Re: Designjet 5000ps Won't Print, Perpetually Trimming Paper (442 Views)
Occasional Contributor
ddisciplines
Message 1 of 9 (453 Views)

Designjet 5000ps Won't Print, Perpetually Trimming Paper

I have tried printing a file as a PDF, postscript and TIFF. The regular calibration strips came out fine. The printer says the roll of paper, ink and printheads are all fine.

However, the printer won't even recognize PDFs, whether printed from Preview or Acrobat. The print screen on my computer will say the printer is receiving the job or printing, but the printer itself won't say anything other than "ready". 

When I try to print from a postscript file (created in Preview), the printer will say "testing printheads" then print out a few inches of paper with pink letters, numbers and symbols on one edge. After that, it will cut several blank strips of paper about two inches long. The same thing happens when I try to print a TIFF. 

An IT friend and I have spent hours trying to get this thing to work and combing the web for help, but haven't found anything close to the problem I'm having. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
HP Pro
Askme
Message 2 of 9 (442 Views)

Re: Designjet 5000ps Won't Print, Perpetually Trimming Paper

It may be caused due to failed job processing (printer hardware issues, connectivity, corrupt driver, spooler, software, OS etc.).  You may need to troubleshoot step by step.

Please provide information about printer connectivity to PC, operating system.

Do you find error only while printing specific file/job, or while printing from specific application/software, or while printing thorugh web submitter.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution
Click the Kudos star if this was helpful. Thank You!

(Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP)
Please use plain text.
Esteemed Contributor
Milo E
Message 3 of 9 (431 Views)

Could be corrupt media profile. Just unload media, load media and choose another profile than previously chosen.

If you think my answer helped you, please assign points to me
Please use plain text.
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 4 of 9 (425 Views)

Have you gone into the driver properties and tried to print a test page from the general tab. Your issue could be the driver.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
ddisciplines
Message 5 of 9 (401 Views)

Thanks for the help! The replies were being sent to my spam box so I didn't see them until now. 

I am printing from a Mac on OS 10.9 and using the latest driver, which I believe is 10.7. A friend works for Apple, looked it up and said the 10.7 driver is supposed to work on OS 10.9.

The printer is hooked up to the router and I am trying to print over the network. 

No matter what program I print from, Illustrator, Photoshop, Acrobat or Preview, I get the same problem. Same goes for file type, postscript, TIFF, jpg. PDF is the only one that won't be recognized at all. 

Someone said it might be a firmware issue but I haven't been able to download a new version of the firmware from this site. I'll select the model I have, press the arrow button, but the dropdown menu will just reset itself.

Thanks so much for your help!

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
ddisciplines
Message 6 of 9 (400 Views)

It does print the Current Configuration page and everything listed on it comes back good. It also printed the calibration page as it should when new printheads were installed.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
ddisciplines
Message 7 of 9 (397 Views)

Thanks for the advice. Part of what was frustrating was not having an error number to better disgnose the problem. I reloaded the medi per your suggestion. After the calibration page printed out, the printer said Calibration Error 2505. According to HP, updating the firmware is suggested.

However, I've searched and searcheed the HP website but can't find any firmware downloads for the Designjet 5000ps. Do you know where I could find one? ALl I've bee able to find so far are the drivers. Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 8 of 9 (386 Views)

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
David Crossing
Message 9 of 9 (368 Views)

Does it do it when you print the service configuration page ?  I've seen this behaviour before on HP DJs and it's because there's a bad print head or you've got ink on the contacts in the carriage. Run the replace printheads using a damp cloth clean the contacts in the carriage and then the contacts on heads. Make sure all nice and dry and clean before re-inserting. Then run a printhead alignment and see how it goes. I had this problem on a DJ4000 it was a faulty head. Good luck.

Cheers David.

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation