Re: Oracle 10G RAC - backup and restore (1053 Views)
Occasional Contributor
Yossi Shteinagrt
Message 1 of 4 (1,053 Views)

Oracle 10G RAC - backup and restore

Hi,

We have an Oracle database.
The current, non compressed backup file is 600GB (compressed will reach ~60GB for a full backup).
The oracle database files are hosted on a RAID10 (14 drives) MSA2300G2-FC storage.

We need a backup disk based (preferably iSCSI) that will be able to restore 1TB of data (in non compressed version backup) in 4 hours.

I was thinking of the D2D2500i.
Will it be able to support 72MB/sec sequential throughput?

BR,
-YS

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Message 2 of 4 (1,053 Views)

Re: Oracle 10G RAC - backup and restore

hi,

in this case i would recomend you to call to HP , and ask the if its possible to borrow some demo HW, them you could test it and you will know if the transfer speed is possible, in your solution.

mikap
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Dave Dewar
Message 3 of 4 (1,053 Views)

Yossi,

As the previous person suggested some demo hardware might be helpful to you.

A couple of things to bear in mind for performance on D2D:
1. Performance scales with the number of parallel backup jobs/streams. A 250X will not hit maximum performance with single stream to 1 virtual tape drive or NAS share - you would need about 4 parallel backup streams to acheive max performance. This is true for both writes and reads.
2. Do you intend to backup the compressed or uncompressed version? The compressed version will not give a good dedupe ratio and will likely perform a bit slower MB for MB although since it is 10 times smaller it will obviously finish much quicker.
3. Is your database on a single mount point? If not, then watch out for multiplexing across mount points when you generate the backup files with something like RMAN, this has the effect of mixing up the data stream compared to the last backup and dedupe ratio can suffer.RMAN can be configured to not do this and be consistent in building up a backup file across multiple mount points.

There are some best practices at the following link that should give you some pointers to optimise setup for best performance.

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01805012/c01805012.pdf
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Alzhy
Message 4 of 4 (1,053 Views)

Or BUILD yourself one with OpenFIler Linux as your NAS/iSCSI head.

How id it go though? Did you eventually get a D2D box?

I have a client that has one (a 4 drive version)... not kool with performance and the licenses.

Have since replaced with an OpenFiler Solution.

Hakuna Matata.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation