Re: Web server with graphics processing setup? (117 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Leo_v2
Message 1 of 4 (117 Views)

Web server with graphics processing setup?

Hello,

we would like to buy a blade server to host a specific web application which will use our existing desktop application code base (which is Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) based), to render images and serve them to web clients (simplified explanation). Because of WPF and the nature of the application, this requires DirectX (preferably DX10) graphics cards.

While looking at the HP Blade solutions, I was unable to see how this could be realized, since there is no concrete mentioning of integrating graphics cards to blades. Is this the purpose of HP PCI Expansion Blade? If not, is this possible at all?

And what kind of setup would you suggest for this kind of usage? The number of clients would be around 100.

Thank you very much, your assistance will be very valuable to me.

Best regards
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Cederberg
Message 2 of 4 (117 Views)

Re: Web server with graphics processing setup?

Well it seems like the only sollution if you need to have a blade server with a better grapihcs card.. but there is a catch.. The PCI Expansion Blade is connected with a x4 PCI connector to the blade which will slow down the communication at least with newer graphics cards..
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Leo_v2
Message 3 of 4 (117 Views)

Thank you for your reply - I am surprised that there is no option to put more advanced graphics processing power to the blade, but I guess we'll have to accept what is available.

I am wondering if using a Blade Workstation for this purpose would be a better fit...

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Cederberg
Message 4 of 4 (117 Views)

well generely there is no interest in the graphics of a server just to display a desktop or a console.

No don't think that would make a diffrents in this case and i don't think there are such a thing in C-class..

I would use a DL machine like DL380 G5 or DL580
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation