SAP performance (537 Views)
Occasional Visitor
rx8640 + SAP
Message 1 of 13 (537 Views)

SAP performance

What is the SAPs figure a HP system rx8640 with 20 core 9120 montvale 1.42 GHz, 12 MB L3 Cache can deliver. This is very urgent for me as I am suppose to finalize the hardware.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Bill Hassell
Message 2 of 13 (537 Views)

Re: SAP performance

> SAPs figure...

What figure? The figures published by SAP, by HP or an independent organization such as TPC? And SAP typically depends on a completely separate product such as Oracle which will dramatically affect overall performance depending on how it is configured.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
rx8640 + SAP
Message 3 of 13 (537 Views)

OK..I am going to implement SAP 6.0 with Oracle DB. I have calculated and my requirement is 25000 SAPs for DB. One vendor has proposed one rx8640 with 20 cores. The CPU is 1.42 GHz with 12 MB L3 cache. I would like to know wheather this system will deliver 25000 SAPs or should I go for a higher configuration.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Hein van den Heuvel
Message 4 of 13 (537 Views)

Well, do you trust your vendor to have done their homework?
Why not ask them to explain how they came to the proposal?

Will the system be used for SAP only, Databased only, or a mix?

SAPS are based on 2-tier SD benchmarks published under:

http://www.sap.com/solutions/benchmark/sd2tier.epx?num=50

HP has not recently published an immediately applicable number, but you'll see well over 5000 SAP for 4 cores in the more recent tests, albeit for 1.6 Mhz processors.
My gut-feel reaction is that 20 cores is right around 25,000 saps, but to figure that out for real is serious work, not something to poke at in a reply here.

Some folks try to make a living getting and using that data!

Hein van den Heuvel
HvdH Performance Consulting
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Hein van den Heuvel
Message 5 of 13 (537 Views)

>> 25000 SAPs for DB.

I should have read more carefully.
You did mention it will be a DB server.

The SAPS measures for those have a much larger margin of errors. And the proof points are fewer still and older still.
http://www.sap.com/solutions/benchmark/sd3tier.epx

Are we taling about a DB to support 25,000 saps of work, or able to deliver the equivalent to 25,000 saps?
The first would require a only a modest system and your should be more than safe already.

The second would suggest a really seriously sized config with millions of dollars investment involved, which you really don't want to base on the remarks in a well meaning reply here.

fwiw,
Hein.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
rx8640 + SAP
Message 6 of 13 (537 Views)

A HP blade can deliver 1460 SAPs/core. so this rating will reduce when the no of core will increase in a single box, and ofcource 1.42 GHz will give lower than that. so how can I get the extact rating. Can you help me out with the mail id or contact details of HP-SAP competancy center so that I can contact them
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Hein van den Heuvel
Message 7 of 13 (537 Views)

While total performance reduction with the increase if CPUs is a valid concern, typically SAP scales relatively well and I wouldn't worry too much about it. Specially not when using saps as a measure to size/scale a DB server.

Google: +site:hp.com +sap +competency

http://h20341.www2.hp.com/enterprise/cache/346851-0-0-0-121.html

Hein.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Mel Burslan
Message 8 of 13 (537 Views)

> Can you help me out with the mail id or contact details of HP-SAP competancy center so that I can contact them

If you are in the process of buying such an hefty configuration, you must have been working with an HP pre-sales team already. If not, you will be assigned one when you contact. It is best to contact the technical representative from HP pre-sales and have him/her to route your information request to the right people. What you may see as the HPUX-SAP competency team as advertised on google or elsewhere, might be people who field the initial questions. Obviously you have done some homework previously and need someone with deeper understanding. And those people's names or email addresses are not advertised publicly. You get to know them after you have been assigned to them by your HP sales team.

HTH
Hein van den Heuvel
Message 9 of 13 (537 Views)

Mel, I agree with the general sentiment, but the HP SAP compentency/solution team are the folks to engage. I worked for/with them a few years back. They are the holders of the knowledge. They may refer back to a skilled local representative, or take on the mission.

