Re: Total power of my servers (watt) (788 Views)
Super Advisor
rustam_2
Message 1 of 13 (788 Views)
Accepted Solution

Total power of my servers (watt)

Hi all,
I need your advice. I have SAN and several servers such as: two rx6600, one EVA 4400 and 4 DL360 G5. Each of them has 2 power supplies. I read documentation for rx, dl and eva. There are typical and max power's value. I'd like to determine how many watts they are use. Because my UPS arent powerful and after determine i want to suggest my chief to buy new UPS for fail-safety, or won't.

are there any command or special ways to determine?

regards and thanks,
Rustam.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Johnson Punniyalingam
Message 2 of 13 (788 Views)

Re: Total power of my servers (watt)

Yes "ps" command can give you

Check below thread.

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1380562
Problems are common to all, but attitude makes the difference
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Horia Chirculescu
Message 3 of 13 (788 Views)

Hello,

If your curren UPS is a "smart" one, then you should be able tp find out from his user interface (most of them have an http interface...) how much current draw your servers/SAN/EVA from that UPS.

Compare it with the nominal/maximal values of your UPS and decide if this UPS is good for the job or not.

Horia.
Best regards from Romania,
Horia.
Please use plain text.
Super Advisor
rustam_2
Message 4 of 13 (788 Views)

Hello Johnson and Horia,
Yesterday we didnt have electricity for ~5 minutes. UPS shut down, naturally servers, switches, and EVA shut down also. I didnt start up, coz first want to solve problem with UPS and power consumption in our data-center. Ok, as i read in other thread it is possible check through the MP>CM>PS but right now before startup all hardware, want to discuss with my chief.
So,
1.rx6600 consumes min 998watt and max 1633watt. Average = 1315.5, for 2 servers will be 2631watt=2,63 KW.
2. I dont know DL360 G5's power consume but guess 1000 watt. For server 4000Watt=4KW
3. I dont know EVA 4400(disk arrays, dual managment and SAN switch)'s power consume, guess probably 3-4 KW

Total will be average - 10-11 KW. We have just 2 UPS - http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=SURTD5000RMXLI Moreover, each hardware has 2 power supply for redundancy. Is it means they consume\use twice more or ..?

regards and thanks,
Rustam
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Horia Chirculescu
Message 5 of 13 (788 Views)

Do you have optional battery packs?

http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=SURT192RMXLBP

Also, a SNMP card would be great - you can find out a lot of stuff from there (temperature, voltage/amperage, estimated time...) and also would give you the possibility to shutdown the servers before your battery will be dead.

Horia.
Horia.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Horia Chirculescu
Message 6 of 13 (788 Views)

Please use plain text.
Super Advisor
rustam_2
Message 7 of 13 (788 Views)

>>Do you have optional battery packs?
no, we dont have this pack.

>>SNMP card:
We have this card but i dont have cable to connect. We have cable for connect through the com-port. But it doesnt work yet.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Rita C Workman
Message 8 of 13 (788 Views)

Dual power supplies does not affect the watt value or utilization. It is a redundancy feature, whereby, if one source goes down, the other picks up. Your hardware power utilization is still the same.

You can gather all the power info generally from the vendor's site regarding what power is required for each device.
One thing to remember is that all devices spike when they power up. After that, the device generally settles down on it's power demand to about half of what the power-up need is. BUT...always use the power-up (highest possible need) when configuring or calculating watt requirements.

The first thing you need to determine on scaling an UPS is how long you expect it to run and support devices. Figure out over last 1-5 years how much power disruption you've had; and how long they were. In other words, get what you likely will need. [Remember though - nobody has a crystal ball. It's strictly best guess based on history.]

Determine what hardware MUST be on UPS and build your watt chart for this. Remember to include things like - the admin's 1 workstation, in event of outage to be able to control things should power be down too long. You want to be able to control bringing things down if you have to. Cover for HPUX/Windows/Network

Account for every piece of absolute need hardware (HPUX/Windows/Network....??).

Once you have this info, then discuss your findings with the UPS vendor. They can best help scale what you need. But do your research so you don't get oversold!

....I don't know your data center, but while you're getting the power info you might want to add to your document the weight of "everything". Cause an UPS is battery loaded....and we are talking significant pounds on floor. Make sure your floor/structure can take the load! Make sure you can get it in the building!

One other option, smaller/shorter time on UPS with a generator behind it for longer term outages. Might be worth presenting for both options & let mgmt decide.

Kindest regards,
Rita
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
rick jones
Message 9 of 13 (788 Views)

Well... multiple power supplies can affect the total server power draw. A given power supply will have load vs efficiency curve associated with it - they tend to be more efficient as you get closer to their maximum rated load and can become quite inefficient down towards zero load. How much will depend on the power supply's design.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Horia Chirculescu
Message 10 of 13 (788 Views)

>We have this card but i dont have cable to connect.

You know, this require a simple straight ethernet cable (UTP). This is a pretty common cable in IT industry.

Horia.

Horia.
Please use plain text.
Super Advisor
rustam_2
Message 11 of 13 (785 Views)

Well, thanks for advices.
i discussed with my chief and he is agree to buy new UPS. But for now, i dont know what kind of UPS buy, i mean how many watt's it must be. I havent turned on my servers yet, coz afraid they will turn off again and it could crash OS or applications which run there. I read documentation for each server but still dont know surely - how many their are consume?

thanks and regards,
Rustam
Please use plain text.
Super Advisor
rustam_2
Message 12 of 13 (785 Views)

i sum power dissipation:
- for DL360 G5 server from documentation(HP Bulletin) and it is 650 watts * 4 servers = 2.6 kw
-for rx6600 typical power dissipation is 998 watts and max is 1.7 kw
- i didnt how to calculate for EVA4400 - dual controller, disk array(10 hdd) and etc
- switch and hub
I cant check through the UPS, coz it's impossible to connect EVA with UPS through com-port. Any idea?
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Horia Chirculescu
Message 13 of 13 (785 Views)

>I havent turned on my servers yet, coz afraid they will turn off again and it could crash OS or applications which run there.

If you do not have problems with power utility you can switch on the UPX/servers without fear that the UPSes would be overloaded. The UPSese does not connect the inverter if the power utility is in normal parameters.

About applications: You could simply not start those in order to get some information about who much power do you need for your system.

>I cant check through the UPS, coz it's impossible to connect EVA with UPS through com-port

What do you mean? The UPS has an ethernet port which you must connect on your LAN's switch. From your LAN, go to one stations where you have an internet browser, and open the address of your SNMP card.

Horia.

Horia.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation