40 EIO 2 BAD TRANSMISSION error on HP 4100TN (3205 Views)
Occasional Contributor
peter villumsen
Message 1 of 16 (3,205 Views)

40 EIO 2 BAD TRANSMISSION error on HP 4100TN

I am experiencing problems on at least 4 of our HP4100tn printers. The setup is: NT 4.0 print server and w2k workstations. The problem occurs when a print job is executed resulting in the above mentioned error on the display and blank sheets of paper og a PS error printed.
I have tried the following with no success:
1. cold reset
2. Firmware upgrade (download manager)
3. swap jetdirect card from EIO 2 to EIO 1
4. Updated drivers (on printserver)

The printers have permanent IP adresses and can be pinged and the 4100 series is apparently the only one with this problem. We also have HP 4000, HP 4050, HP 5000, HP 4 M plus etc. all working fine.

Can anyone suggest a sollution?
peter
Occasional Visitor
Keith West
Message 2 of 16 (3,205 Views)

Re: 40 EIO 2 BAD TRANSMISSION error on HP 4100TN

I have a similar situation. We just purchased an HP4100N.
Setup: NT4.0 print server, Windows 2000 Terminal servers with the latest 4100 PS drivers from the HP website. I also have some local Windows 2000 users. The only time I am seeing this symptom is when two specific users attempt to print an Outlook 2000 email from a specific individual. One of the users is printing from a Windows 2000 Terminal server session and the other from Windows 2000 Professional on his local desktop. The printer display panel shows "40 EIO 2 BAD Press Go to Continue." It then prints out the email, followed by a blank page and a third page with a timeout error. If these users print the same email to an alternate printer (ex. HP4Plus)the document prints normally. Any suggestions?
Keith West
Occasional Visitor
Mark Fricke
Message 3 of 16 (3,205 Views)

I have a similar problem. I have a HP4100N and HP4050. Running WIN98, Novell 3.1. and the printers have static IP addresses. I also printed the config page and It is only showing 5 bad packets out of 1,238,139 which is much less the the normal ammount of 5%. In my situation though they will only print half the job, then start over and print the job two or three times.

I also have tried upgrading the firmware, changing EIO slots. Nothing seems to work.

Anyone have any ideas.

Mark Fricke
Occasional Contributor
peter villumsen
Message 4 of 16 (3,205 Views)

I have been in close contact with HP's support in sweden and have received a beta firmware upgrade for the J4169A EIO card, firmware version L.22.09. This should apparently solve the problem, have tested it for a short while and I am still getting the 40 EIO 2 bad transmission error when printing a test page from the printserver. I will test some more and let you know the result. I have just tried to use the HP 4000 series PS driver and this seems to solve the problem. But not 100 % sure yet. More to come.......
peter
Advisor
Yngve Amundsen
Message 5 of 16 (3,205 Views)

Mr. Willumsen:
Some questions:
Is it possible to print properly from Your NT server?
What driver do You use?
Have You tried with another driver?
Have You tried with the MS drivers?
What Service Pack does this server have?
Have you tried a peer to peer connection from one of Your Win 2000 workstations? - to bypass the NT 4.0 print server?
I suspect this will bypass Your problem as well. I've seen it before, when printing FROM Win 2000 TO NT that things will go haywire.
To fully fix the problem one solution will be to get a fix from Microsoft, or install Win 2000 on Your printerserver.

To bypass the printer server you'll need the Standard Port Monitor located at:
ftp.hp.com/pub/networking/software/hpspmnt.exe
Install this as LOCAL administrator on Your workstation (network admin won't do) and also disable any antivirus programs during the install.
The SPM will only ask for a restart of the spooler while installing.

When installed, create a new HP Standard TCP/IP port in the driver, pointing directly to the printer over the network. Use the IP address. Apply this change and try to print a Windows Test Page. I suspect this will work perfectly.

One other thing if all else fails, try the included Microsoft drivers for the LJ 4 instead of HP's drivers, just to cross-check.

BRG
It WILL work!
Occasional Visitor
Svalduz
Message 6 of 16 (3,205 Views)

We have recently purchased a HP4100TN and use it in a pure WinNT 4.0 environement. I experience the same EIO [X] BAD TRANSMISSION error which appears at random.

I tried the following with no success:

1. cold reset
2. check cables
3. swap jetdirect card from EIO 2 to EIO 1

The Firmware is the newest available. The error appears at random when printing from Word 2k, the drivers on the print server are up-to-date, I print through a JetDirect port.

HP knowledge base has an entry for this error under: http://www.hp.com/cposupport/printers/support_doc/bpl11267.html#P94_5010

which would suggest a communication problem between printer and JetDirect card. After several (!) calls with HP support no one was yet able to address the problem.

Occasional Visitor
Kent_7
Message 7 of 16 (3,205 Views)

Peter - we have been experiencing the same problems. The firmware has been replaced, numerous drivers have been tested for the 4100TN and we found that by reverting back to the HP LaserJet 4000 Series PS driver the problem pretty much cleared up. There was one occurance within the past week where the font that was being printed seemed to make a difference but since then there have been no problems. Changing the font allowed the print job to complete successfully.

I would like to find out from HP what the "true" problem is so we don't have to continue to search for workarounds when using their drivers. Please post to this site again if you ever get a confirmed resolution to this problem.
Occasional Visitor
Steven Harris_2
Message 8 of 16 (3,205 Views)

I have seen the same error message on my HP Laserjet 4000. This printer is connected to a NT 4.0 Server by a jet direct card. I have narrowed the problem in my office to printing rich text (.rtf) documents out of Word. I used a file that one of the users were having trouble with and it was rich text and the font was Normal+ARIAL. I changed the font of the document to just Arial and the document printed fine. I am still investigating this issue, but thought I might share my findings.
Honored Contributor
TechPro
Message 9 of 16 (3,205 Views)

If you're using HP's Web JetAdmin, you can adjust a setting called "TCP Idle Timeout" which is probably set to 90 or 180 or 270.

This is the number of seconds before the JetDirect puts itself in "Idle" mode.

We found if we set the "TCP Idle Timeout" to 0 (turns off going to idle) a number of sporadic communication issues just seemed to disappear.

Perhaps this can help.
Occasional Visitor
Andres_6
Message 10 of 16 (3,205 Views)

We experienced also this problem. And the answer was a faulty 3 COM switch 1100 -we realized this because there it was another host having the same problem connected also to the same switch. This switch is now under "observation".
Occasional Contributor
James Wysynski
Message 11 of 16 (3,204 Views)

This doesn't help your problem, but it might help someone else, so I'm also posting it as a reply to this thread. It also shows you that HP's stance that this is a hardware issue is not necessarily the case. My printing problems occured using RedHat 7.3/Samba.

After a long day of frustration, I have solved my instance of the "40 EIO X bad transmission" error. Perhaps this will save someone else some hassles so I'm posting it here.

Problem:
"40 EIO X bad transmission" whenever printing to a LJ4050 through Samba under RedHat 7.3. The problem WAS NOT the network or the network card - I could print without errors if I connected to the printer directly via the JetDirect TCP/IP interface in Windows or if I issued the print command from the RedHat box. The printer configuration was done through the Printer Configuration tool (using printcap/LPD). Changing the driver (ie. from postscript to omni, etc) or changing any of the driver options didn't help.

Solution:
It appears that there is some problem with the LPD system and JetDirect. Switch to the CUPS print system (http://www.cups.org) and the errors mysteriously disappear. I configured the printer as a hplaserjet device through the web interface for CUPS. I then had to tweak my Samba configuration slightly to get it to work. Here's what I used:

----

[global]
# if you want to automatically load your printer list rather
# than setting them up individually then you'll need this
printcap name = /etc/printcap
load printers = yes

# It should not be necessary to spell out the print system type unless
# yours is non-standard. Currently supported print systems include:
# bsd, sysv, plp, lprng, aix, hpux, qnx
printing = cups

[printers]
comment = All Printers
path = /var/spool/samba/
browseable = no
public = no
writable = no
guest ok = yes
printable = yes
postscript = yes

# this enables you to see the print queue properly
use client driver = yes

----

I can now print from all computers in my network without any errors. The "use client driver" line solves an "access denied" problem when trying to view the print queue from Windows.

I hope this information is useful to someone. Note that this may help problems on other *nix systems besides Linux as well.

NOTE TO HP CUSTOMER SUPPORT:
Your support page on this issue really stinks, and so does your answers to users experiencing this error message. There are obviously more to solving this error than changing the EIO slot. Perhaps you should investigate some of the software/driver issues here?

* post edited by HP forum moderator to change a potentially offensive word
Occasional Advisor
Richard Falt
Message 12 of 16 (3,204 Views)

I am sorry, I don't have a solution to the problem but I do have some more info on the subject.

This happens to us when we print from both HP-UX and Win9X. We can print approximately 130 pages (on 1 printjob) and then we get the error. We increased the RAM and now we can print 170 pages before the error occurs. We have tried this with 2 HP 4050 printers and 2 JetDirect Cards.

In our case it is definitely memory related.

Richard Falt
Occasional Visitor
Theresa Koski
Message 13 of 16 (3,204 Views)

Although I don't have an answer for you, I actually have a question of my own. Currently I am having problems with a LJ 4050N. I'm getting the 40 eio 2 bad transmission error. I only get this error when I try to print from the AS400 which is a database type program. We have 5 other 4050N printers on the network and this is the only one with a problem. After doing a reboot of both the computer and the printer has seemed to help it for a few hours. When I get the error it will print out a ream of smiley faces, shamrocks and other symbols.
I was just wondering if any one had any idea of why this is happening and what I could try to fix it.
Occasional Visitor
Theresa Koski
Message 14 of 16 (3,204 Views)

Although I don't have an answer for you, I actually have a question of my own. Currently I am having problems with a LJ 4050N with windows 98. I'm getting the 40 eio 2 bad transmission error. I only get this error when I try to print from the AS400 which is a database type program. We have 5 other 4050N printers on the network and this is the only one with a problem. After doing a reboot of both the computer and the printer has seemed to help it for a few hours. When I get the error it will print out a ream of smiley faces, shamrocks and other symbols.
I was just wondering if any one had any idea of why this is happening and what I could try to fix it.
Occasional Visitor
JD van Rooyen
Message 15 of 16 (3,204 Views)

If you read all there is about 40 EIO 2... you will find the error across all platforms, printer types and with mosltly with the older internal jetdirects. We use J3110A and J3113A jetdirects in LJ 4050s. After a lengthy process of elimination a really queued up college of mine found the solution to our problem. Network analysis and a syslog captured from the print servers showed that the printing jobs were terminated by the print server so he figured that since pure ip printing prints directly and work; it must be a property on the server, most probably a timeout value. So he found the property Timeout to close job in the individual HP gateways for printers for NDPS. In the upgrade from v2.x to v3.00b HP thought it wise to change the property from 50 to 3 seconds. What is concerning is that the printer reports the error, shows the print job is cancelled, but still counts the pages. That means our users run the risk of paying for jobs that did not print.

HPâ s support on the issue is non existent and upgrading the firmware on the jetdirects and drivers on the printer did not solve anything. The firmware upgrade just reported the error correctly. The print configuration software (all types and versions except telnet) is pathetic and the timeout property on the printer and the print server is not connected or related at all.

I think HP should take responsibility for their software and hardware and should have published a solution. In the meantime, change that job timeout value on your print server and set the one on the printer ether to as long as possible or to 0 (no timeou
Occasional Visitor
Adam Swartz
Message 16 of 16 (3,204 Views)

If you have a custom PJL solution, the problem is likely from closing the socket input stream while there is lingering status information on it (written by the printer). If you read the input stream until no more information is on it and then close, the error will go away.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.