Re: What is your experience with 3rd party support on HP servers/SAN? (735 Views)
Regular Advisor
Jan Shu
Message 1 of 8 (735 Views)
Accepted Solution

What is your experience with 3rd party support on HP servers/SAN?

Hi All,

My co-worker recommended a new 3rd party support vendor for our production HPUX servers and HP EVA SAN's to cut cost. Although I and several colleagues prefer HP support on critical HPUX Oracle/SAS servers and HP EVA SAN's (maybe because we are the hands-on people maintaining those servers and san's 24x7).

It is easy to see that 3rd party support vendor doesn't provide the same support items as HP support. They don't cover certain software support either. My co-worker seems not much care about these major differences; he kept saying the price is lower! It is only $30K lower for 1 year but they cut off many important support items. The 3rd party's price quote is kind of vague and confusing.

What is your suggestion? Have you ever heard about "Delta Support for HP Servers?" Can you please share your experience? Thank you.

Have a Happy Valentine's Day.

Jan
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Michael Steele_2
Message 2 of 8 (735 Views)

Re: What is your experience with 3rd party support on HP servers/SAN?

Hi

Be prepared to do much of the work yourself while the 3rd party CE stands around fidgeting in circles
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Michael Steele_2
Message 3 of 8 (735 Views)

Hi Again:

What is the consequence of not going to a 3rd party? Letting someone go?
Please use plain text.
Regular Advisor
Jan Shu
Message 4 of 8 (735 Views)

Hi Michael,
Thanks for the feedback. Does your company have HP Support on HPUX servers/SAN, or 3rd party support on HPUX servers/SAN, or mixed?

Regards,
Jan
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Michael Steele_2
Message 5 of 8 (735 Views)

One of my clients is AIG of NJ. Yes, that AIG. I was with them before and after their problems when they got bailed out by the gov. Post gov, they went 3rd party support and everyone hated it.

Support was vaild during week days and standard work hours. Part were purchased not from HP, who is the manufacturer, but from China.

So, factor this all in. How do you respond? You make sure all your failover systems and DR systems are ready to go and can take the company through a short term period, like a week, at a moment's notice.

Failover, and practice failovers now become more important.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Olivier Masse
Message 6 of 8 (735 Views)

I don't really know what I'm talking about since I never used one, but I can only advise you to be careful anyway.

You might be able to get away with Proliants but with EVAs and Integrity/9000 servers, your third party might not have quick access to a huge pool of specific parts.

Personally I wouldn't recommend 3rd party support for anything that is production unless you follow Michael's advice and can remain 100% independent with total hardware resiliency. What I like by using HP, is that THEY will ultimately be the ones to blame if something doesn't go well. With a third party, sure, you'll save your client or boss a lump of money, which will make you look good. But remember that bosses are bosses: The day you've been left with unsatisfactory service or response time from 3rd party, this will turn against you and everything will be your fault.

So make a business case. Underline the problems you've already noticed such as the confusing quote. Then recommend against it if you're not comfortable. If management thinks otherwise, let them take responsability for that call.

These are my two cents.

Olivier.
Please use plain text.
Regular Advisor
Jan Shu
Message 7 of 8 (735 Views)

Dear Oliver/Michael,

This is very educating. Thank you very much for sharing with me. The more I read on, the better and clearer picture I get.

Best Regards,
Jan
Please use plain text.
Regular Advisor
Jan Shu
Message 8 of 8 (735 Views)

thread is close.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation