Re: Storage sizing for streaming load (991 Views)
Respected Contributor
Prokopets
Message 1 of 3 (991 Views)

Storage sizing for streaming load

Hi!
I'm trying to pick a model of storage for customer but not sure if i'm right with my choice. The task is to hold big amount of files (15-20Tb, maybe more, 1-2Gb each file size) that are going to be downloaded by 1-2k users (100-200-300 users at one time). I've found test of Sun/Oracle's USS7000 storage and it looked good (i think because of FileZilla read cache), but i want to find something from HP.
I had experience with EVAs and it looks like that streaming load is not for this storage - it's really slooow on this type of load (well... predictable for OLTP storage :) ).
Now i'm trying to choose between P2000 and P4000, but the problem is that i have no performance tests of P4000. Tests of P2000G3 in Product Bulletin imho are not quite correct, but it's better then nothing. Does anybody have a experience with P4000 with this type of load or maybe anybody will recommend me another model?

regards,
Philipp.
HP Pro
Sudhakar Subramaniam
Message 2 of 3 (991 Views)

Re: Storage sizing for streaming load

You can find complete ionformation about p4000 in the below link.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual〈=en&cc=us&docIndexId=64179&taskId=101&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=3936136#3
Frequent Advisor
O.G
Message 3 of 3 (991 Views)

Re: Storage sizing for streaming load

Hi P. Prokopets

P4000 are very reliable products, but they are positioned one step below EVAs.

I think you are looking for high IO capable solution. I would have a look to the recently acquired 3par storage devices.

http://www.3par.com/products/inserv_storage_server/inserv_models.html

The T400 is highly scalable and offers the lowest IOPS/$ in the market, while stays in the very high-end enterprise environment.

I must say it is not a cheap product, if you want performance, reliability and resilience then move forward, but if you are thinking in saving a few bucks, then and EVA will do the job.

Regards,
OG
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.