Re: Designjet 500 on Windows 7 Installation problems (514 Views)
Occasional Advisor
scottparat
Message 1 of 8 (573 Views)

Designjet 500 on Windows 7 Installation problems

Hope someone can help me with this.

I have a Designjet 500 24" printer. No card, no hd.... just the plain printer model #C77698..... simplest one you could get back in the day.

It worked great on an XP machine I had. I installed it on another XP machine latter and it worked fine.

Just recented got a new Windows 7 machine, a Dell Inspiron 570

Upon starting my computer I have the DJ 500 "on". The computer doesn't recognize it.... can't find the drivers.

So I downloaded the drivers from the HP site for Widows 7 Ultimate 64

I followed the instructions, must have tried 20 times but the computer will not recognize the DJ 500

The only thing I can think of is that I'm picking the wrong port or something. How would I determine which port name to install on?

Seems like a lot of people have trouble installing an old DJ 500 on Windows 7 but eventually they get it.

I'm lost on this and need to print out a set of plans.

Is there an HP number I can call?

Thanks in advance for your help :)

Scott

Frequent Advisor
umityasintasmaz
Message 2 of 8 (544 Views)

Re: Designjet 500 on Windows 7 Installation problems

[ Edited ]

hi u must use HPGL 2 card for win7 // hp 500.. another u cannot install...

---------------------------------------------------------------
if its best answer, please click star under my picture... ;)
Help people, if helps u someone...
click and visit my blog ( for more info ):
Designjet Expert in TURKEY
Occasional Advisor
scottparat
Message 3 of 8 (526 Views)

Where would be the best place to get a HPGL 2 card?

I guess I should say,  anyone know where the least expensive source would be?

Thanks

Honored Contributor
Greg Gruchacz
Message 4 of 8 (523 Views)

Scott:

How are you trying to connect the printer? Parallel or USB? Let us know and we might be able to help you.

Occasional Advisor
scottparat
Message 5 of 8 (519 Views)

Hey Greg...thanks for the resposne.

I'm connected with usb.

If I disconnect the printer and shut down both computer and printer. Then, I reconnect the printer via usb....power up the printer and then turn on the computer, I can see the printer looking for drivers.

I'll get a message about not being able to find the drivers. Under "Devices and Printers" under "Unspecified" is an 'unknown device' that shows up but doesn't have any drivers or any function.

I tried installing the Vistsa Drivers by doing "Add a Printer" .....I THINK I get into trouble when it asks me for a port to connect to. The usb ports are all filled, I tried to create my own dj500 or something like that but that didn't work. I got the Vista driver from HP.

=======

Below you can find the link and the steps posted in order to install the driver for Windows vista, just let me recap you that this option is a work around due to HP is no longer releasing drivers for this printer.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=18...

=======

If I can upload an image, the image shows the choices I have for ports. If I could figure out the port situation that might help but I'd be eternally grateful for any help, I really need to print something out and my old XP computer died a short time ago.

Thanks again,

Scott

Honored Contributor
Greg Gruchacz
Message 6 of 8 (514 Views)

Scott:

What you need to do is to unplug the usb cable from the printer then turn the PC on.  Run the driver installation that you downloaded, and save it to a folder like C:\temp. Turn the printer on and plug the usb cable into the printer. When the PC asks for the driver, do not click to automatically search for the driver but select the option to find the driver yourself and then follow the instructions until you get to a list of possible drivers and then select Have Disk. When you click Have Disk it will give you the option to Browse, go to the location where you saved the files, i.e., C:\Temp and inside that folder there will be another new folder with the drivers inside it. Select the dsgj510.inf or any other .inf file and then click next, a list of Designjet printers will open and select the appropriate printer. Click next and the printer should install on the proper port, it may even install a new usb port for the printer. Let me know how it works out for you.

Greg

Occasional Advisor
scottparat
Message 7 of 8 (502 Views)

Hi Greg....been trying since you last posted. Still can't get the thing to work. Doesn't even make a sound :(

I've got a killer migraine and its late, I'm going to follow your instructions again tomorrow and make a screen capture video of it, maybe you can see what I'm missing or where I might be screwing up.

Gotta get some sleep

Thanks for your efforts

Scott

Occasional Advisor
scottparat
Message 8 of 8 (471 Views)

How can I tell if my computer is communicating with the dj500? I want to make sure the usb cable is working correctly.

Thanks

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.