750C Plus is receiving error message 03003 001601C7 (360 Views)
Occasional Visitor
kirk gutberlet
Message 1 of 8 (360 Views)
Accepted Solution

750C Plus is receiving error message 03003 001601C7

During printer initialization the carriage moves to the right into the printer housing, then makes a slight grind noise and stops, "System error 030003 001601c7" then appears. Any suggestions on what this means and how to fix it?
Thank you for any advise.
Please use plain text.
Respected Contributor
Dave  Engler
Message 2 of 8 (360 Views)

Re: 750C Plus is receiving error message 03003 001601C7

I have the manual and I tell ya it's not a lot of help for your error.
What I found is this.
Make sure of two things:

Clean the shaft with alcohol that print head rides back and forth on - this can cause your grinding /error.

Second and most important:
So much documentation is based on the firmware! If the problems persist YOU MUST call HP :have your Serial# ,Model#, Firmware version and the problems encountered ready
when you contact HP.

Theres pages and pages of problems fixed/repaired by having the most upgraded
firmware installed. They then can foward the proper firmware to you via e-mail ect.

Good Luck- Dave Engler
When in Doubt- Call for service
Please use plain text.
Esteemed Contributor
Scott_261
Message 3 of 8 (360 Views)

I am not familliar with the 030003 error. The 030001 indicates a problem with the service station - and that is located in the left hand side. Take a look at the belt and make sure it is not damaged in any way, make sure there are no paper jams left over as well.

If I had to guess I would say the grinding noise is caused by the Ortho Wiper - the wiper designed to clean off the bottom of the black cartridge. Here is how to test for it:

Press ENTER at the Status display.

Use the arrow keys to scroll to the Utilities main menu. Press ENTER.

Simultaneously press the ENTER and UP arrow keys to access the Service Test menu.

Scroll to 20 Ortho Wiper, and press ENTER.

The Testing Wiper / Press Enter to Stop message is displayed on the front panel.

The Cycles done = # / Press Enter to Stop message is displayed on the front panel. Press ENTER to stop the test.

NOTE: If the ENTER button is not pressed during the test, the printer will automatically stop the test after six cycles.

Check the left side of the printer to see if the Ortho Wiper is operating correctly.

If there is no movement, or an unusual noise is observed, replace the Service Station assembly.

I included a picture of the ortho wiper. The item with a purple cicrle is the wiper itself and the red oval is around the screw that it moves along.
HHHhhmmm ..... OK
Please use plain text.
Esteemed Contributor
Scott_261
Message 4 of 8 (360 Views)

oops .. the picture is there but the color didnt save .. I think it can still be understood though.

** One slight work of caution - please avoid using alcohol when cleaning the plotters. Use a lint free cloth dampened with warm water. Coffee filters are great for this.
HHHhhmmm ..... OK
Please use plain text.
Esteemed Contributor
Scott_261
Message 5 of 8 (360 Views)

When you wipe the slider rod off you will need to rapply the lubrication - you will want to use a light weight synthetic lubrication - like sewing machine or clipper oil. The prefered lubrication would be Nye Oil - it was designed by Nye Corp. specifically to be used with the Teflon Bushing in the carriage along with the steel slider rod that Dave is describing. The Nye oil can be ordered from HP Partd Direct @ 800-227-8164 ( part # 6040-0855 )

Unfortunatly the firmware for this printer is on a SIMM so it couldnt be emailed out. It would have to be purchased ( from parts direct ) The latest FW rev is M/R 01.12 - the model # of the plotter would be needed to specify the part number.
HHHhhmmm ..... OK
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Sa'ad Mu'asher
Message 6 of 8 (360 Views)

Hi Kirk,

First of all the Carriage housing is on the left side of the plotter and on the right side you can find what is called the Spittoon Assembly, and there beigns our troubleshooting. The grind noise might be as Scott said due to the Ortho-wiper motor and i could not be certain that it can cause such errors. This error can be caused by a high friction along the two slider rods or a faulty Y-motor (carriage motor) or a frayed belt or sometimes an "oiled" belt.
What you can do so far is to check the two rods and perfectly clean them with a lint-free cloth. Check the main belt if shredded. If you see the belt is ok, then after cleaning the rods lubricate them with the HP oil:

http://partsurfer.hp.com/cgi-bin/spi/main?sel_flg=partinfo&template=main&cpric=&psrchmode=&partsrch=...

To check the Y-motor performance- If you are familiar with the 750C disassembly, remove the right hand cover and with a screwdriver poke the motor, if you see some black "debris" falling down from the motor this indicates to a certain limit that the motor performance is degrading.
Now as the Encoder Strip is a Y-axis part, it would be better to make sure it is clean and not damaged. So, clean it with another lint-free cloth WITHOUT ANY ADDITIVES, BE CAREFUL THE STRIP IS SHARP.

Let's try cleaning first if the belt is not worn out, and kindly post any result.

Regards,

Sa'ad

P.S. I emphasize Scott's note about avoiding alcohol. Dampened lint-free cloth is good for cleaning.
If there is a will, there is a way.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Sa'ad Mu'asher
Message 7 of 8 (360 Views)

Scott- I think there is a mixup over here. The error 030003 indicates Y-axis failures where the 030010 indicates problems with the Service Station (SVS). Plus, kirl has incorrectly written 03003 in the message title and corrected it in the post description.

That does not mean we have to rule out the SVS failure possibility, if the Ortho-wiper test failed after performing our cleaning steps above, then the SVS has to be taken into consideration.

Please kirl post the result, we still have some points to discuss if the problem persists.

Regards,

Sa'ad
If there is a will, there is a way.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
kirk gutberlet
Message 8 of 8 (360 Views)

After lubricating the slide rods and etc. The printer is now receiving "Switch off power check cartridge path". My drive belt is showing signs of wear. Don't know whether to tackle belt change or not, but thanks for all the replies.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation