Re: Oracle DB Backups with Netbackup 6.0 and EVA 3000 (292 Views)
Advisor
michael kaishar
Message 1 of 7 (292 Views)

Oracle DB Backups with Netbackup 6.0 and EVA 3000

What is the best possible way to back up oracle residing on an EVA 3000 using Netbackup 6.0 MP4?

We want to implement a Veritas Solution using Netbackup 6.0 MP4 with EVA 3000, and Advance Client. There are numerous documents saying that the EVA will not work with Advance Client and there are some that say the EVA will work with Advance Client.

Will using RMAN be a hindering process. I want to backup our oracle DB using netbackup and RMAN and i would like to be able to restore this DB onto various other test databases. The idea is to take our production database backups and restore them wherever we like for testing purposes.

Thanks
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Benito Salinas_1
Message 2 of 7 (292 Views)

Re: Oracle DB Backups with Netbackup 6.0 and EVA 3000

Hello Michael,

Not knowing how Netbackup works (we use EMC Networker), here is what we do with a production oracle instance an a Eva5000.

At midnight, shutdown oracle, then, using SSSU, create a clone on the san (to a FATA disk group), startup Oracle, present the Clone_db to the server and we are done. Then, any test instance that needs a refresh of production, we simply run a clone script to copy db files from the clone_db to the test instance.
As far as backup to tape, it can be done anytime, until the entire process runs again (23 hours later).

Also,

I am not too familiar with RMAN but I know there is a way to;

Run Rman to a seperate San device, backup to tape, use rman to refresh test instances, then, 23 hours later, delete rman backup files, and then run the process again.

Hope this helps.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
michael kaishar
Message 3 of 7 (292 Views)

Hello Benito and Thank You very much for responding. Is your SSSU script intensive? Because we were thinking about that and the way it would work for us is to have a very detailed SSSU script to figure out the LUNS that we would need to mount the snaps onto. I understand that SSSU is a lot faster than business copy which is the gui portion. Would you have an idea if RMAN can be triggered to start up a backup with a trigger file rather than a timed backup? Again is it possible for you to send me your SSSU script so I can take a look on how you have it set up. Thanks Again for your help.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Benito Salinas_1
Message 4 of 7 (292 Views)

Michael,

"Would you have an idea if RMAN can be triggered to start up a backup with a trigger file rather than a timed backup?"

On one of production oracle instances, we do start RMAN> backup database plus archivelogs;
via a scheduled file. Does/Can RMAN kick off a file to start other scripts?, that I would not know.

SSSU.
I have attached 3 files. They go, in sequence.
1)delete_db_clone
2)daily_db_backup, which part of it is to submit the third file;
3)db_clone

I have attached a fourth file to show you our scheduling and parameters.

Benito
Please use plain text.
Advisor
michael kaishar
Message 5 of 7 (292 Views)

Thanks for your help. Was the file attached just one text file?

Thanks
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Benito Salinas_1
Message 6 of 7 (292 Views)

Michael,
Email me so that I can send you the others.

Benito

benitos@southtexascollege.edu
Please use plain text.
Advisor
michael kaishar
Message 7 of 7 (292 Views)

Hi I sent you an email from mike@kaishar.com so you can send me those files.

Thanks

Mike Kaishar
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation