Jetdirect J2380 /J2546 - Firmware upgrade? (70 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Gary McKenzie
Message 1 of 13 (70 Views)
Accepted Solution

Jetdirect J2380 /J2546 - Firmware upgrade?

I recently purchased a nice used 4si MX printer intending to use it on a small MS Win98se peer-to-peer network. One feature I was hoping to use was the included J2380 Ethernet card but could not get the JetAdmin software to recognize the card. I cannot find any mention of this JetDirect part number anywhere on the site.

I did a cold reset on the card but that still didn't do the trick. After searching through the JetAdmin's help, I read that the firmware rev needed to be X.0306 or higher to work on Win95 (assume same for Win98se). Printed a test page and it reported the firmware was A.02.01.

OK, found the problem but my next question, is there a way to upgrade the firmware and how? The card has a small simm with a part number of J2546-60001. Again, could not find any information on the HP website for this part number either.

How do I solve this and where can I find information. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Marcin Golembski_1
Message 2 of 13 (70 Views)

Re: Jetdirect J2380 /J2546 - Firmware upgrade?

Did the test page report A.02.01 with the simm installed or not? The card you have is probably one of these: J2371A, J2372A, J2337A, J2338A, J2339A, or J2340A - IIRC there was never J2380A card, maybe only J2380-xxxxx part. J2546-60001 is most probably a flash simm which allows upgrading any of the above card's firmware, which normally was in ROM (i.e. not upgradable). The latest version for the mentioned cards is C.03.19.

You should be able to download the firmware and upgrade it on the card using Download Manager from here:
http://www.hp.com/cposupport/networking/software/dlwin32a.exe.html

HTH,
Marcin
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Gary McKenzie
Message 3 of 13 (70 Views)

Thanks for the reply. To answer your questions and clarify:

1. Yes the simm was installed when producing the test page showing a rev level of A.02.01.

2. Upon closer examination of the card, I found "2337" with an "A" underneath that, silkscreened onto the PCB.

Haven't downloaded the Download Manager, yet, but one more question, will this software "sniff" out the card. My network currently doesn't even see the card, but that is using JetAdmin v3.4.

This leads to another question, is there a better tool or more recent rev level that I can download to manage JetDirect cards on a MS Win98SE peer-to-peer network than JetAdmin v3.4?

Thanks again for the help.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Marcin Golembski_1
Message 4 of 13 (70 Views)

1. Then the card probably has even older revision of the firmware, I would recommend upgrading to the latest rev.

2. Well, if there's no "J" in front of that number that may be only a coincidence - 4 digits alone look like a manufacturing date code. I would not bother for now.

Download Manager should not have any problem with detecting the card on the network provided it is configured with an IP address (which you can do through the 4Si's front panel MIO Menu). It is designed to upgrade all those old cards anyway :-)

JetAdmin was discontinued on 31 Jan 2001, here's some info:
http://www.hp.com/cposupport/networking/support_doc/bpj06765.html
HP Install Network Printer Wizard is now recommended for small and medium networks. I cannot check it but it might work with your card without upgrading its firmware.

Marcin
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Gary McKenzie
Message 5 of 13 (70 Views)

Downloaded and installed Download Manager. It was able to find the JetDirect card and said that it could upgrade the firmware. DLM acted strange, took awhile but finally came back and said it was complete. However, when I ran a self test page, the firmware was unchanged.

When through the process again. DLM detected the card again, said it needs to be upgraded and when I give it the go ahead, DLM hangs.

BTW, the card is indentified by DLM as a J2372. What am I missing?
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Marcin Golembski_1
Message 6 of 13 (70 Views)

Did you powered the printer off and on before printing self test page and attempting the upgrade for the second time? When DLM completed, did it report success or error?

Check your TEMP directory for a file named similar to DMLog13-Dec-01.10.38.49.xml, open it in Internet Explorer and see if there are any error messages. Check c:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Download Manager\Upgrades\Jetdirect\ directory (that's default dir, use yours if you had changed it) for two files: C0319en.dld (this is the firmware file, verify it's 803328 bytes) and firmware.glf (a text info file for DLM).

Marcin
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Gary McKenzie
Message 7 of 13 (70 Views)

I uninstalled DLM and started again with a fresh install. Experienced the same results:

Found the card and reported that it could be upgraded to 03.19.

Clicked OK to perform the upgrade now which caused DLM to download the firmware upgrade again. After the download was complete (I monitored the modem status), the system appeared to do nothing for two or three minutes. The dialogue box reported that it was downloading but never showed any progress regarding the upgrade. Finally, the DLM dialogue box reported these results:

Devices to be upgraded: 0
Successful upgrades: 0
Upgrade failures: 0

After closing the dialogue box, a folder titled "Upgrade Results" was added to the folders under "All Devices" in the "Status" View pane. When clicking upon any of the sub folders within the "Upgrade Results", the listing for the jetdirect card would disappear in the main window/pane.

I repeated the process but swapped out the J2372 card with a J2552 that had a firmware level of A03.06. DLM went through the same procedure, found the card, saying that it found a new upgrade, A05.05, downloaded the upgrade and apparently attempted to upgrade the card...and then gave the same results. No firmware upgrade. I must be doing something wrong.

To answer your other questions:

Did you powered the printer off and on before printing self test page and attempting the upgrade for the second time?

Yes. Reported the old firmware release when printing the self test page (both cards).

When DLM completed, did it report success or error?

See above response.

Check your TEMP directory for a file named similar to DMLog13-Dec-01.10.38.49.xml, open it in Internet Explorer and see if there are any error messages.

Yes. The file(s) are there. Not really sure what I am looking for through the logs, except that it seems to report everything as being OK, successful upgrade, then there are two successive lines near the end which report the "old" and "new" firmware levels as being the same.

Check c:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Download Manager\Upgrades\Jetdirect\ directory (that's default dir, use yours if you had changed it) for two files: C0319en.dld (this is the firmware file, verify it's 803328 bytes) and firmware.glf (a text info file for DLM).

Yes on both issues.

I must be missing something very elementary because it is giving every indication of that it should work...recognizes the card, gets the patch, seems to be trying to upgrade but doesn't.

Thanks for your help...hope we can solve this.

Marcin
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Marcin Golembski_1
Message 8 of 13 (70 Views)

I can't find a mistake in what you do so just for a verification here's how I do it, step by step:

- run DLM
- click Local Mode button
- choose Custom Discovery (individual addresses and/or additional networks)
- click Custom Settings button
- click Single Addresses in the Discovery Options pane
- type in the IP address and click Add button and then OK button
- click Begin Discovery button
- you should get a message box informing about the found/not found, upgradable/not upgradable Jetdirects; click OK
- your card should now be listed in the right pane; put a checkmark in the box beside it
- click the upgrade button on the toolbar
- in the 'Upgrade Options' message box you should see:
> Devices to be upgraded: 1
> Firmware files to be downloaded from HP's web site: 0
> Estimated firmware upgrade time: 4 min
- select 'Start firmware upgrade now' option
- you should see the Upgrade Progress message box and the movement of the progress bar should be clearly visible (in my case it doesn't even take 2 minutes...)
- next you should see the 'Firmware Upgrade Results' message box stating:
> Devices to be upgraded: 0
> Successful upgrades: 1
> Upgrade failures: 0
- click OK and click on the newly appeared 'Upgrade Results' folder in the left pane
- your Jetdirect should be listed in the right pane and stating 'Successful Upgrade' under the Details heading

If you see significant differences from the above, what are they?

One more thing has just crossed my mind: are you running any kind of ftp and/or web server on the machine you attempt the upgrade from (maybe as a service in Win NT or Win2k)? Shut it down... DLM uses built-in tftp server and it may conflict with other one running. Can you try the upgrade from a different computer? Are the Jetdirect and computer on the same subnet?

At first I would suspect J2372 but if you get the same with J2552 it's either DLM itself (unlikely, I've used it a lot in Win98, last time a few minutes ago when writing the above procedure :-) or the network.

Marcin
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
harvey_4
Message 9 of 13 (70 Views)

Does this firmware upgrade apply to the following HP JEtdirect EX J2382?

Thanks
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Marcin Golembski_1
Message 10 of 13 (70 Views)

It does, if you have J2547A Flash SIMM installed in your J2382A or J2382B.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Daniel Lindgren
Message 11 of 13 (70 Views)

I get the same problem as Gary McKenzie (above)...

Download manager founds one device that needs upgrade (j2372A) it has firmware A.02.01

I choose "click to start upgrade" it right now

But it will not be upgraded...

Please help!

//Daniel
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Mike Phillips_4
Message 12 of 13 (70 Views)

Now that it's 2003, how can I upgrade the firmware in my JetDirect built into my HP 4Si MX? The card is definitely labeled J2380-60001. The link about for Download Manager is no longer valid. My printer is mysteriously rearranging spaces in printed documents. The problem only shows up when I print to the JetDirect card, not when I print to the parallel port. I had a 22 ohm terminator on the unused BNC connector to get rid of the front panel error message. Could that contribute to the problem (since the BNC is 50 ohm and now has a 50 ohm terminator?)

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Mike Phillips_4
Message 13 of 13 (70 Views)

Disregard. I found the software, and it reports that the firmware is not upgradeable.

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation