HP Install Network Printer Wizard Windows 7 error (4956 Views)
Occasional Visitor
ebbmd
Message 1 of 5 (4,956 Views)

HP Install Network Printer Wizard Windows 7 error

I am trying to install the NPW version 8.1 on a new Dell Vostro 330 running Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit. I downloaded the 32 bit windows 7 edition, but when I tried to run the wizard, I got an error box saying

"The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail."

I tried uninstalling and downloading the program again with same result. I tried using the Vista file, same result. When I did this last week on another new computer running Windows 7 Professional it worked fine. I noticed that that computer says it had version 8.01, so I uninstalled the wizard on the new computer and tried installing the file from the W7Pro machine, but same result.

I have no clue how to use sxstrace, and can't find any log files in the Hewlett-Packard directory under program files or the C:\ root directory.

Occasional Contributor
PF123
Message 2 of 5 (4,846 Views)

Re: HP Install Network Printer Wizard Windows 7 error

I have the same problem. Win 7 Bus 64Bit. I will try and call HP support today and post any help I get.

Occasional Visitor
Jaroslav_Nekula
Message 3 of 5 (3,737 Views)

Hallo,
I have the same problem. Win 7 HP 64Bit. Please, Have you solution?

Occasional Visitor
mtnsports
Message 4 of 5 (2,529 Views)

[ Edited ]

I had the same problem trying to install INPW on a Win7 x64 machine that I had just refreshed with a clean OS installI tried some of the other suggestions, like opening a command line window as an administrator and running "sfc /scannow" (which came up with no problems in my case), but still had the error when I tried to run the wizardI tried using sxstrace but wasn't able to find anything useful.

Some suggested updating the Visual C++ redistributables, so I downloaded the 2005, 2008, and 2010 redistributables and the service packs for each, then ran Windows Update to get the latest updates.

Then I uninstalled and reinstalled INPW, and it works without the error now.

Hopes this helps!

Occasional Visitor
JulesH3141
Message 5 of 5 (110 Views)

Having the same problem.  Have tried installing redistributables for 2005, 2005SP1, 2008, 2010 and 2010SP1 in both x86 and x64 variants, with no effect.  Any other ideas how to fix this?  The newer Install Printer Wizard runs fine on my system, but apparently doesn't have a driver for my printer (LJ4050).

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.