Re: Design Jet 5500ps 42" failed hard drive (5839 Views)
Frequent Visitor
goob
Message 1 of 9 (5,896 Views)

Design Jet 5500ps 42" failed hard drive

Had a failed drive,  got a replacement.   Need to know how to reconfigure so the printer will work.  Can not get to any other menus except for the one we get when you hold the top button.   The harddrive spins and is OK.  but then I get boot failed with no code attached.

Help we are already 3 weeks behind.. HP is 2 months back ordered on their hard drive. 

Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 2 of 9 (5,889 Views)

Re: Design Jet 5500ps 42" failed hard drive

Is the drive you got a preloaded hp drive or just a bare new driver.  If a bare new drive it may not work.  From the top menu choose format the drive and do the format and then download the firmware utility from the hp web site and load the driver for the plotter on a pc and have it connected via parallel cable and see if the download using the emergency firmware upgrade will take to the hard disk.  To be honest I have never had success writing the firmware to a brand new non hp drive.

Frequent Visitor
goob
Message 3 of 9 (5,880 Views)

I can't get the computers to comunicate to each other.  I have them hooked up via parral port and I have the drivers downloaded and installed and tried doing through windows command prompt..   I can't get the printer to recieve it.

Under the emergency menu, there is also place to look at different boot files. do we need to have the hardrive formated differenly?  I put the firmware file on the harddrive, but it sitll didn't see it. 

Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 4 of 9 (5,869 Views)

You can not just put the file on the hard disk.  It has to be loaded thru the plotter's parallel port onto the hard drive as it is a special format.  I have a feeling you need to get an orignal hard disk for your plotter and not just any hard disk.  Size of the drive is important since the controller on the main board can only handle certain sizes.

Frequent Visitor
goob
Message 5 of 9 (5,843 Views)

[ Edited ]

I finally got it to upload the new code on Monday.  It can be done.   As far as I can tell, the parallel port won't work  to upload a new firmware to a clean drive.

If you have a Jet Direct card installed (network card) things will work. 

Here is  synopsis of What I did.

You have to hook a computer directly to the printer with a cat5 cable.  If the jet direct card is working, you should be able to see a network address.

Have you printer software installed on the computer.  I used the latest version from the web site.

The computer might not recognize the printer.  But if you have the current drivers, you can install the printer.

Then go into the printer Properties and change the printer to the TCP/ip Lpt1 so it is looking for  an ip address.

Then go into cmd.  (command prompt)

Use the  copy /b *.upg lpt1.  of course be in  the directory that the file is in.

I did it this way, because the file name is way to long to remember.

The printer should be turned on and at the emergency load firmware..  You hold down the top bottom while it is booting up.

Hit the load firmware and it will tell you to send it via.

Hit enter on the computer and send the file.

Hopefully it works for you.. This is how it worked for me..

Valued Contributor
D Hook1
Message 6 of 9 (5,839 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thanks for posting that up.  Is it okay to contact you via private message through this forum for more instructions and info like the size/brand of drive you used?  I'd like to try to make a backup hard drive so WHEN (not if) my disc fails I'll have another ready to go.

Thanks.

Advisor
Eloy Cruz
Message 7 of 9 (4,572 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thanks Goog,

I am in desperate need of the info you posted.  would you,or another knowlwdgeable person,  be so kind as to explain in a bit more detail the section that describes assigning Printer Properties to the printer TCP/ip LPT1. 

I understand about 80% of it, in hteory but that's hardly enough, I need the practical steps.

I'd like to use tha CAT 5/JetDirect route, to avoid the need to use parallel cable, since most of my machines do't even have them anymore

I've seen something similar done by people trying to print from DOS applications.

By the way to anyone interested I found a post of a fellow claiming he has replaced the firmware in a blank drive and gives really cool details.

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Printers-Designjet/Installing-a-new-blank-hard-drive-in-a-DesignJet-550...

Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 8 of 9 (4,561 Views)

Eloy,

In order for this to work the card needs to initialize with a good ip address.  Most times if you have firmware issues the card will not initialize.  If it does below is the procedure you need to follow.

First you need to load the printer on your computer as a local tcp/ip printer.  After loading you need to share the printer.  Now write down the name of your computer (right click on my computer, left click on properties and left click on computer name).  Now you need to type the following:

Net use lpt1: \\computername\sharename

Substitute your computer name for the computer name and substitute the share name you gave the printer for share name.  If the commands loads successfully it will say so.  Now you can use the copy /b command to the lpt port to send the firmware.

Advisor
Eloy Cruz
Message 9 of 9 (4,271 Views)

So the catch 22 is that the jetdirect card will not init,

if the boot-up sequence on the hard drive never completes.

So, it sort of depends on the nature of the HD failure as to whether I might have a network connection.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.