Designjet T520 problems plotting / HPGL2issue? (1748 Views)
Occasional Visitor
marcom007
Message 1 of 4 (1,748 Views)

Designjet T520 problems plotting / HPGL2issue?

Hi folks

hope you can help. We are a make to order type manufacturing business. Our design team use primarily  Unigraphics NX for all of our custom designed parts. We currently have a designjet 500ps which has served us well 8 or 9 years. We decided to upgrade this year and aafter doing some research we opted for the designjet T520.

Once delivered I got it setup pretty quick and it is printing fine. I can send test prints from any application we use and everything is working as it should. If I try and plot however I am running into a lot of problems. From what I understand, when the plot option is used, the CAD software outputs HPGL2 code which then gets processed by the printer to generate the image. Initially when I sent a plot to the T520 I was getting a papermismatch error on the printer intself. I was getting no error on the client machine. If I hit print anyway the printer would proceed to print HPGL code direct onto paper. I began troubleshooting with the Unigraphics NX support team thinking that it was a matter of configuring the plot settings, after a lot of to-ing and fro-ing we were able to confim that the output when plotting to my old designjet500ps(which still works) and when plotting to the new T520 were identical. This pointed towards some sort of problem with the printer itself.

I then proceeded to troublehoot with the HP tech support team. We reinstalled drivers and updated to the latest firmware. After upgrading the driver and firmware the behaviour of the printer changed somewhat, now when I try to plot, the printer will print approx 1 inch of the drawing, stop, and then feed 4 inches of blank paper before cutting the roll. Once everything else was confirmed as printing fine the tech support team is inclicned to conclude that there is some problem with the CAD application itself. The case was been escalated to level 2 tech support now and there are some further tests to be done in the hope of proving one way or another.

In the meantime I'm hoping someone in the user community may have encountered something similar? Any T520 users using Unigraphics NX? Anyone using Autocad or other applications whcih use a File>Plot option as well as File>Print?

Any suggestions are welcome

Esteemed Contributor
Milo E
Message 2 of 4 (1,732 Views)

Re: Designjet T520 problems plotting / HPGL2issue?

Hello.

Did you use the pcl3 driver or the hpgl2 driver for the 500 printer?

Could be that you have used the pcl3 driver. If so you can try to download the T120 driver instead for the T520. This is a pcl3 driver as well that may work better with your application.

You also have the option in the hpgl2 driver to print as a bitmap. (preferences - advanced tab).

If you think my answer helped you, please assign points to me
HP Pro
lizzylop
Message 3 of 4 (1,636 Views)

Hello,

We just seen that some settings included on HP-GL/2 native jobs might not be processed correctly by T520 printer, you probably have this problem. HP Designjet support will launch soon a new firmware, but in the meantime, we recommend you to contact HP Support because they are handling a beta firmware you can test which adds important HP-GL/2 fixes.

-lizzylop

I am an HP employee.
Occasional Visitor
Dino_63
Message 4 of 4 (1,459 Views)

About the roll loading issue, and printing just the first 10 cm or so, check that it is 61cm. wide maximum. Since i see you are used to print with a DJ500, don't use its rolls to plot on the T520, cause they don't fit. The T520 allows max width roll is 61 cms. Regards.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.