Re: upgrading from RP7420 to ?? (350 Views)
Super Advisor
John Jimenez
Message 1 of 12 (350 Views)
Accepted Solution

upgrading from RP7420 to ??

We have several RP7420's with four 1 GHz cpu's. I have one with an old flat file Database and can't utilize more the 8 gig of memory, and 8 gigs of memory are not close to being maxed out yet. But the CPU on this one is getting bottle necked, and we are thinking of adding more processors. But maintenance is going up on these guys. HP software is tied into how many processors we have so that will be going up too. I would like to also have a smaller server..... we are running out of space on the racks in the server room.
Resellers always want to sell something that's upgradeable, and then after a few years when you are ready to upgrade it seems like it's cheaper to by a new one, so expansion is not a big deal.
Any recommendations on what model of Integrity is one step higher then the RP7420? Blade Server BL870c and RX6600 go up to 1.6 ghz? Which of these is the cheaper way? What is the least amount of memory you can put in these?

Hustle Makes things happen
Trusted Contributor
Analyst
Message 2 of 12 (350 Views)

Re: upgrading from RP7420 to ??

Hi John,

Compare the specifications and check which will be suitable for the business improvement.

http://h71028.www7.hp.com/ERC/downloads/4AA1-7640ENW.pdf

http://h71028.www7.hp.com/ERC/downloads/4AA0-6528ENW.pdf

Thanks,
Analyst.
Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 3 of 12 (350 Views)

>I have one with an old flat file Database

Not that I want to prevent you from buying a new Integrity server but have you thought of trying to use better algorithms to handle your flat file? I.e. put the whole thing in memory? Using hashing and indexes?
Super Advisor
John Jimenez
Message 4 of 12 (350 Views)

Hi Dennis,
I am not a programmer. We have a really good one on site who programs with C ++ and other progams.We have source code and he tweaks out the programs that run on the Server 100 times better the the canned version.

The killer is that we purchased new apps that need data from here. So It needs to update and send data to an oracle Server and also get data from that same server. It FTP's Data to a different Windows Data warehouse server, and then there are thos SQL servers are always hitting via NFS (I hate NFS. I set up SAMBA, but can't get the D.B.A.'s to use it... that a whole other story).

Getting the info from this server and a daily basis was not good enough, they all seem to be hitting it at the same time. I wish I could send the info to one location and the let the other go there, but everyone wants the info first and they want it now.
Super Advisor
John Jimenez
Message 5 of 12 (350 Views)

Thanks Analyst,
That is a better link that I was looking at before. Anyone have any other recommendations on models I can look at?
With both having 8 gig of RAM and 4 CPU's, which one of these is cheaper?
Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 6 of 12 (350 Views)

>So It needs to update and send data to an oracle Server and also get data from that same server. It FTPs data ... always hitting via NFS

These sound like I/O and networking bottlenecks. Make sure you are addressing the right problem(s) when you decide on the configuration of your new server.
Super Advisor
John Jimenez
Message 7 of 12 (350 Views)

Dennis, I monitor using Glance and LUND Clear View Software. These processes used to only go at night, During these times, all 4 cpu's would be at 100%. There was differences doing increments, so every night a few servers do full. As our files get larger, these programs to and from multiple servers are ending later and later, and soon will still be running when people get here. To make matters worse, having data on a daily basis was not good enough. Differential updates are now running every few minutes. The CPU utilization on hours went from 30% to 80%. So now During Certain times of the months regular programs are running slower. It's only a matter of time when users doing data entry start complaining.

Super Advisor
John Jimenez
Message 8 of 12 (350 Views)

Thanks Analyst,
I read the links you put out for me. The rx6600 seemed like overkill. But that sheet mentioned the rx4640.

http://www.azurri.com/pdf/Integrity/entry_class/rx4640-8.pdf

It looks like it can only has 4 processors max, but 3 of 4 cpu options are much faster at 1.6 GHz and 1.5 GHz then the 1.0 GHz on my current RP7420.

Anyone have anyfeedback? Any disadvantagers?
Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 9 of 12 (350 Views)

>1.6 GHz and 1.5 GHz than the 1.0 GHz on my RP7420.

Note comparing GHz is not always a accurate way to compare processors, especially when one is RISC and the other is EPIC.
Honored Contributor
Wim Rombauts
Message 10 of 12 (350 Views)

Since you have the source code and a programmer, I guess you have the option to compile it to a native Itanium software. If your programm is CPU-bound, don't attempt migrating to Itanium with PA-RISC code. You will be disappointed.

To my experience, Itanium machines are twice as fast a PA-RISC machines. Maybe even faster if it is purely CPU-bound.

And about the choice between blades or standaone systems : If you plan to migrate all your rp7420 to Itanium within a year or two, a blade may be a good choice because you can fill it up.

If you buy a blade now to expand it further within 4 years, it will be investing in old technology, just the situation that you are facing now. So make your choice for what you think you need now.

I think that if you by an rx6600, it will certainly be fast enough. But maybe you can ask HP themselves to check that out for your specific application. Maybe, an rx3600 is already sufficient (only 4U instead of 7), but that server has a maximum of 2 processors. Or if space is an issue for you : an rx2660. That system is also a 2-CPU system and takes only 2U.
The price difference between rx6600 and rx2660 is significant, and you can set 3 rx2660 systems in the place of one rx6600, but then you need to be sure these 2 Itanium processors are going to give better performance than the 4 PA-RISC processors.
Exalted Contributor
Steven E. Protter
Message 11 of 12 (350 Views)

Shalom,

HP has very good support for porting applications from PA-RISC to Itanium rx class systems.

The best path here is to purchase or if possible get on load a rx class server and see about porting your application.

Once this is done you may find this system can replace your rp7420 systems, and even out perform it.

There really is no upgrade path for these beasties, the chasis may be replaceable to an rx74x server (documented above), but the problem remains the app.

Why are we pushing replacement? Because at month end sales of PA-RISC rp class servers end. Its end of the line time and your application needs to move or risk losing hardware support.

You already see the cost of maintenance on these servers is getting high. These costs will continue to climb and then you'll get a drop dead date and be in the land of no support.

Not a good place to be. Work with the developers and plan an exit path.

SEP
Steven E Protter
Owner of ISN Corporation
http://isnamerica.com
http://hpuxconsulting.com
Sponsor: http://hpux.ws
Twitter: http://twitter.com/hpuxlinux
Founder http://newdatacloud.com
Super Advisor
John Jimenez
Message 12 of 12 (350 Views)

Thank you for all of your input. I now have a clearer plan. The current olde app and data base is not certified and probably will never be on Itanium.
The old 3.1 Basis Pro5 Data base has also ended its life cycle as well, and another Org. is in planning on migrating it to BBj. If this works out for them we will follow suit.
If it does not work as planned. We will purchase a couple of more Processors I will plan to upgrade in two steps. First (The beginning of the year) I will upgrade the O.S. to 11.23 on the Current hardware.

While thats going on, we can begin to budget go Itanium. Around that time the Maint on the other RP7420's running Oracle RAC will be falling out too. And we can then begin to migrate those too.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.