How do I find out what my SNMP Community Name is? (2154 Views)
Occasional Contributor
Jim Guyer
Message 1 of 3 (2,154 Views)
Accepted Solution

How do I find out what my SNMP Community Name is?

How do I find out what my SNMP Community Name is?

I have an HP8500 color printer that I have put a 600N J3113A ethernet card in. The card needs it's firmware upgraded to be compatible.

After some research, I found out that a quirk of the HP8500 is that you can't do upgrade the jet direct card in it.

So, I put it in my old HP4050. To upgrade, I need to know the SNMP Community Name.

To clear the card, I tried turning the printer off, then holding cancel job to claer it out.

Still, the firmware upgrade demanded a SNMP Community Name.

I tried re-installing the printer chooosing the option "configure yourself" thinking I would see it, but once again, it is demandinding the SNMP Community Name.

Any ideas on how I can find out what that is?
Honored Contributor
Bob Roell
Message 2 of 3 (2,154 Views)

Re: How do I find out what my SNMP Community Name is?

First, I don't think you reset the JD card. Hold the green GO button while turning it on until the display shows Cold Reset & wait a few minutes. You may then need to power cycle the printer 1 more time so that DHCP works. (If you don't have a DHCP service, the JD will not receive an IP address.

Wait 5 minute, then print a config page to see what the address is. The Cold Reset should also restore the SNMP Community Names back to the factory default. The default is "PUBLIC", but it should not prompt you for that.

If you still need more help, please mention what firmware version the JD card is currently at.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, where do you find the time to fix it later?
Occasional Contributor
Jim Guyer
Message 3 of 3 (2,154 Views)

Re: How do I find out what my SNMP Community Name is?

Thanks
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.