Designjet 500 encoder strip installation (1855 Views)
Occasional Contributor
Judy Gordon
Message 1 of 9 (1,855 Views)
Accepted Solution

Designjet 500 encoder strip installation

On the right side at the service holder - which opening is correct for the encoder strip and how does the metal clip install?
Thanks!!
Honored Contributor
Sa'ad Mu'asher
Message 2 of 9 (1,855 Views)

Re: Designjet 500 encoder strip installation

Hi Judy,

Yes you're right it's kind of tricky. Pull the bolt out of the plotter to the right side through the Service Station Holder (right bracket), and then insert the hole of the bolt (metal clip) onto the knob that is located on the Service Station Holder and then pull the Encoder Strip to the left direction gently until it takes its place.

Find attached a picture for that!

Anyhow, here you can get off the service manual with diagrams for the plotter:

http://www.eserviceinfo.com/downloadsm/17317/HP_DesignJets%20500.html

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Sa'ad
If there is a will, there is a way.
Occasional Contributor
Judy Gordon
Message 3 of 9 (1,855 Views)

Hi Sa'ad,

Thank you for your quick reply. I follow from what you wrote and the diagram (thank you!)of which opening to use, but I don't see the knob.

Does this mean that the encoder strip metal clip "rests" against the plastic service station and is held by tension by the left hand side?

Also, now this seems really weird, but the encoder strip does not seem to stretch across the entire plotter - it seems short.
When I threaded it through the carriage I did so at a rectangular opening that is just above the bar and screw and below the carriage belt. Is this correct?

Thanks again,
Judy

Advisor
Michael Bailey_5
Message 4 of 9 (1,855 Views)

The manual downloads in a ".rar" file type. What is the proper way to read this file? I would have expected a .pdf file.
Advisor
Michael Bailey_5
Message 5 of 9 (1,855 Views)

Never mind about my question. I finally figured out how to work with .rar files. WinRAR assembled them into a .pdf file that I can now read. Thanks for the manual. I have been looking for one for almost a year now.

Occasional Contributor
Judy Gordon
Message 6 of 9 (1,855 Views)

Just wanted to update this thread. I found the raised knob on the inside of the right side service station holder. It is located about an inch from the front. Now everything fits perfectly. Thanks for your help, Sa'ad!
Honored Contributor
Sa'ad Mu'asher
Message 7 of 9 (1,855 Views)

Glad i could help Judy.

Anytime,

Sa'ad
If there is a will, there is a way.
Occasional Advisor
HChu
Message 8 of 9 (1,855 Views)

I just replaced the carriage belt and forget where the encoder strip suppose to be. I have the complete service manual but cannot figure out whether the encoder strip needs to feed through the carriage assembly or just rest behind the carriage assembly. thanks for help from anyone.
Advisor
JD Fitch
Message 9 of 9 (749 Views)

After a bit of searching I could not find any decent photos of the Right End, Service Station bracket and Encoder Strip bracket to show the orientation of the parts involved.

So I did my own and set up a post for it.

It is a bit too involved and too many photos to show here so I will have to link to it.

Blog post showing the service station bracket and encoder strip bracket placement and orientation fo...

I hope this helps and clears up any questions you may have about the proper placement and routing of the encoder strip into the right end or service station bracke and the securing of the end of the encoder strip.

As always, feel free to contact us if you have any questions.

We have to try and solve more problems than we create.
Computer Care www.computercareonline.com

If you can not find the part or you need a little assistance with a problem.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.