Re: Changing discs on HP Integrity rx2620 (HP-UX) (305 Views)
Occasional Visitor
LsRo
Message 1 of 5 (305 Views)

Changing discs on HP Integrity rx2620 (HP-UX)

Hi. I'm planning changing the discs on my HP Integrity rx2620 servers. Current configuration is 2x 36GB discs on Raid 1+0. My OS is HP-UX 11i v2. I have a PCI-X SmartArray 6402 RAID Controller. I'm changing my 36GB discs for 72GB discs and i need to keep all my 36GB data on my new discs. I think that maybe changing one disc first and sync the data with the raid configuration would do it. I need some help on the steps to correctly doing this.

Thanks in advance.
Please use plain text.
Acclaimed Contributor
Torsten.
Message 2 of 5 (305 Views)

Re: Changing discs on HP Integrity rx2620 (HP-UX)

I never did this with a hp-ux server.

Collect some information first!

# saconfig /dev/ciss_
# sautil /dev/ciss_

But in theory I think you need to replace 1 disk, wait for the rebuild, swap the other disk, expand the array, use vgmodify to adjust the LVM structure ... a some complex task.

Alternatively you can backup the system with ignite (do this anyway!), shutdown, swap both disk, create a new array, restore the backup.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

There are only 10 types of people in the world -
those who understand binary, and those who don't.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! star in the left column!   
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
LsRo
Message 3 of 5 (305 Views)

Attached the sautil command.

FYI. I did the disc swamp successfully about a month ago. The raid was all right. The only problem that i got was that in the "saconfig /dev/ciss4" command the Physical Drive size was 72 GB (the discs had the correct size) but on the logical drive size it had 34727MB which was the old size of the 36GB discs. I changed this size with the "saconfig /dev/ciss4..." right now i don't remember the rest of the command but i think it was a "-D 0" to specify the drive number and right now i don't recall the size indicator command. The server was running great until a few days later i had to reboot the server and it was unable to boot. No error messages, just kept rebooting itself. So i swamped back to the old discs and it booted.

Hope this helps.

P/S Also as now you know the 72GB discs have my data. If there is a way to fix the booting problem without having to redo the whole steps it would be great. Also i noticed that HP send me 4 discs(i have 2 rx2620 servers), two of the discs are Maxtor and the other two are Seagate. I installed one Maxtor and one Seagate on each server. I don't know if different discs with different firmwares on the same server on raid would cause this but its something i noticed.

Thanks
Please use plain text.
Acclaimed Contributor
Torsten.
Message 4 of 5 (305 Views)

You took the logs with the 36GB disks installed. A log with the larger disks would be interesting.

BTW, make sure you are using a current RAID driver version!

The "-D" switch is related to spare disks.

An example to extend the logical drive:

# saconfig /dev/ciss3 -E 1 -c 20
Logical drive 1 extended from 10.0 GB to 20 GB in capacity

After extending the RAID you IMHO must adjust LVM using vgmodify (in LVM maintenance mode)!

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

There are only 10 types of people in the world -
those who understand binary, and those who don't.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! star in the left column!   
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
LsRo
Message 5 of 5 (305 Views)

Is there a way to erase all the data on the 72GB discs so i can start the process again???
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation