Re: Update from 11v1 to 11v2: doubts (457 Views)
Occasional Advisor
esmadscc01p
Message 1 of 5 (469 Views)
Accepted Solution

Update from 11v1 to 11v2: doubts

Hello,

I have an old L2000 server working with HP.UX11.11 Due to 3rd party requirements, it must be upgraded to  11.23 to install the upgrade of this  3rd party SW.

First, I have read  a lot about  `upgrade-ux' detractors. They prefer a cold install In this issue. I have never made this  operation, but I undersand if I "update" the OS, all the configuration information ( LVM, users, installed sw, etc) remains. And If I make a cold install , I´ll loss all the all configuration, I´ll get a new and empty system. Isn´t it. Is that so?

What shoukd I do?

Regards

Please use plain text.
HP Pro
Hiren N Dave
Message 2 of 5 (468 Views)

Re: Update from 11v1 to 11v2: doubts

Yes, you will loose every data in cold install.

But in your case, I recommend doing cold install of the OS after taking necessary backup of all data & configuration files of that software. As your vendor is ready to upgrade it, ask him to fresh install the software and restore data & configurations from backup.

If you choose to update the OS using update-ux, you need to check many software dependancies and even after then, it is possible that update may not complete properly.

I am an HP Employee

Was this post useful? - You may click the KUDOS! star to say thank you.
Please use plain text.
Outstanding Contributor
Pete Randall
Message 3 of 5 (462 Views)

> Yes, you will loose every data in cold install.

Not necessarily true.  If your data exists in Volume Groups separate from vg00, those VGs can be exported then re-imported.

Pete
Please use plain text.
Acclaimed Contributor
James R. Ferguson
Message 4 of 5 (457 Views)

esmadscc01p wrote:

First, I have read  a lot about  `upgrade-ux' detractors. They prefer a cold install In this issue. I have never made this  operation, but I undersand if I "update" the OS, all the configuration information ( LVM, users, installed sw, etc) remains. And If I make a cold install , I´ll loss all the all configuration, I´ll get a new and empty system. Isn´t it. Is that so?

What shoukd I do?

Hi:

A cold-install is my choice since it gives (1) the most assurance of success [in this case]; and (2) the cleanest end-result without the presence of outdated material left behind.

An 'update' is ideal (necessary) when transitioning from different operating system "updates" as with 11.31, in particular.

As noted, a cold-install, begins by destroying vg00 (or whatever disk you choose to make the new vg00).  Disks (and their volume groups) that you do *not* choose as vg00 targets are *not* affected.  Begin by doing a 'vgexport -p -s -m' on your non-vg00 volume groups.  This creates mapfiles with the VGID signature.  Copy these to a secure place.  Following the cold-installation you simply use these mapfiles to 'vgimport' your non-vg00 volume groups.  From that standpoint, no data is lost.

As for anything on your current (old) vg00, collect copies of key configuration files (like '/etc/hosts' for example).  Copy these files to a safe place for use after installation.  You could even put these on one of the volume groups that you will 'vgimport' later.

Do not plan to capriciously copy the saved files over newly installed ones.  Rather, use the saved copies to 'diff' against the new, "virgin" ones and apply the localized data you need.

Read the 11.23 installation instructions before hand.  Plan and collect everything you need to have ready.  Take an Ignite image of your 11.11 should you need to restore it.  This image is also useful if you later find that you missed making a copy of a configuration file that you would like to review, since you can use 'tar' to extract it.

Install 11.23 from the most recent DVD set you have and follow the installation with the latest Quality Pack patch bundle.   Better yet, use SWA (the Software Assistant Tool) to fetch not only the Quality Packs but any superseding patches.

Careful planning will virtually guarantee success.

Regards!

...JRF... 

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Kris_Knigga
Message 5 of 5 (454 Views)

I've done about a dozen in-place 11.11 to 11.23 upgrades.  The only upgrade that ever blew up on me was due to failing hardware, not due to the process being bad.  Here are some notes from my experience:

Find the book or PDF called "HP-UX 11i v2 Installation and Update Guide".  The printed book in the past has come with the physical media kit, or you can search for the PDF.  I found this somewhat old version pretty quickly.  Read it.  It is an excellent resource for both planning and executing the upgrade, either cold or in-place.

Make sure your firmware is up-to-date.

Make sure you have enough space in your vg00 volumes to contain what you already have, plus the additional from the upgrade.  The aforementioned book has a table of recommended minimum volume sizes.  Most of the upgrades I've done have required larger internal hard drives and / or /stand volumes to support the upgrade.  This may seem like a pain, but it's a blessing in disguise.  Buy new hard drives, take an Ignite of your original hard drives, replace your orginals with the new drives, and then restore the Ignite with resized volumes.  This makes backing out of a failed upgrade brainless: just replace the new disks with the old, untouched ones and you're back up and running.

If at all possible save yourself a lot of time by creating a hard drive based upgrade depot containing all of the upgrade stuff from the DVD(s) plus the most recent patch bundle.  First, upgrading from hard drive is way faster than upgrading from the DVD.  Second, if you swcopy the DVDs to hard drive and then swcopy the latest patch bundle into the same depot when you do the upgrade you'll automatically at the same time get the patches applied.

In conclusion, the upgrade process isn't hard or even that tricky.  The hard part is the planning.  And really that's not all that hard, just time consuming.  But once you've got all of your proverbial ducks in a row, the actual in-place upgrade is pretty easy and isn't nearly as scary as some people on this forum seem to think it is.

Kris Knigga
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation