HP Color LaserJet 4700dn not responding to print server (462 Views)
Collector
EstebanMart
Message 1 of 2 (462 Views)

HP Color LaserJet 4700dn not responding to print server

Hello,

We've recently begun moving all of our printer to a new server running Windows Server 2008 SP2. All of the printers have made the switch and print properly save one, which is a HP Color LaserJet 4700dn. We've tried all different typs of drivers but the end result is the same: we send a test page to the printer, the job status says printing, nothing prints, and then after awhile we get an error.

I can reach the printers web panel via the server, so I don't think there's an issue communicating with the printer, but I am at a loss of what to do. Has anyone experienced this issue and can anyone offer help?

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Chris H
Message 2 of 2 (437 Views)

Re: HP Color LaserJet 4700dn not responding to print server

A couple of things you can try, in order to attempt to narrow down where the problem may lie:

(a) Via the Embedded Web Server, initiate printing of one or more of the printer's own information pages.

Not sure exactly what the EWS will show this as (my LaserJet 1320 EWS has an Information tab, with a Print info pages entry, via which the printing of various information pages can be initiated.

If this results in an intelligible print-out, that would imply that the printer is working, and that the network link is OK.

(b) Try sending the contents of the attached Sample_PCL6_fontGrid.prn file (disguised with an extra .txt extension as I'm not sure whether or not this forum recognies .prn files).

To do this, from a Windows command-prompt session, use the lpr command, as per the following example:

lpr  -S 192.168.1.65  -P any  Sample_PCL6_fontGrid.prn

which would send the contents of the nominated file to the printer with IP-address 192.168.1 65.

This should print a single page, showing (some of the) characters in a particular font within a grid.

The lpr command may only be available if a certain Windows feature (Print and Document Services | LPR Port Monitor) is enabled.

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation