Re: Designjet 5500 - my latest nightmare (665 Views)
Advisor
who cares anymore I kno
Message 1 of 28 (839 Views)

Designjet 5500 - my latest nightmare

[ Edited ]

Plotter was working fine with NO errors, but had to do a belt replacement -

In doing so found our printhead tube connector was cracked -

ordered and installed new tube system -

after new tube install black no longer printed AT ALL

syringe primed the black

then changed the black printhead even though it had been working fine

now black is printing but no longer laying down a solid pattern -

getting line sensor errors during scan axis - 0020 & 4003

service station errors - 5010 & 6011

accuracy error - 3110

and continuous system error  0c0032 00000004

Has anyone seen this behavior before? Any advises welcome I am fried.............signed Sad in Texas..........

Hey DaveZ are you still on this forum any longer???????

Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 2 of 28 (792 Views)

Re: Designjet 5500 - my latest nightmare

I am still here. Only suggestion I can give is to replace the black printhead again. If the head you put in is under warranty return it for replacement. I have seen a lot of bad black printheads for both the 1000 and 5000 series plotters lately. Most of new out of the box and under warranty.
Advisor
who cares anymore I kno
Message 3 of 28 (775 Views)

Dave,

THANK THE GODS you are still around!

Thanks for your reply. Do you think the black printhead is causing all these error codes?

In a real spot here.

The black printhead that was in there was working fine prior to me doing the maintenance.

Printer and all heads were functioning fine, there were no error codes occuring at all before the belt change.

Getting all these crazy line sensor error codes/service station errors and the one overall system error now.

When I changed out the tubes the setup head in the black position was not recognizing initially. (foreboding clue!)

Took the setup up head in another position and swapped them around and that problem went away.

After ink setup and print head re-insertion, yellow & black started asking for recovery & would not print on calibration.

Yellow came back after several calibrations but black would not come back until I did a syringe air removal.

Both the original and the new kprintheads are printing uneven broken line patterns. (similar in nature).

Can't help but think I did something wrong or something happened during the tube system replacement/startup.

Question..........Could it be the new tube system is faulty allowing air in?

Advisor
who cares anymore I kno
Message 4 of 28 (760 Views)

Trying to follow a link I found where someone else was dealing with this system error issue that is connected to my problem.

On this forum previously, several years ago, someone named Sa'ad posted a link to a thread in the HP forum that apprently has been moved or deleted. I would like to retrieve and or read this older thread.

Does anyone know what the revised path or method would be to find older HP forum posts?

The original link path was "http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=29638"

Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 5 of 28 (742 Views)

[ Edited ]

>someone named Sa'ad posted a link to a thread

Most likely:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/211442

What's the URL of that topic?

Basically all of those old URLs are now dead.  All you know is that the data at the other end is still there so you can try using google to search for it.

Advisor
who cares anymore I kno
Message 6 of 28 (733 Views)

Dennis..........Thank you for your input VERY MUCH.......I will take a look at the link you posted. Google will not work..........already tried it.........just brings up the threads that led me to the initial conversation in the first place. Strange too.........you would think that the thread id would find it, so obviously HP took the pages down. Dumb if you ask me........all those years of research and good information thrown away? Makes no sense..........

Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 7 of 28 (693 Views)

>you would think that the thread id would find it, so obviously HP took the pages down

No, they copied them from the previous technology to Lithum and there is no connection.

>all those years of research and good information thrown away?

It isn't thrown away, just the "indexing".  :-)
There were a lot of complaints about this:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Community-Feedback-Suggestions/Find-topics-referred-by-old-links/m-p/54...

Advisor
who cares anymore I kno
Message 8 of 28 (677 Views)

David......question.....Is there an unrefutable way to check/distinguish a used/refurbished carriage assembly from a BRAND NEW one?

Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 9 of 28 (665 Views)

Generally not. Most times a refurbished one will have some ink residue on the bottom which is hard to remove unless they actually disassemble the old carriage to remove the electronic parts and soak the rest to remove the excess ink that gets on the bottom.
Occasional Advisor
Marklk
Message 10 of 28 (509 Views)

Im haveing a lot of the same problems, plotter wont calibrate, keep getting error,  0c0040 0000013e  message, any one know what that means? Thanks

Valued Contributor
Mikeg81
Message 11 of 28 (499 Views)

System Error: 0C0040

Problem Description:
Error in Printhead Drop Detection. This error code appears when the Printer detects that the same area of nozzles do not work in different Printheads. The possible causes are either fibres or a piece of paper in the Drop Detector or that the Scan-Axis reference is incorrect.

Corrective Action: Try the following:

Manually recover the Printheads and check whether the error still appears.  If the error does appear again, then check that there no fibres or pieces of paper in the Drop Detector.

If the error does not appear again, then check that the Scan-Axis stop of the Carriage is not deformed too much (some slight deformation of upto 0.5mm is normal, but if it is bigger than that, then replace the Carriage Assembly and recalibrate the Printer).

If the Scan-Axis is OK also, then replace the Drop Detector or the Service Station Assembly and recalibrate the Printer 

Advisor
who cares anymore I kno
Message 12 of 28 (476 Views)

Mark,

Despite all the different advises I received on that thread none of the suggestions I received worked.

My problems and long list of confusing error messages began AFTER I had replaced the tubes.

I will never know for sure WHAT was wrong BUT.........I retraced all my steps and the thing that seemed to correct/make all the errors go away?..........I readjusted the carriage assembly height from scratch for a second time..........she started working like a charm after that.

Occasional Advisor
Marklk
Message 13 of 28 (456 Views)

Thanks for the replys, i started having these problems after replacing the tube system, i dont have the height adjustment tool,  can i order one somewheres, thanks

Advisor
who cares anymore I kno
Message 14 of 28 (446 Views)

Just Google "carriage height adjustment tool" then advanced search use designjet 5500 or 5000....someone will sell one, just don't over pay for it......all it is is plastic print head but you need it........then adjust the T7? screws on the carriage (back of carriage).......you can find instructions on how to do it on the web easily enough I would think....the T7 driver is basically a tool like a screw driver (Husky brand @ Home Depot) makes one. Once you adjust the carriage height you will be fine..........do not go and buy a new one.

Occasional Advisor
Marklk
Message 15 of 28 (439 Views)

Thanks ill try that, now all the printheads are streaky printing, are they now dead, theyre couple of weeks old some of them, where is the drop detector, keep getting  0c0032 00000004 message

Advisor
who cares anymore I kno
Message 16 of 28 (432 Views)

Before you mess with the printheads, or buy a new carriage and/or mess with the drop detector, realign that carriage height, trust me. Two of my printheads appeared to be failing/would not calibrate and you can see all the other erros I was getting if you read this old thread completely.

Occasional Advisor
Marklk
Message 17 of 28 (426 Views)

ok, will do , thanks for the help

Occasional Advisor
Marklk
Message 18 of 28 (366 Views)

couple of questions, do i take the media out before height adjustment and do the printheads need to come out also?

Thanks

Advisor
who cares anymore I kno
Message 19 of 28 (355 Views)

Yes...........all the printhead come out..........and the media comes out..........you have to drag the carriage by hand back and forth by pulling ON THE BELT, while listening for a friction/scraping noise..........you should probably google a how to guide and print it out, then follow the instructions so you do everything correctly.

Occasional Advisor
Marklk
Message 20 of 28 (352 Views)

i have a printed out guide here, couldnt tell from the drawings about media and printheads,i have the top cover and back cover  off exposing the back of the carriage, is that all the covers to remove?, still waiting for the tool to come in, should be this morning some time, 

Advisor
who cares anymore I kno
Message 21 of 28 (333 Views)

Sounds like you have removed the correct pieces. As long as you can move the carriage from one end to the other by PULLING ON THE BELT and you have access to the screws on the back of the carriage you are good.

Advisor
who cares anymore I kno
Message 22 of 28 (311 Views)

Mark...........

SO what happened yesterdsay? Were you able to work on it?

Occasional Advisor
Marklk
Message 23 of 28 (301 Views)

tried calibrating carriage height twice with no luck with error messages, still the same, not sure whats wrong, updated the firmware to most recent, still cant get printheads to callibrate, this is frustrating

Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 24 of 28 (292 Views)

Do yourself a favor. Download the service manual for the designjet 5000. It has all the same parts except for the main board. Just do a google search. Make sure the drop detector does not have any paper stuck in it. Also make sure the encoder (strip that goes thru the carriage with fine lines) is clean from end to end. Clean using a damp cloth and do it lightly as harsh cleaning can remove some of the lines and then the encoder will have to be replaced. Also what shape of the printheads? Are they new or have they been in the printer a long time. Run a service config from the utilities menu under test prints to get information on the printheads.
Advisor
who cares anymore I kno
Message 25 of 28 (270 Views)

Were you able to get the carriage height tool, find and follow the instructions to use it, and then set the height as the manual told you?

Do you have a service manual/did you follow Daves advice and download one last nite? If not you are going to need one now.

Did you perform all the service station calibrations after you adjusted the carriage height?

(I am assuming you did this one already  - carriage height is page 5-18)

(Did you do this one after you you set the carriage height? - service station is page 5-11)

ASSUMING YOU DID THESE AND YOU ARE STILL GETTING THAT 0032 CONTINOUS ERROR.

That means the plotter stiil can't calibrate right.............so........

Dave makes a good point.......what shape is that encoder strip in.........is it in good condition?

If the answer to all these questions above is yes.............

Now you have to play the dreaded HP just start replacing parts until you get lucky game........

.......NOW you will have to consider replacing that drop detector (sec page 8-70.....page 320 in my pdf)

.........and if that does not work, then you will have to try replacing the the service station assembly itself  (sec page 8-67)

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.