"Windows cannot locate a suitable printer driver" (2886 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Brad Walan
Message 1 of 10 (2,886 Views)

"Windows cannot locate a suitable printer driver"

I already disabled the group ploicy about kernel mode drivers but this is not the issue. I want to install NT drivers onn the Server 2003 servers so that NT clients will get the correct drives and be able to print. I keep getting this error: "Windows cannot locate a suitable printer driver"

Even tough it's the correct drive form the HP site. I have been able to get NT drivers form other manufacturers to load.

What do I need to do?

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Rachel_13
Message 2 of 10 (2,886 Views)

Re: "Windows cannot locate a suitable printer driver"

I have the same problem - with the Laserjet 5n driver and the 8500 driver - PS and PCL.
Help!
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Roger Faucher
Message 3 of 10 (2,886 Views)

Brad:

See if this white paper helps you: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/techinfo/overview/pointandprint.mspx

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Brad Walan
Message 4 of 10 (2,886 Views)

Thanks for the information and please forgive my spelling in my original post; I was a bit frustrated at that point. I DID find a solution to my exact problem but am not sure why it worked. I could not install some NT drivers from the Windows 2003 server even though it let me install them on the server and they were available under additional drivers. When an NT client tried to install the printer it acted like it installed but would not print. It said printer not available or module not installed.

HOWEVER if I added a separate printer with ONLY the NT drivers i.e. HP4000-NT it then worked fine for all NT machines to install the drivers and printer from the server. For some reason the 2000 and NT drivers cannot install from the same point even though Server 2003 says they are available.

Anyone now why this is? I would expect non-compatible drivers to not be installable on the server period.

Oh yes use the PS driver if they are available but some Canon copiers will not allow storage to mailboxes without PCL.

Hope this saves someone the time I spent on this.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Simon Parisi
Message 5 of 10 (2,886 Views)

Dear Brad Walan

Thanks for your description, i had the same problem with a HP LaserJet 4200 PCL6 driver. Seems your workaround is the only way to solve the problem, but it works fine.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Rachel_13
Message 6 of 10 (2,886 Views)

I guess I'm confused by this answer - if you have 2 drivers on the server (i.e. I installed the w2k print driver, then added another separate printer on the same server only with nt drivers), it will still show both drivers are installed under sharing. So how is this different from just having one printer with both drivers - now it's just 2 printers with both drivers?
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Brad Walan
Message 7 of 10 (2,886 Views)

That is exactly my point; it should work or not let me install the NT driver at all. If all of the drivers NT and W2K etc. are installed and available off the server ( under server properties.) However, if you install a printer from an NT machine off of a shared printer on Server 2003 it installs but doesn't print.

Anyway, if you have this issue install a printer with a unique extension NT- and only install the NT drivers for that. It will then work fine installing off the 2003 server

Postsript drivers work fine but some Canon copiers require PCL to store to their mailbox etc.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
aa_26
Message 8 of 10 (2,886 Views)

This solution worked for me:

1. On the NT machine, Using "Add Printer", Install the Printer and NT Drivers as if you were setting up to local LPT1:.

2. Ok, you should now have a valid Printer (ie Local) on Printers.

3. Go to the Printer Properties, Ports (see LPT1 still selected), 'Add Port', 'Local Port', and enter in your \\SERVERNAME\PrinterShareName

4. On the Ports Tab, you should now see a new port pointing direcly to your Networked share! Cool solution.

These problems are too common with HP. Gesh, it's year 2004.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
PAUL FILIATRAULT
Message 9 of 10 (2,886 Views)

The solution aa posted worked well for me. Thanks aa! Does HP know why Windows considers its NT 4 printer drivers "not suitable" in shared network printer applications like the ones discussed in this thread and what is being done to remedy the problem? The solution proposed by aa works but it's a total workaround and not exactly what you'd call elegant.. .

Just curious. Thanks
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Valet2
Message 10 of 10 (1,432 Views)

That is AWESOME! I should have create a "local port" not network one!

Printer is connected to Win2003 and shared, I couldn't connect to it from Win7-64, but it worked fine with 32-bit systems.

Your advice really helped me!
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation