Re: DJ 130nr Yellow ink stops mid-job (419 Views)
Occasional Visitor
b shaw
Message 1 of 16 (1,709 Views)

DJ 130nr Yellow ink stops mid-job

Here's the latest scenario in a long day of trying to fix my DJ 130nr. It had been sitting idle (and turned off) for 6 mos and I just started trying to use it this past week.

The basic problem is that the yellow ink stops flowing during a large print job. The result is a color shift in this print from the correct deep brownish yellow sky to purple. There is a distinct line between where the yellow is flowing and where it stops. I have replaced the print head and have done multiple print head cleanings. Most of the quality checks showed no yellow ink at all, but some showed small amounts. Then when looking at the yellow printhead again, I noted wet black ink on the plastic flap that I think lies against the bottom of the printhead when it is installed. I cleaned this off with a cotton tipped applicator, cleaned the print heads, tested alignment and did a quality test - and for the first time all week, these tests were perfect. I then calibrated my paper which also appeared perfect. I made a 8x11.5 test print that was perfect. I started a 16 x 24 print and after a 6 x 24 inch band of correct color was printed, the yellow stopped and the color shifted to purple.
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 2 of 16 (1,709 Views)

Re: DJ 130nr Yellow ink stops mid-job

Yellow seems to be an ongoing issue with this plotter. It is always possible you have a air pocket in the ink tube assembly and when it reaches the printhead each time the head run out of ink and the air pocket is again created someplace in the tube assembly.
Advisor
sean austin
Message 3 of 16 (1,709 Views)

I had the same day as you! Can you see air bubbles in the yellow ink line that runs to the printhead carriage?

I keep running out of yellow part way through print jobs and I can see where the yellow just isn't being pushed through the line. Printheads, cleanings, calibrations etc all go fine, but the printer can't keep the line primed with enough yellow to finish the job.

After catching up on this forum, it's becoming apparent that this is the Achille's heel of the 130.

Sean
Trusted Contributor
Bill Zhong
Message 4 of 16 (1,709 Views)

here's what you need to purge the inktubes,
it's on service manual page 8.

Set Flag to Prime Tubes
The purpose of this utility is to prime the Ink Supply Tubes after they have
been replaced (or if a situation arises where you need to force the priming
procedure).
Prime the Ink Supply Tubes as follows:
Make sure that you install Printheads that havenâ t had
priming already done to them.
1 Hold the power button down and press the cancel button three times and
the resume button three times.
2 Switch Off the printer and then On again in order to start the priming of the
Ink Supply Tubes.
Hold Power Button Press Resume button three times
Press Cancel
button three times
Always print an extra copy, just in case you might need it.
Let's keep the trees growing and the flowers blooming.
Advisor
john gury
Message 5 of 16 (1,709 Views)

Don't do a prime w/o the special empty prime heads or you will have a big mess. Plus that will not fix the yellow ink delivery problem that is systematic with this printer. You can change the yellow head then you will think it is ok unitl they intiial yellow charge runs out as it is not getting refilled from the big cart. No known fix and don't spend anything trying to fix it.
Occasional Visitor
b shaw
Message 6 of 16 (1,709 Views)

This is not the first time I have read that there is no known fix for the problem. However, I also know of some users of the printer that have not experienced this issue.
I do not believe the problem could be the result of the ink tubes having air within them if the print job runs out of ink at almost exactly the same time each try. This supports the suggestion that the yellow print head is not refilling during the print job and runs out as soon as its charge is spent. Discovering the fault and fixing it would not seem to be that difficult, especially since it supposedly only occurs with the yellow print head. What is unique about the yellow print head that causes it and not the others to fail?
Occasional Visitor
DKnight
Message 7 of 16 (1,709 Views)

I also started having the exact same problem with the yellow ink. Performing a head clean might help for a little but after a couple inches the yellow quits, very frustrating when printing on large, expensive paper.
I submitted a case and received a call from HP but they wanted me to pay $39.95 for telephone support, I submitted an e-mail and received a response that it might be an old print head (It was brand new) or outdated ink (very slightly (oct 09). I looked at the feed tubes and there were many, large bubbles in the yellow feed line. I removed the ink bag from the cartridge so I could try applying a little pressure and the ink moved forward then back as if there were a clog even with the recommendation of taking an old cartridge, removing the rubber ball and emptying the ink so that there should be no backpressure. I dissassembled the print mechanism to try and find the clog and it appears to be in the area where the feed lines travel diagonally down to the print heads, no easy way to clean without surgery?
I then was curious why no other colors had the problem and looked at the head wiper area and only the yellow ink had residue buildup proving it is a basic design issue with their yellow ink. Photo attached
Occasional Visitor
DKnight
Message 8 of 16 (1,709 Views)

Here is an image of a dry ink clog next to a couple of drops of liquid ink in the feed line for comparison.
Occasional Visitor
b shaw
Message 9 of 16 (1,709 Views)

To DKnight: So were you able to fix the thing so it works? If so, how?
Occasional Visitor
DKnight
Message 10 of 16 (1,709 Views)

I sent an e-mail back in response to HPs initial response asking for more help and was waiting for their response before trying anything new. The next step might be to try and disconnect the tube from the valve that the print head connects to (not sure how yet) and then try and force the clog through or get a fine wire and try and fish out the clog. The other approach is to cut out the section with the clog and splice in a new tube but that may be the last resort. Not sure how hard it is to replace the entire tubing?
Honored Contributor
Carl Hennig
Message 11 of 16 (1,291 Views)

DKnight

Attached is a preventive maintenance cleaning procedure used by HP.
It shows a method of cleaning the ink supply station and the capping system.

Note: The print heads in the DJ130 contain 8ml of ink and the tubes approx. 6ml. Purging one colour would require about 50 A4 pages of solid colour.
If the ink station is clean and the pump actuators are working, this will clear up the air in the tubes and move any debris out.
You can download purge patterns from:
Ink purging patterns
http://www.inksupply.com/purging.cfm
Occasional Visitor
charliebice
Message 12 of 16 (1,216 Views)

I hope someone is still on this forum section.

History is that this printer has been sitting idle for at least a year.  I got it back out because we wanted to do some posters.  Got all new printheads and ink cartridges.  Like above yellow prints at first, then quits. 

I have done the image quality test which says I should replace the yellow printhead (first quality test is fine, second and third show no yellow).  I did a soft clean and when that didn't change anything I manually cleaned the head.  Still no better.

The yellow feed tube is almost completely empty.  I have run about 50 pages of pure yellow and still don't have anything to show for it.  The small drops of ink in the tube have moved about an inch.

So, is the purging issue the way to solve this problem or is there another way to do it?  Is there a clog that needs to be cleared or another fix I am not aware of?

thanks.

Occasional Visitor
faithguy27
Message 13 of 16 (1,138 Views)

I am still purging right now with the 130nr and have gotten through a roll page 24x36...im still having the same problems as everyone else and i have cleaned the printer, replaced the yellow ink and yellow printhead and still no luck.  I will keep you updated if i fix it.  Also i saw that replacing the print tubes would help.  This for 60 dollars...easy fix at least i hope

Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 14 of 16 (1,134 Views)

Yellow is a major issue on this series.  It seems to clog inside the tube assembly and all the purging in the world will not unclog it.  The tube assembly is not that expensive and I would recommend just replacing it since the cost of new printheads once the old ones run out of ink will cost more in the long run.  Keep in mind once you use printheads with the tube clogged, even if you get a new tube assembly you will still have to replace the printhead since it will no longer refill.  I made myself a sort of hand pump piece to prime the tubes manually.  I took a larger plunger hypo and fitted the end of the printhead that fits over the piece in the carraige assembly.  When I pull up on the hypo it draws ink thru the tubes and when it is flowing ok I then put in the printhead.  Yellow is always a problem as as I pull up on the hypo and release it just pulls the plunger back down and draws no ink and indicates the tube is clogged.  I have tried a number of solutions, especially those designed to epson inks and have been unable to unclog the yellow tube yet on any that are clogged.  Tried on at least a dozen so the issue is the tube assembly.  All the drawing of ink is done with the power off.

Occasional Advisor
Kebashow
Message 15 of 16 (429 Views)

Can you please show a picture of your homemade device used in purging the tube manually, or an instructible to help others create one??

Many thanks

Occasional Advisor
Kebashow
Message 16 of 16 (419 Views)

So I decided to take the plunge and sort this clog out myself. And it paid off

I used a syringe and needle, took out the print heads and then begun priming the tubes.

All the air pockets and any other blockage came out through the syringe. No patches on any of the 6 tubes linking the cartridges to the heads

It took a few minutes, primed all 6 heads, and set the printer to prime itself on the next startup

Voila !!! 

All heads are working, as shown in the status printout (Before & After)

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.