Superdome versus fully configured rx 8640 (587 Views)
Advisor
Henry Manda
Message 1 of 7 (587 Views)

Superdome versus fully configured rx 8640

Hi,

I'm planning for a new data center.I need ideas so that i make a decision.Currently im running the production site with 2 rx8640 for database (with cluster)and 5blade BLc860 servers for web and application.The servers are okay, but performance is still an issue.

I need help to come up with the server specs for a new site.I have a number of bill of materials from different HP partners.Im getting confused as I try interpret the contents. What should I look at?what the most crucial server specs should I look at, do I go for an SD or Rx,database size is 870GB and it might grow upto 3TB by end of next year as we are opening additional 156branches. please help!!
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Message 2 of 7 (587 Views)

Re: Superdome versus fully configured rx 8640

hi,

both ot the servers are CellBoard based, so i think the biggest advantage of the Superdome is that is more scalable, and it is possible to upgarde it.

check this picture at the attachment of this message, there is a comparation of RX8640 and Superdome performance.

In your case i would contact HP to get the latest data and product information.

in my opinion, the RX 8640 is very good server, because he don't need so much space as a superdome, but as i mentioned before the advantage of superdome is the scalability.

mikap

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Message 3 of 7 (587 Views)

hi,

sorry i forgot attach the picture.

the collum with the number is OLTP performance [tpm-c]

more at this web page :

http://www.tpc.org/tpcc/detail.asp

http://www.tpc.org/tpcc/results/tpcc_perf_results.asp

here is the superdome but 64 CPU / 128 cores

mikap
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Henry Manda
Message 4 of 7 (587 Views)

Hi,
To me space is not an issue at all. What I need is super performance.Im attaching the two options we have for you to help me scrunize. please use a different font color for what you added or removed.
What about EVA, in terms of performance and disk I/O, do i go for 4400, or 8400??
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Kapil Jha
Message 5 of 7 (587 Views)

I suppose as you going to increase your DB 3 fold its better to plan better now, and you should go for the best one.

http://h20341.www2.hp.com/integrity/w1/en/high-end/integrity-high-end-servers.html

As far as storage goes its definitely EVA8400.

The excel sheet you have provided include every single part, i suppose when you would order the server you would get most of it.

What about the DR thing.

BR,
Kapil+
I am in this small bowl, I wane see the real world......
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Basheer_2
Message 6 of 7 (587 Views)

Henry,

if you need a super performance, go for
1) Superdome (scalable cells)
2) XP Arrays.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Henry Manda
Message 7 of 7 (587 Views)

Prefered Super Dome.and EVA 8400 storage.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation