64 Bit HP BiDi Channel Components Installer (30487 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Ed Sieck
Message 1 of 8 (30,487 Views)

64 Bit HP BiDi Channel Components Installer

My Win2008, 64Bit terminal servers are hit hard with the process "MSIEXEC.exe" and the servers freeze up, especially in the morning hours, perhaps when people log in. In the event logs, I see the following:

Product: 64 Bit HP BiDi Channel Components Installer -- The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2753. The arguments are: ipm12.8444768D_9A2B_44BE_BD52_02FB1B25C55E

Any ideas on how to fix the problem?
Occasional Visitor
amelnik
Message 2 of 8 (30,487 Views)

Re: 64 Bit HP BiDi Channel Components Installer

I have exact same thing happening with my win2008 64bit terminal server, my logs are full of it. I can't believe HP support still has not replied to this. Do they even read their own support forums?
Occasional Visitor
Ed Sieck
Message 3 of 8 (30,487 Views)

My problems began when I installed the most recent drivers from HP. Yesterday I changed all HP printer drivers on my print server to Windows defaults and selected PCL5 whenever possible. I'm not sure why, but this APPEARS to have fixed the problem--HOWEVER,school is out of session and I don't have very many people logged on and can't guarantee this will be a solution. You might give it a try on a few suspect printers.
Occasional Visitor
amelnik
Message 4 of 8 (30,487 Views)

Hmm, don't think switching to pcl 5 will work for me, I have a ton of printers with pcl 6 plus whatever users use at home. I use the fall back printer drive on the terminal server, so that "should" preclude any problems.
If I swith print drivers, too many documents will be affected by change of format, so that's not an option. In any case we have not updated any printer drivers in months.
Occasional Advisor
Mietek Wojciechowski
Message 5 of 8 (30,487 Views)

I've got the same problem,
the funny thing is that the printers are installed on the file servers and the error occur on the mail server (2008 x64), the printers were pushed via GPO so I moved the service user accounts to different container and removed the network printers from the server and I will monitor the logs

would be great if someone from HP can respond to this issue and apply some solution.
Occasional Visitor
aturk
Message 6 of 8 (27,566 Views)

This has fixed it for me in all instances. I have had to preform it on some client laptops, and also the print server.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01682861&dimid=1001553288&di...

The current suggested workaround for customers that wish to continue to use the latest discrete PCL 6, PCL 5, or Postscript drivers from hp.com will need to perform the following:

1. Open Notepad and save the file as hpzbdi32.msi or hpzbdi64.msi. This zero-byte file will not contain any data.
  2. Navigate to the C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86 or x64\3 directory and locate the hpzbdi32.msi or hpzbdi64.msi file. Rename the file to hpzbdi32.old or hpzbdi64.old.
  3. Copy and paste the newly created zero-byte file named hpzbdi32.msi or hpzbdi64.msi into theC:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86 or x64\3 directory.
  4. Verify functionality.

NOTE:

Depending on configuration, it may be necessary to stop the spooler, perform the steps in the workaround, and restart the spooler once the steps have been completed.

NOTE:

Please note that if the customer performs this workaround and a reinstallation of the driver is performed, the zero-byte msi file will be overwritten by the original msi file in the original driver package. All steps in the workaround would need to be performed again.

Occasional Visitor
jimmy1264
Message 7 of 8 (12,863 Views)

I tried this temp fix which I found on other boards but it re-creates itself. Need HP to identify issue and solve rather then temp fix.

HP Pro
ApolloXIII
Message 8 of 8 (12,576 Views)

Hi jimmy1264,

Have you tried using the HP UPD instead of a discrete printer driver?   The HP UPD uses a newer version of this component, and the problem you are seeing was resolved in UPD several versions ago. 

Depending on how many print queues you have, you may want to also look at AutoUpgradeUPD.exe in the PARK (Print Administrator's Resource Kit) available at http://www.hp.com/go/upd.     This utility can be used to automate the process of upgrading from older product-specific drivers to a new version of HP UPD.  

Once the queues have been updated/recreated, I would recommend removing the old driver(s) from the server.

Say Thanks by clicking the thumbs up icon.
Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution
(Although I am employed by HP, I am speaking for myself and not for HP)
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.