Designjet 130nr Turned on randomly in the middle of the night and started printing on its own? (123 Views)
Occasional Advisor
MaineGrW
Message 1 of 3 (123 Views)

Designjet 130nr Turned on randomly in the middle of the night and started printing on its own?

It is close to 2a here this morning as I write this, and about 15 minutes ago my Designjet 130nr powered itself on, initialized, and started making what sounded like a print, yet no paper was fed out. I watched it for a few minutes as I could hear the printhead move back and fourth, I then hit the cancel button, which after a minute or so, the printer shut itself down and went completely back to standby. I have had this printer for 2 years and have never had this happen before. Currently my fear is that someone has gained access to my wifi network, as the printer is network connected, and all 3 of my computers were offline at the time. Has this occurred for anyone else? Am I worrying for nothing or be should I be very concerned?

Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 2 of 3 (102 Views)

Re: Designjet 130nr Turned on randomly in the middle of the night and started printing on its own?

Change the password on your wifi network just in case. If the power had been shut off to the plotter and no in standby mode it should not have happened. If in fact the plotter was in sleep or standby that yes someone sending a job to trying to access the plotter could have send codes that would have started the plotter but without the correct driver the plotter could not print anything.
Occasional Advisor
MaineGrW
Message 3 of 3 (96 Views)

Re: Designjet 130nr Turned on randomly in the middle of the night and started printing on its own?

I just checked out my wifi setup and found a large opening in my security that allowed someone to get in: I use an Amped Wireless wifi repeater to connect wired devices (i.e. my plotter) to my primary network. This device apparently has no prompt for username or password by default allowing someone to get the network password and info directly from the setup page, and it appears they may have also changed the wifi password for the repeater as well. This has now been corrected. Additionally, I checked the plotter this morning and found that I had just run out of paper on the roll and this was the reason why when it attempted to print, nothing came out. Hopefully that is all they did...

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.