Adding Duplex as default to UPD on Print Queues (408 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Brett Thomas
Message 1 of 3 (408 Views)

Adding Duplex as default to UPD on Print Queues

Couldn't find anything specific on this already on board.

We have about 1000 HP printers on print server. Using the HP UPD PCL 6 (v5.6.5)

Leadership has decided we need to add the duplex feature to the default settings on all of these printers.

I used the PARK driver confuration utility to create new .cfm files, placed them in the spool directories for x86 and x64.

Now the issue:

I notice the existing printers do not update with the new default settings. Even installing the newer UPD 5.7 with the CFM file did not update the new duplex setting.

The only way the printer was updated was by removing and recreating the printer on the server.

So it seems this works only on new printer install.

I really don't want to remove and recreate 1000 printers on the server.

Anyone know of a way to update these printers??

Thank you......

Please use plain text.
HP Pro
SSSuganya
Message 2 of 3 (210 Views)

Re: Adding Duplex as default to UPD on Print Queues

HI ,

Regarding the issue "Even installing the newer UPD 5.7 with the CFM file did not update the new duplex setting."

first have to delete the entire driver package from Printer serber properties then  install the preconfigured driver .

Regards

Suganya

Please use plain text.
HP Pro
5dollars
Message 3 of 3 (178 Views)

Re: Adding Duplex as default to UPD on Print Queues

What you observed is correct behavior.  In the PARK, the tools DCU and DDU are preconfiguration tools-- you preconfigure the driver's INF file to customize to your own installation defaults for the configurable printer settings, then install the printer.  Once installed, the created printer will have your custom defaults.  For your needs, this method offers two possible choices.  You can install with DUPLEX as the default; in addition you can LOCK that setting which would disable users from printing SIMPLEX.

If you wish to change default settings for an existing printer, the answer depends...

1) if you have a printer server, and all connecting clients are point and print, you can select the printer object on the printer server, printer properties, Advance tab, then printing preferences.  Settings you define will propagate to the connecting clients as their defaults.

2) via print policy, you can use the UPD Active Directory template to define via policy that all host members default to duplex, or duplex + Locked.

3) via print policy using the MPA, same as UPD Active Directory template.  This offers the option of controlling settings via policy from a centralized server (MPA) or use the MPA to create a client side XML that you would have each client reference from file share or local driver that also defines duplex or duplex locked.

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation