Install additional UPD version on existing server? (653 Views)
Occasional Advisor
RadioActiveLamb
Message 1 of 7 (653 Views)

Install additional UPD version on existing server?

We have a situation where we require different versions of the UPD to be installed on a Windows 2008 R2 print server for different queues. In total, there are about 2000 queues. Most use version 5.2, which is the certified version for our primary health care product.

We also have  5.3 and 5.4 installed to support newer printer models that aren't supported by 5.2. In the past, to handle this, we would use the "Add printer driver wizard" in the Printer Management MMC to add the UPD with the version number in the description. We add both 32 and 64 bit versions of each driver to support XP and Windows 7 clients.

Now that we are purchasing new printers that require 5.6 and newer, we need to install a new UPD, but still need to keep the older UPD. When we use the Add Printe Driver Wizard to add the 5.7 driver, the process will take many hours after clicking "Finish", just to install the 64 bit driver. What we're finding is that the wizard is upgrading all the other v5.2 and v5.3 queues to v5.7. Thankfully, we clone the print server into a test environment to do the install before performing it on the production server.

How can we install UPD v5.7 without touching any of the existing queues?

HP Pro
5dollars
Message 2 of 7 (606 Views)

Re: Install additional UPD version on existing server?

Some administrators want to upgrade all printers to a new driver in a single operation, others want a controlled experience.  HP UPD offers the choice, via APW or install.exe command line interface.  

Every printer object (installed printer) has an assigned driver name (Print Properties-Advanced, see Driver field-- this is the driver's name, which may or may not match the print object's name).  What you have witnessed is you choose the UPD generic print driver name "HP Universal Printing [PDL]" when you installed UPD v5.7 (the universal driver name + PDL).  When this happens, every printer object on the server that has driver name "HP Universal Printing [PDL]" will upgrade the printer driver version to the version being installed (in your case, upgrading from driver version release 5.2 to driver version release 5.7).  This forced the Microsoft print system to rebuild all UniDrv dependent bud files which runs for hours.  The UPD Release Notes references you to the following resource 

• KB832219: Users cannot print after you install a service pack, update rollup, or printer hotfix on a server in Windows 2000 or in Windows Server 2003

By comparison, if during the UPD v5.7 install you had selected driver name "HP Universal Printing [PDL] (v5.7.0)" it would not touch existing printer objects that had driver name "HP Universal Printing [PDL]".  It would have created a new printer object with the driver name "HP Universal Printing [PDL] (v5.7.0)".   

Resources in the UPD SYSTEMS ADMINSTRATOR GUIDE:

1. See sections:  Microsoft Windows Driver Architecture; Explanation of driver name

2. See section:  Issues after upgrade from HP UPD v5.2.x.  

3. Technote:  http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/mostViewedDisplay/?sp4ts.oid=503...

Dependent upon what you discover in your environment you may need to be familiar with tools in the Print Admin Resource Kit (PARK); specifically AutoUpgradeUPD or ServerMigrate tool.  

Regards

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Occasional Advisor
RadioActiveLamb
Message 3 of 7 (600 Views)

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately, I am already installing the "HP Universal Printing [PDL] (v5.7.0) " driver. We have not used the name without the version number, and never will. Even using the properly named driver, it is upgrading all the prior versions.  Your solution had worked through version 5.4, but something changed in v5.5. Since v5.5, attempting to install a newer version resulted in the mass upgrade of all the existing queues. Most of our devices use v5.2, and they need to stay that way for now.

There's a lot of information in the link you provided that looks useful. I'll go through that and post a follow-up.

Thanks for pointing me in that direction.

Occasional Advisor
RadioActiveLamb
Message 4 of 7 (583 Views)

Update:

From an elevated command line in the extracted UPD folder, I ran install with these parameters:

install /m"HP Universal Printing PCL 5 (v5.7.0)" /sm"LPT1"

The port isn't important, since I just want the driver installed. So-far, the "HP Universal Printing Installer" has been running for 45 minutes. I don't know at this point what it is trying to do, but most other driver installs take a few seconds. If it continues another 30 mins, then I'll just leave it alone and check the results when I return from vacation on 10/21.

Thanks again for your input.

Honored Contributor
Bob Roell
Message 5 of 7 (569 Views)

Hi - 2 topics:

The answer to your question lies with the shared core files from Microsoft (PCL uses unidrv & PS uses pscript) that are included with the new driver package.  If the unidrv/pscript files are newer, they will replace the version on the server, which will also vend out to all the clients.

Replacing unidrv/pscript also causes all queues that share the file to require a rebuild.  It occurs automatically as soon as you install the new driver, even if you never try to update the version used for each queue.  This rebuild is why the server needs several hours to update your 2000 queues.

-----

I'm surprised UPD 5.2 didn't evoke any comments from '5dollars' - You should be aware that UPD 5.2 had a major bug that required complete replacement to 5.3 or any newer version.  You will most likely need to locate PRNCON.exe in the PARK resource kit & use it on every client in your environment to properly migrate away from 5.2.  If you clean-installed 5.2 (not upgrade), then I believe the bug does cause an issue until you attempt to upgrade. The bug involved "User Mode" data & incompatible DLL libraries, which resulted in many "wierd" preference settings.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, where do you find the time to fix it later?
HP Pro
5dollars
Message 6 of 7 (561 Views)

Check the Unidrv and Pscript5 versions on the server before upgrade.  UPD v5.2 shipped with 6.1.7600.16385; UPD v5.6 shipped with 6.1.7601.21853.  If the version number is lower than the version number packaged in the UPD that you are installing, this change in the system creates the following condition I mentioned previous:

• KB832219: Users cannot print after you install a service pack, update rollup, or printer hotfix on a server in Windows 2000 or in Windows Server 2003

Your method is correct- give it time.  FYI- unidrv update can also come from MS Updates, or any other 3rd party that packages unidrv.

HP Pro
5dollars
Message 7 of 7 (558 Views)

Bob is correct about 5.2, and important to review the items I mentioned previous "Resources in the UPD SYSTEMS ADMINSTRATOR GUIDE".

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.