Designjet 110 plus ink problem (611 Views)
Visitor
doc808
Message 1 of 9 (611 Views)
Accepted Solution

Designjet 110 plus ink problem

I have a Designjet 110plus, model #C7796D. I’m using Windows 7 Home Premium.

I’m having a problem with the ink level icons on the display screen.

When I try to print, the magenta icon flashes and reads empty even though there seems to be a lot of ink still in the cartridge. I’ve installed a new magenta cartridge and the icon read full, but when I tried to print it changed back to flashing empty.  I’ve changed all the printheads and the print test came back passed with a check at the bottom right.

In searching the internet, someone else had this exact problem posted back in 2009 with no resolution to the problem.

From all the online help I could find,  the problem might be with the ink supply station.  When I removed all the cartridges there are some spring loaded white tabs at the bottom that pop up after the cartridge is removed. The one for the magenta does not pop up.  I can forcibly raise the

tab but it just falls back down. If I have to change the ink supply station, can I still get the part and would this be a plug and play fix that an average tinkerer could handle?

HP Pro
avinrav
Message 2 of 9 (575 Views)

Re: Designjet 110 plus ink problem

[ Edited ]

Hello doc808,

The Ink Supply Station is not a user replaceable part(Plug and play Part) and would need a trained HP Engineer to replace the part. Kindly contact your nearest HP authorised Service Provider, Or you may also contact HP Directly using the link below.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.html

Regards
avinrav
I work for HP

If you feel my reply has assisted you in resolving the issue, please press the kudos star icon on the left and mark as problem solved. Thank you!
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 3 of 9 (543 Views)

[ Edited ]

The ink supply station is not easy to replace and can sometimes be hard to find at a good price.  Attached if it works are the instructions you need to replace the item.  Good Luck.

Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 4 of 9 (534 Views)

I just found one on ebay at a very good price.  Hope the link works as when I revised above it sent to wrong link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Designjet-110-Ink-Supply-Station-New-C7796-60209-/390833246600?pt=US_Lase...

Visitor
doc808
Message 5 of 9 (519 Views)

Thanks David for the lead on the ink supply station.  Before I travel down that road, from the symptoms I described do you think the problem is in the ink supply station?

Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 6 of 9 (506 Views)

Based on your description of the white tab not raising by itself that would lead to the station being the issue. That white tab is what presses against the bag in the opening of the ink cartridge at the bottom to tell the printer that there is ink in the cartridge. Since that tab is broken there is no way for the printer to know the cartridge has ink.
Visitor
doc808
Message 7 of 9 (492 Views)

Thanks again David for all your advice.  Your explanation of the function of the white tab was really helpful for me to understand the problem.  My next hurdle will be to find a qualified technician to service my unit, as HP does not have any authorized Service Providers in my area.  Most printer repair centers here only service laserjets.

Thanks also to all those who viewed and to HP for having this forum as a great resource to get outstanding advice and feedback and also just to have a sympathetic ear for those of us with printer woes.

Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 8 of 9 (482 Views)

Since you do not have to remove the left side cover, when I took another look at the instructions it will not be that hard to replace if you just following the instructions I gave you above.
Visitor
doc808
Message 9 of 9 (405 Views)

Thanks again David for the advice.

I purchased an ink supply station online no problem.  Followed the instruction you provided and replaced the unit with no extra parts or screws left over.   And "Voila" it works!!! 

Sort of. 

The screen still shows magenta ink supply as empty. I ran a print head alignment test, all colors printed fine and it passed.  At least it's not flashing so that now the printer prints the whole page without stopping. YEAH!

I considere the problem solved!

Thanks for your invaluable help,

David

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.