That wasn't a random google string... it was directed at site:hp.com.
I would have preferred to give a direct link but silly HP opts to have meaningless and temporary web page addresses combined with a lousy search engine :-(.

Cheers,
Hein.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Mel Burslan
Message 10 of 13 (537 Views)

Hein,

I did not mean to undervalue your link or underestimate the power of competency centers. But, my last 5 years and change worth of experience with HP, is making me say that, unless you get the attention of the right people by dangling obscene amounts of money in front of them, let this be buying a few new beefy servers or threatening them with canceling a multi-million dollar service agreement, you do not get any cooperation from anyone who really matters. But once, say the sales team, is engaged, all the barricades come tumbling down, paving the road to the most experienced people HP has. And they are really the big kahuna, not the people fresh off the street.

That is why I suggested to engage the sales team. He might get to these people at the end but in his hurried state of mind, I don't think he appreciates being bounced around like a hot potato in the HP's regular customer grind :)
Michael Steele_2
Message 11 of 13 (536 Views)

Your rx8640 is a high end server. The only thing bigger is a superdome.

You have not mentioned anything about application servers, etc.

Here is a rx4640 bench marked to 44,000 SAPS.

The SAP SD standard R/3 Enterprise 4.70 application benchmark performed on
November 13, 2003 by HP in Houston, TX, USA was certified on December 1, 2003 with the
following data:
Number of benchmark users & comp.: 7,800 SD (Sales & Distribution)
Average dialog response time: 1.22 seconds
Throughput:
Fully Processed Order Line items / hour: 834,330
Dialog steps / hour: 2,503,000
SAPS: 41,720
Average DB request time (dia/upd): 0.140 sec / 0.186 sec
CPU utilization of database server: 96%
CPU utilization of application servers: 62% (dia: 77%, upd: 22%, msg/enq: 8%)
Operating System all servers: Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition
RDBMS database server: SQL Server 2000
R/3 Release: 4.70
Total disk space: 520 GB
Configuration:
Database server: HP rx4640, 4-way SMP, Intel Itanium 2, 1.5 GHz,
32 KB L1 cache, 256 KB L2 cache, 6 MB L3 cache,
8 GB main memory
16 Application servers:
12 Dialog servers: HP ProLiant Model DL760 G2, 8-way SMP, Intel Xeon MP,
2.0 GHz, 20 KB L1 cache, 512 KB L2 cache, 2 MB L3 cache,
4 GB main memory
3 Update servers: HP ProLiant Model DL740, 8-way SMP, Intel Xeon MP, 2.8 GHz,
20 KB L1 cache, 512 KB L2 cache, 2 MB L3 cache,
4 GB main memory
1 Message/Enq. server: HP ProLiant Model DL580 G2, 4-way SMP, Intel Xeon MP,
1.9 GHz, 20 KB L1 cache, 512 KB L2 cache, 1 MB L3 cache,
4 GB main memory

Here are 50 or so servers tested between 12,000 SAPS and over 800,000.

http://www.xware.net/cgi-bin/pre_zerti.pl?pre_sd4xcs
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Michael Steele_2
Message 12 of 13 (536 Views)

Hi Again:

Based upon all the missing information in your first question, I have to assume virtual machines are going to be used to accomodated the application / portal servers missing.

Since 25,000 SAP isn't much, I don't see this as a problem. However, I would spend a lot time looking at the network, the number of CPU's and RAM. SAP needs a ton of RAM for the SGA.
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
rx8640 + SAP
Message 13 of 13 (536 Views)

Just a small thing I missed..the os would be Novell SUSE 10.0...Database would be Oracle and SAP version is 6.0..pls note the details break up..

ECC DB : 7008
BW DB : 5070
PPDS DB : 3430
MDM DB : 5600.....

I will use a single server (hardware box)use the partition technology to accomodate the complete workload. I am interested for Itanium 9120N (1.42 GHz & 12MB L3 Cache) CPU. I am looking for rx8640 box

So pls suggest how many CPU will be required.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation