Re: RAID per VM? (121 Views)
Occasional Contributor
BF79
Message 1 of 4 (169 Views)

RAID per VM?

Hi,

I know one large RAID is not a great idea (most of the time), but I am concerned I am going too far the other way.

For example I will have 3 SQL servers and 5 terminal servers in a dual host VMWare environment connected to MSA 2040 via SAS 6GB/s.

Each SQL would have

RAID1 (OS)

RAID10 (DATA)

RAID1 (LOGS)

Each TS would have

RAID1

That alone is 14 RAID sets.

Is there a RAID set limit per controller? (Couldn't find one)

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Acclaimed Contributor
Torsten.
Message 2 of 4 (146 Views)

Re: RAID per VM?

With the current systems you will create vdisks across several physical disks (e.g. a RAID10), then volumes within this vdisk. If you want different RAID types, you need different vdisks.
Maybe a big RAID10 is your solution with several volumes (LUNs) for the servers.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

There are only 10 types of people in the world -
those who understand binary, and those who don't.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! star in the left column!   
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
BF79
Message 3 of 4 (135 Views)

[ Edited ]

Torsten. wrote:
With the current systems you will create vdisks across several physical disks (e.g. a RAID10), then volumes within this vdisk. If you want different RAID types, you need different vdisks.
Maybe a big RAID10 is your solution with several volumes (LUNs) for the servers.

Thanks for replying.

Isn't contention a possibility with all IOPS on a single RAID? I know storage technology has gotten more efficient, but I thought if one SQL on the RAID10 was chewing up lots of IOPS i would feel it on my other servers? Separate RAID ensures I get exactly the performance I want for each VM without interuption from other VMs. Don't get me wrong, for some VMs where performance is not as critical i am using a One Big RAId 10 (OBR10).

Storage isnt my expertise by any means, so if I am missing something please let me know!

Thanks,

-B

Please use plain text.
Acclaimed Contributor
Torsten.
Message 4 of 4 (121 Views)

I would configure at least 2 vdisks, because a controller is the owner of a vdisk, with 2 vdisks you utilize both controllers.

I don't know for sure if it makes a difference if you use more vdisks, but I doubt, especially for a RAID10. If you need high performance, I would compare the MSA with the storeserv (3PAR) product line.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

There are only 10 types of people in the world -
those who understand binary, and those who don't.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! star in the left column!   
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation