Having same issue -- The installer cannot access this registry key (1606 Views)
Occasional Visitor
willsmj
Message 1 of 4 (1,606 Views)

Having same issue -- The installer cannot access this registry key

Hi,
We just purchased a brand new HP Photosmart C3180 printer, and are experiencing the same issue described in this thread. The difference, however, is that I haven't connected the USB cable yet. The full error is:
The installer cannot access this registry key. Please ensure that the installer has access to the registry and click retry to continue installation.
The registry key is HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum. I don't see any lack of permissions on this registry key. I've rebooted multiple times. This error happens when trying to install the Lead registry keys during step 2 of 4. This error occurs with the CD that came with the printer, as well as the software from the HP website. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Megan
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Shashi_4
Message 2 of 4 (1,606 Views)

Re: Having same issue -- The installer cannot access this registry key

open regedit and browse to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum

Right click on "Enum" and select "permissions". Permissions should read as follows:

Everyone - Read
System - Full Control
Administrator - Full Control

Now click the "Advanced button" and in "Permission Entries"
In the first tab (named "Permissions") and select all three usernames (ctrl + click each). Check the box marked "Replace permission entries on all child objects..." and click OK. This should now work
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Harry Parkinson
Message 3 of 4 (1,606 Views)

you are the freaking man
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
sochry
Message 4 of 4 (1,606 Views)

I am seeing this same issue except I am on a Vista platform and I am not allowed to change the permissions of CurrentControlSet\Enum via regedit. Any ideas on what to try now?
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation