Designjet 5500PS hard drive failure (1538 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Message 1 of 6 (1,538 Views)

Designjet 5500PS hard drive failure

A 5500PS I work on will not complete the startup sequence and generates an error 1f50010 immediately after attempting to load from the hard disk. I have removed the disk and have run the drive through a western digital diagnostic and the drive shows multiple sector errors.

Now I am trying to source a compatible replacement drive and cannot find a drive with compatible firmware. The only replacement drive HP acknowledges the existance of is the RTL firmware version which I already know is not compatible - as I already tried to install it.

The support section shows an update for firmware for this printer. Even if I were to install a new drive and the upgrade option actually worked in this fashion it still requires the printer to be booted. This printer does not seem to start up far enough to initialize any ports to be recognized locally or on the network.

Anyone have some suggestions of how to proceed?
Outstanding Contributor
Message 2 of 6 (1,538 Views)

Re: Designjet 5500PS hard drive failure

Do a google search for the item. Below is one place that has it but want big bucks for it.

http://www.computercare.cc/osc/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=703
Outstanding Contributor
Message 3 of 6 (1,538 Views)

Here is a place with a reasonable part cost.

http://www.partshere.com/online/detail.asp?Partno=Q1252-69017
Occasional Visitor
Message 4 of 6 (1,538 Views)

Should have said something in my initial post but I have already contact numerous places. Via Google all of the internet vendors that "say" they have the part either have the RTL part or the online inventory is wrong and the part is on infinite backorder. I have actually called every place that claims to have it in stock on the first 5 pages of search results.

That PartsHere listing got my hopes up previously as well. The part is not actually in stock.

After my initial post I have changed my tactics to Google searching any consulting firm that claims to be DesignJet authorized in the hopes they might have a drive hiding in a corner or be able to make a disc image that can be sent to me. So far no luck.
Advisor
Message 5 of 6 (764 Views)

While it is true HP stopped making these drives and they can be very hard to find.

A drive for the DesignJet 5500 PS Plotter is still available.

DesignJet 5500 PS Hard Drive

Post Script Hard Drive firmware version  S.56.07 RC

Feel free to contact us by phone or email if you have any questions.

Hope this helps get your plotter back up and running quickly.

We have to try and solve more problems than we create.
Computer Care www.computercareonline.com

If you can not find the part or you need a little assistance with a problem.
Esteemed Contributor
Message 6 of 6 (757 Views)

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.