DesignJet 510 - Initialization Problem (2116 Views)
Regular Advisor
Martin Capehart
Message 1 of 8 (2,116 Views)
Accepted Solution

DesignJet 510 - Initialization Problem

This printer does not boot up.  When you turn it on the process stops after the 6th square turns black.  The customer has unplugged the printer for several hours with no change.

I'm not sure if the problem could be solved by flashing the firmware across the parallel port.  If that isn't possible or doesn't solve the problem, I would assume to look at replacing either the Formatter PCA or Electronic Module - not sure which would be the best first choice.

I would appreciate any suggestions or idea for troubleshooting this printer.  Thanks!

Honored Contributor
timwj1
Message 2 of 8 (2,112 Views)

Re: DesignJet 510 - Initialization Problem

The first thing I would try is to remove the printheads and the formatter card to see if the machine boots up without them, then install back in one at a time until the problem comes back.

If you feel my reply has assisted you in repairing your printer please press the kudos star icon on the left and mark as problem solved. Thank you!

TJ
Regular Advisor
Martin Capehart
Message 3 of 8 (2,104 Views)

I can have the customer try removing the printheads.  I have removed printheads, hard drives and jet direct cards, for troubleshooting, but nver a main PCA.  WIll the printer boot up, without throwing an error, with the Formatter PCA removed?

Honored Contributor
timwj1
Message 4 of 8 (2,102 Views)

It may throw a 05:10 code I believe it is when it can't find the formatter card, but you can press the cancel button on the front of the machine and that error code will go away.

If you feel my reply has assisted you in repairing your printer please press the kudos star icon on the left and mark as problem solved. Thank you!

TJ
Regular Advisor
Martin Capehart
Message 5 of 8 (2,065 Views)

Customer removed formatter and printer finished initializing.  Sent him a new formatter and problem solved.  THANKS!

Honored Contributor
timwj1
Message 6 of 8 (2,058 Views)

Glad to hear that fixed your problem!

TJ
Occasional Visitor
robin-dey
Message 7 of 8 (591 Views)

WE are using HP Designjet 510 plotter, from few days a message is showing " replace print head". we changed the head with a new one but still the message coming and after some while it also show a cross indication on magenta cartridge. some are advising to clean the printing unit and some are advising to replace it. we are from Bangladesh and here good service is always hard to get. need your advise

Occasional Advisor
PL30
Message 8 of 8 (512 Views)

Hi

The printer has print head and cartridges .....if it shows replace print head then find out which color print head it shows as replace(it will give cross mark on correspoding color on panel) and check the expiry date on the print head even it is new some times we get print heads with longer shelf life......if the message for print head replacement disappears after replacing print head and you have only replace magenta cartridge then replace only magenta cartridge no hard ware replacement is required.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.