Designjet 800PS Setup Printheads message - need to bypass (865 Views)
Occasional Visitor
R. P. Edwards
Message 1 of 5 (865 Views)

Designjet 800PS Setup Printheads message - need to bypass

After some maintenance on my Designjet 800PS, I entered the purge printhead utility, not realizing I would need setup printheads. Now, when I startup the printer, the plotter asks me to insert the setup printheads. Is there anyway to bypass that? I don't have any setup printheads, and can't seem to get past that message... Thanks for any help you can suggest...

R. Edwards

---------------------------------

Esteemed Contributor
frprinterwiz
Message 2 of 5 (865 Views)

Re: Designjet 800PS Setup Printheads message - need to bypass

The printer needs to prime the ink system and can't do that without the setup printheads. There is no way to bypass this message, because even if you could your printer would be useless as there would be no ink to print with. You'll need to contact the parts store or your local retailer if you don't have these cartridges anymore and purchase a new set.
Occasional Visitor
Robert Sannino
Message 3 of 5 (865 Views)

I was able to bypass the purge utility by placing blue painters tape over the electrical conections of the print heads. this will fool the plotter into thinking they are setup print heads. then i just followed the prompts and when it asked for the normal heads i removed the tape.

Bob Sannino
Occasional Visitor
leonehal
Message 4 of 5 (87 Views)

Start printer-When it says found normal print head & insert setup print head> remove your normal print head>

Use some plastic adhesive insulating tape and cover print head contact or cover print head cable with tape>

Insert print head again with tape> This way we fool printer and it think it is setup print head> 

Now again printer ask for normal print head> Then remove plastic tape & reinsert head.....it works 100%

I was stuck....now ok....www.gurugraphics.com.au

Honored Contributor
timwj1
Message 5 of 5 (57 Views)

While that may at times work to cheat the purge process, the problem you may cause is:  The setup printheads are empty reseviours for the air in the tubes to be injected into, along with some amounts of ink, cheating the purge process by leaving regular printheads in can cause issues with those printheads, could any air or more ink than space to store it in the regular printheads be a possibility?  This may be a work around for accidentally entering that utility but under no circumstances should it be used when you do actually need to purge the ink tubes.

If you feel my reply has assisted you in repairing your printer please press the kudos star icon on the left and mark as problem solved. Thank you!

TJ
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.