Print spooler in Win 7 shuts down when printing to Laserjet P1606dn through ew2500 print server (726 Views)
Visitor
mwacsny
Message 1 of 6 (726 Views)

Print spooler in Win 7 shuts down when printing to Laserjet P1606dn through ew2500 print server

Used JetDirect CD to set up print server and install printer on a Windows 7 Pro PC 64bit w/SP1. The printer and print server are connected with a  USB cable. After updating print server to a static IP address on the wireless network subnet (the same IP assigned to the printer), had slight difficulty finding print server on wireless network with the Install Network Printer Wizard but finally did so  to install the printer icon on the PC. My problems were that each time I printed  a test page successfully to the printer it still left an entry in the print queue and shut down the print spooler. If I restarted the spooler, another copy of the test page would print and the spooler would shut down again. Furthermore, I would erratically lose communication with the print server forcing me to power cycle it and the printer. Obviously without solving these two problems , the print server is useless to me.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to why this is happening and how to remedy it. Just to be sure I updated the print server's firmware to the current version, 41.12, and downloaded the latest Install Wizard, vers. 8.1 but it changed nothing.

Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 2 of 6 (711 Views)

Re: Print spooler in Win 7 shuts down when printing to Laserjet P1606dn through ew2500 print server

Why are you using printer wizard software? The easy way is if you know which I assume you do the ip address of the print server, then just use the add printer, local printer and in the create port drop down choose standard tcp/ip and just follow the prompts. When you get to the makers page, say have disk and then browse to the location of the printer drivers and continue and finish up.
Visitor
mwacsny
Message 3 of 6 (703 Views)

Re: Print spooler in Win 7 shuts down when printing to Laserjet P1606dn through ew2500 print server

Thank you David for your reply.

My only defense is that I have not recently set up any HP Print Servers so I felt a bit unsure of myself to try something so direct and uncomplicated as what you proposed. I felt I should go by the Book.

Anyway, just before your reply, as a test case, I was successful using the Install Wizard to install in XP, SP3 an old Xerox Phaser 8400 in my office which has only USB and legacy parallel interfaces - no Ethernet port using an IP address at all. I printed wirelessly to the Xerox with a PCL driver through the HP ew2500 print server connected to the Xerox with a USB cable. But there was no loss of the Windows print spooler after printing and no erratic disconnect of the print server as was happening at my client.

Just to check you out I then followed your advice to install the Xerox printer's PS driver and that worked out just fine without the Install Wizard.

I am concluding that there is some problem on my client's network that is causing these problems. Someone suggested that the printer's communication mode should not be bidirectional but after observing that the Xerox was  bidirectional

by default the lack of similar problems seemed to rule that out as a solution.  Either something conflicting must be running in the client's Windows 7 or maybe their wireless router configuration has  some problem? In any case I plan to bypass the Install Wizard as you suggested and see if maybe that solves it.

Mike

Visitor
mwacsny
Message 4 of 6 (693 Views)

Just to follow up. Bypassing the use of the Install Wizard did nothing to solve this problem of shutting down  the print spooler and frequent loss of contact with the print server. I am convinced that  the problem is being caused by some setting or feature or driver for the LaserJet Pro P1606dn but I just don't know what it is. I originally used Smart Install to install that printer for USB and later installed for wired Ethernet on the XP PCs but only for Ethernet on the Windows 7 PCs. So when I opted to keep the available driver when installing wirelessly with the print server it was the same driver from the Smart install which may not be adequate. I would have used the Driver CD for the P1606CD but my client misplaced it. I finally chose the driver provided in Windows 7 but got the same results. An attempt to download the full driver CD equivalent resulted in not being able to get the driver files into a folder that I could point to but it tried to do an online install instead. 

Also tried using the print server with a Canon ImageClass D1150 MF printer but although the printer was recognized by the print server, but I think not entirely right as the amber LED for the printer connection kept blinking. Attempts to print failed but there was no loss of the print spooler and no loss of contact with the print server. Only the p1606dn was capable of doing that. If I had success with either of these printers my client would have been satisfied but I only got it working perfectly in my office with an old, obsolete Xerox Phaser 8400B. Now it appears as if  I will have to return the print server and take my loss.

Visitor
mwacsny
Message 5 of 6 (679 Views)

Finally found the printer install CD and used that printer driver and the results were identiical.

Getting desperate, so I'm trying to get direct HP support but could only talk briefly today with someone supporting their print servers and she is implying that there may be a problem with Microsoft's print spooler which in Windows 7 Pro SP1 I find incredulous.

mbq
Occasional Visitor
mbq
Message 6 of 6 (575 Views)

I understand your frustration! I'm going out tomorrow to buy a new printer. I hope that fixes the problem as I'm DONE! My time is precious and instead of doing quotes I'm trying to figure out a problem that neither HP or MS want to sort out! Well no more HP for me and in the next few months, MS can bugger off for good as well.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.