned contacts, used a shim And nothing
Also i was wondering about the cleaners should there be a ink soaker sponge inside the new cleaners i just bought? all 6 had a empty spot where my Dye cleaners had a sponge?

You spend all this money they should come with them and if i do where do i get them?
Please use plain text.
Super Advisor
Kurta5
Message 10 of 20 (6,875 Views)

Not all printhead cleaners have sponges, different inks tend to pile up in the cleaners and then contaminate the printheads. Where some inks are more absorbent, they have the sponges.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Philip Uhl
Message 11 of 20 (6,420 Views)

Pete,

I haven't heard any additional solutions other than replacing the printheads until they work. Not a good solution ($) but the only thing that seems to work. Unfortunately, the problem appears to be with a defect in the HP printheads or the plotter software, in my opinion, which makes shelling out the money to HP even harder to swallow. Counting the usage I lost from replacing 6 printheads before their time plus new printheads, my cost was easily over $1000. If this issue happens again, I'll give the shim idea a try first. Until then I'll keep my fingers crossed.

HP should fix this.

Phil
Please use plain text.
Super Advisor
Kurta5
Message 12 of 20 (6,420 Views)

Next time you get the reseat printhead error code I would upgrade the firmware with the printheads in the carraige. It may reset the printhead info. Just a thought. Also, the trailing cable as it get old tends to snap more and could possible be causing the error. Just, a guess. Is your machine over 5 years old?

Before the problem, when was the last time you changed the printheads?

Kurt
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
Todd Fisher
Message 13 of 20 (6,420 Views)

I've owned this DJ5000PS printer for many years, had wonderful experience with it until the past two years when it has begun eating certain color printheads continually. Magenta is the worst at present - both UV and Dye. I cannot get the Dye system to work - been through three new printheads. Currently, I am coaxing a UV printhead that was rejected at least once (replace came up on the panel) but, since two new printheads were continuously stating 'reseat', I have had to go back to the rejected one which is now being accepted, but needs continual 'recovery' and won't pass an alignment test.

HP has stopped support of this printer (before this problem began, unfortunately) so I am nearly dead in the water.

Based on what I have read, there is on fix for this issue once it starts - which is really frustrating since it eventually 'kills' the printer by making it unusable.

I've tried all sorts of fixes - nothing works as yet.

HP are you listening??????
Please use plain text.
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 14 of 20 (6,420 Views)

Todd this is a very old plotter now and yes hp has stopped supporting because of its age. The best recommendation I can give you at present is to make sure the contacts at the back of the carriage assembly that mate with the contacts on the printheads are clean. You can use a coffee filter dampened in plain water to clean the contacts. You also need to clean the contacts on the back of each printhead. As to the printhead that works but needs to be recovered all the time one thing you can do is heat a cup of water to coffee temp and then place the bottom of that printhead into the hot water for 2 minutes, remove and blot and reinsert. Sometimes that does wonders to open up clogged jets on the printhead. These machines do not last forever and parts have to sometimes be changed. Most common besides the belt, are the carriage assembly and the trailing cable. Hope some of this helps. Good Luck.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
matthew doyle
Message 15 of 20 (6,420 Views)

i have the same problem with my 1050c. the black printhead says to reseat it. i opened a new one, and put it in and it says to reseat it (8). i put the old one in and got about 5 more plots out, then it crapped out again.

i have cleaned it, but not shimmed it. i will try that. luckily i have new printheads as a gift ($1000) with ink. can you beleive that! i will try and reseat all of them if this persists. i wanted to thank you all for the information, as i was at a complete loss and decided to see if i could find any information on what was going on. thank you, i dont feel so bad. i am in south florida, does anyone know of a service guy i can call in the fort lauderdale area?

i will let you know how it goes. the machine is at least 5 years old, and has been a work horse, but i never thought about the cable. i guess that could be the problem. where do i get the upgrade to the firmware?
Please use plain text.
Super Advisor
Kurta5
Message 16 of 20 (6,420 Views)

DavidZ is absolutely correct about the carriage and trailing cable. When replacing all printheads don't work or seem to fail it is necessary to change the carriage and Trailing cable and upgrade the firmware. I would say printhead issues like you are having are related to the carriage or trailing cable. Rarely but once in a while it could lead back to the main board.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Sambhaji
Message 17 of 20 (6,265 Views)

Re: HP 5500 PS 60in. RESEAT PRINTHEAD !!?? Try This !!!! & save money

[ Edited ]

salih yildiz wrote:

Thank you

Hi, I tried this with diffrent heads & Done....50% Chances to use heads. Remove smart chip ( Small chip on contact side upper square ) with the help of cutter blade ( Don't let it bend, It is just pasted with gum. ) try to paste chips on old heads. Or Old chips on good working heads ... it works. My old head is now working. I tried this because at my place I'm not getting Heads & inks easily.

salih yildiz wrote:

Thank you

Please use plain text.
Visitor
Pittsville
Message 18 of 20 (1,451 Views)

Re: HP 5500 PS 60in. RESEAT PRINTHEAD !!?? Try This !!!! & save money

I had the problem of printhead rejection and constant RESEAT requests for a cyan printhead on an HP5500PS 42 inch printer.

In comparing the contact area of both printheads, it appeard that some of the copper foil trace was missing on the new printhead.  This appears in two places on the new printhead.

It could be that a design change eliminated the need for the missing traces.  The area is covered by a protective clear coating below the contacts, so the printhead had to leave the factory with the traces missing, for whatever reason.

I do not have another printhead yet to see if my particular problem is due to what I think are missing traces.  As many reports as I have seen of this problem I don't think that missing traces are the answer for all of them, but I am hoping that it could be what is affecting mine, and another printhead won't be rejected.

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
umityasintasmaz
Message 19 of 20 (1,373 Views)

salih bey hp 5500'de genel olarak bu hatayı alabilirsiniz. Yeni bir kafa alarak tekrar deneyin. büyük ihtimal çözülecektir sorun. Hp nin son üretimlerinde böyle bir sıkıntı mevcuttur.
---------------------------------------------------------------
if its best answer, please click star under my picture... ;)
Help people, if helps u someone...
click and visit my blog ( for more info ):
Designjet Expert in TURKEY
Please use plain text.
Lisa198503
Message 20 of 20 (1,355 Views)

Hello ,

We would like to encourage that this discussion should be continued in English language as this forums is a English construct-based communities as per the rules of participation (Rules(9) *see below for the url). Your post in English format will definitely help your other fellow participants to well-understand the issues and help you out regarding this.
* http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage
HP Forums also supports few other languages for the same where you can select the language option located at the top right side of the EBC main page.

Thanks & Regards,

Lisa

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation