Re: HP Universal Printer Driver and Active Directory (2816 Views)
Occasional Contributor
Daniel Penoff
Message 1 of 8 (2,816 Views)

HP Universal Printer Driver and Active Directory

I have a situation where I am trying to deploy the universal printer driver to a number of workstations that are on Active Directory.

The users can get to the window where they can drop down a list of managed printers and choose the one they want. When this occurs, a dialog box comes up saying it is "validating the selected printer," after which a few seconds pass and an error occurs stating, "Unable to set the printer port to this address."

I am almost sure this is some sort of permissions issue, as I can log on as an AD user (I have local administrator rights on my account) and choose and ultimately connect to the chosen network printer.

I have a whole campus of computers ready to deploy and I need to resolve this as quickly as possible. I appreciate any and all suggestions!

Dan
JcS
Occasional Advisor
JcS
Message 2 of 8 (2,816 Views)

Re: HP Universal Printer Driver and Active Directory

Dan,

I too am in a crunch situation and I am also having the same error of "Unable to set the printer port to this address." I was wondering if you were able to resolve the issue?
Occasional Visitor
Philip Fitzsimons
Message 3 of 8 (2,816 Views)

I had the same problem and fixed it - its just requires the program to be run as administrator:
control panel\printers
right click on "HP Universal Printing PCL 6"
"Run as administrator"
"open"

you can now add the printer...
Occasional Visitor
Carl-Erik Kopseng
Message 4 of 8 (2,816 Views)

I get the exact same error message, although I am not sure if it's the same cause.

Anyway, I am using Windows 7, and unfortunately there is no "Run as Administrator" option.

Although, I am running with administrative rights already, but maybe UPD is not configured to use the UAC security built into Windows 7? Maybe I have to turn off UAC to make it work?! I don't like this ...

Anyone with a clue as to how I can solve this are welcome to shout out!
Occasional Visitor
Carl-Erik Kopseng
Message 5 of 8 (2,816 Views)

Confirmed! To be able to install any printer using Windows 7 with the Universal Printer Driver (as of 2009-10-08), you have to disable the User Account Control.

That basically means set it at its lowest setting and reboot. After doing so adding a printer that previously gave the error mentioned above will now work! After doing so you should of course go back to using the default setting of UAC by manually enabling it again. Printing still works, but you will be unable to add any more printers through UPD.

BTW, I am using Windows 7 Professional 64 bit .

Just for reference, and so that Norwegians searching for this error will find this message: The error message in Norwegian is called "Kan ikke sette skriverporten til denne adressen". (Du må skru ned innstillingene for brukerkontokontroll. Bare skriv UAC i søkevinduet, så får du det opp).
Occasional Visitor
Axel Naumann
Message 6 of 8 (2,816 Views)

Here is a work-around for Windows7:

Open C:\Windows\System32 in an explorer. Right-click printmanagement.msc, select "Run as administrator".

In the Print Management window, seleft All Printers in the left panel, double-click "HP Universial Printing" and the setting dialog will open under administrator privileges, allowing you to set the printer address etc.

Axel.
Occasional Visitor
Troy Murdock
Message 7 of 8 (2,816 Views)

Axel, your workaround for Window 7 worked perfectly for me. Thanks.
-Troy

Axel wrote:
Here is a work-around for Windows7:

Open C:\Windows\System32 in an explorer. Right-click printmanagement.msc, select "Run as administrator".

In the Print Management window, seleft All Printers in the left panel, double-click "HP Universial Printing" and the setting dialog will open under administrator privileges, allowing you to set the printer address etc.

Axel.
Occasional Visitor
Sean H
Message 8 of 8 (2,816 Views)

How does this workaround help with a mass printer deployment?

Doesn't this only work for administrators?

How would your typical restricted end user get past the error?

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.