B9180 Printer Problems - PaperJam (2741 Views)
Occasional Advisor
DavidVisionworks
Message 1 of 51 (2,741 Views)

B9180 Printer Problems - PaperJam

Hi,

We have a Photosmart Pro B9180 printer and have encountered a problem that when we print a page the printer always displays a fault that there has been a paper jam.

We have followed all the relevant instructions on the manual and from the support section of the internet page.

We also updated our software and the firmware of the printer up the 27A currently released for it.

If anyone has any ideas or ways that we can fix it, it would be a great help.

Cheers
David
Occasional Visitor
digitaldan40
Message 2 of 51 (2,741 Views)

Re: B9180 Printer Problems - PaperJam

Hi David,

Gee, this is really strange! I also have a B9180 and tried to print a couple proofs and got the same "Paper Jam" error.

First thing that I did was check to see if there was something physically jamming the paper path. It was clear.
Then I checked this forum and found"http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/fastFaqLiteDocument?lc=en&dlc=lv&cc=lv&docname=c00636281" procedure to clear a paper jam.

I wiped off the rollers with distilled water yet still got the same error.

I completely power cycled the printer and still got the same error.

But as you said, the really weird thing is that it WILL print the test page, but when I try to print the sample page, I get the paper jam error. But when I opened the lid, I could see that the paper stalls in the paper path and if I press the "OK" button, it will just feed the paper on through. It seems to me that the software update has changed something.

I even went so far as to run the "Align Printheads" procedure which printed several calibration sheets without any problem. But when I tried to print the Sample Page, I would get the same error message.

Please let me know if you figure anything out.

Thanks,
Dan

Occasional Advisor
DavidVisionworks
Message 3 of 51 (2,741 Views)

Hi Dan,

Yeh, really cant understand what is happening - now our printer isn't even printing out the test page in full after upgrading to the latest firmware and software.

After some indepth searching about this printer I came to this page - http://www.photo-i.co.uk/BB/viewtopic.php?t=4588

Seems like this printer is a bit of a mess. I'm thinking I'll try to get our boss to get the Epson Stylus Pro 3800 or something similar. Really for a printer that costs 450-500quid you expect something a bit better.

Before your printer gave out printer jams did you ever get a kink in the top 1/3 of the page?

David
Advisor
james Ireland
Message 4 of 51 (2,741 Views)

I have the same problems, have contacted HP and so far only got back a canned response.

It would seem to involve the paper sensor - however I have checked that, and its optical, and seems perfectly clear of any debris...

the printer worked fine until yesterday - so whats the probability that all 3 of us have the same failure almost on the same day? (I have had the rev 27 firmware since June).

Could it be the result of some HP software update, or a printer virus? BTW my printer also does not print more than the upper 2 inches of the test page - all prints stall at exactly the same spot. The specialty media feed also only works sporadically now.

My printer has only 251 pages through it, so its going to be one expensive pare weight if it can not be fixed.
Occasional Advisor
Per Baekgaard
Message 5 of 51 (2,741 Views)

Just encountered the same problem here also...

The paper seems to feed and print fine until the first 7.5cm (3 in) has been fed through the printer, and then it stops with a paper jam error.

The paper itself feeds just fine otherwise and also as/while the printer clears the jam, so it could be a paper sensor failing or being obstructed somehow ;-(

Any ideas on how to fix this would be more than welcome!

-- Per.
Occasional Advisor
Per Baekgaard
Message 6 of 51 (2,741 Views)

... seems like this is caused by a failure of the output paper sensor somehow ;-( Needs to go back to HP to get this fixed, it appears. At least mine does (2nd problem with it now, possibly related also to ink spill, with less than 150 prints and a bit more than a year old).

If you absolutely need to print despite the paper jam warnings, you should look between between the two right-most "pizza-wheels"/rubber-rools. The paper sensor is there, and appears to be a simple mechanical part that the paper should push down and activate a switch.

For some unknown reason, it is not activated correctly by the paper.

If it would be activated in some other ways -- for instance, if a flat piece of plastic that fits between the two rubber wheels happens to push it down when printing starts and until the paper is appearing outside of the pizza wheels -- the printer works just fine without any paper jams.

-- Per.

-- Per.
Advisor
james Ireland
Message 7 of 51 (2,741 Views)

Per

Thanks for the post,,,

Yes if you "fool" the sensor the printer does print - however that is one major pain. Also that indicates to me that the sensor itself is indeed working. I also tried using a piece of tape to keep the sensor always in the "paper detected" position - unfortunately the printer then hangs up in a "wait" mode after the paper is ejected.

If you leave the printer off overnight, then it will again print the test pages, and even successfully do a calibration run, however it you then try to print something from your computer, it goes back into the paper jam problem again.

I don't think it is a problem with the sensor, but a problem with the printers firmware - I have tried reloading the 27A rev firmware to no avail.

HP tech support is polite, but clueless, and having the printer serviced, at least here in the US, is really not an option, would cost almost as much as buying a new printer.

Occasional Visitor
digitaldan40
Message 8 of 51 (2,741 Views)

Hello,

It is really unfortunate that HP is not willing to step up to the plate and create a work-around for this problem. We know for sure that the printer will print a "test" page and execute it "Align" test pages without any problems. This demonstrates that it has the ability to print regardless of what the status of the sensor(switch)is. HP could adjust the firmware to override the sensor(switch). I don't really know why it is so imperative for the printer to "notify" that there is a jam. If the paper doesn't come out of the end of the paper path, then it's jammed - DUH!!!

I am really disappointed in HP for the overall poor performance of this "groundbreaking" printer. We are just barely out of warranty and have printed around 500 prints. You may as well buy a new one for what is would cost to ship and have repaired. (And still risk further costs by being out of warranty). Unfortunately, I don't have the confidence in the HP's B9180 to wager as to whether I can get a decent service life out if it.
I guess then that we are stuck with a big expensive boat anchor, not to mention the $450.00 EFI Designer Edition RIP Driver for HP B9180, extra ink carts and HP paper that we've stocked up on.

It appears at this point, that there is really no other choice, but to look to Epson for our future printing business.

We are through with HP.

Thanks,
Dan
Advisor
james Ireland
Message 9 of 51 (2,741 Views)

Not to turn this into an anti HP rant

But I to have sworn never to allow another HP product in my home.

I have at least a thousand dollars invested in the printer, inks (which it guzzles), and paper - and so far my per cost per photo print works out to well over $5 each - I could have had them done by the finest labs in the country, and paid next day shipping, and not even come close to that cost.

This printer carries an $800 USD list price,and is advertised as a professional grade unit,,yet HP treats it like one of their "disposable" $75 units.

Hence I must treat HP as a disposable manufacturer.

Occasional Advisor
Per Baekgaard
Message 10 of 51 (2,741 Views)

James,

You wrote:

> Yes if you "fool" the sensor the printer
> does print - however that is one major
> pain. Also that indicates to me that the
> sensor itself is indeed working.

> I don't think it is a problem with the
> sensor, but a problem with the printers
> firmware - I have tried reloading the 27A
> rev firmware to no avail.

Could be triggered by some changes in the firmware as well, but I suspect that the sensor is indeed the culprit.

As the paper stops with a jam when the sensor is not pushed down (as it should be automatically by the paper), and as it keeps on "wait'ing" when the paper has been ejected if the sensor is forcefully held down, it appears as a mainly mechanical problem to me?

If the sensor was sending the correct signal and it was just being incorrectly interpreted by the firmware, it would not work by holding down the sensor to prevent the jam condition to appear.

-- Per.
Occasional Advisor
DavidVisionworks
Message 11 of 51 (2,124 Views)

Can anyone upload a picture of where the paper sensor is please?

Our print is still completely bust - problems only started happening after the firmware update :S

Cheers,
David
Occasional Advisor
Per Baekgaard
Message 12 of 51 (2,124 Views)

David,

You wrote:

> Can anyone upload a picture of where the
> paper sensor is please?

Sure... have a look here at the following two pictures (just done quickly -- sorry for the bad quality).

You can see the rough position marked here:

http://www.b4net.dk/imgsrc/Teknik/D3C_6741.jpg

... and the actual paper sensor here, somewhat "inside" the printer but clearly visible from the outside.

http://www.b4net.dk/imgsrc/Teknik/D3C_6748.jpg

You probably need a small torch or something to be able to locate it.

Good luck,

-- Per.

PS: I talked to HP again today, and my claims are now on their claims department who will get back to me. I'm a bit wondering if the firmware update recommended to me by HP may have changed the timing or something related to when the check is done of the sensor position, and that a combination of a mechanical and sw issue has caused this problem. The guy I talked to claimed they had never heard about this problem... although there are plenty of cases on the net related to this ;-(
Advisor
james Ireland
Message 13 of 51 (2,124 Views)

Interesting thread,,gives us something to do except stare at our dead printers,,,,lol

I have a theory to bounce off everyone - I think my problem started when I actually got my first real paper jam (the printer prior to this never had one,,,), I was trying to print a couple of 5 by 7s out of the main tray,,,,and I think the paper actually did get cross fed.

I think the paper jam event scrambled the firmware - aka,,,they never actually tested a real paper jam with the rev 27a firmware.

As a former software engineer, this is entirely possible with a poorly written c plus operating program.
Advisor
james Ireland
Message 14 of 51 (2,124 Views)

quick follow up -

by fooling the front paper sensor with a small metal ruler I have been able to print,,,however it makes it almost impossible to use the specialty media tray,,,need to come up with something longer to wedge in there.

The media tray seems now to accept and align paper, but unless you keep the paper sensor depressed when you first start printing you only get the first 50 mm or so of the print before it throws a paper jam error.

clearly the paper sensor is working, its just not working at the correct time,, so the issue is not a hardware issue.

also weird, I inadvertently left a print job in the computers Que,,,when I booted the computer back up with the printer connected,,that job printed itself out with no paper jam error....however trying to print again resulted in an error.

Occasional Advisor
DavidVisionworks
Message 15 of 51 (2,124 Views)

Yeh - this printer is a complete mess,

I think it must be a firmware issue - because until we all updated the printers were working 'fine' - we'll as good as this printer does it job. Which is poorly.

How did you manage to keep the switch pressed down? I've tried with a small screw driver but it didn't seem to do anything to help it start printing!! :( - on a good note - I found it! lol

If anyone feels like posting a video up of it actually working with and without the jam - then we could send it to HP and get them to fix it!
Occasional Advisor
Per Baekgaard
Message 16 of 51 (2,124 Views)

DavidVisionworks wrote:

> How did you manage to keep the switch
> pressed down? I've tried with a small screw
> driver but it didn't seem to do anything to
> help it start printing!!

I probably did pretty much the same as you tried to do.

Use a flat ruler or something, preferably wood or plastic, so that you don't leave marks on the plastic. It needs to be small enough to fit in between the two wheels, and it shouldn't be to thick either, as the paper has to pass above it unrestricted.

Locate the sensor and position yourself with a clear view of it. I use also a small torch to help me locate it and keep track of it.

Start the print job. It will usually take a short while before the paper gets loaded and the actual printing commences.

In this period, simply push the ruler in to touch the visible top of the sensor. On mine, just pushing the sensor lightly depresses it, so it is quite easy to make it go to the "on" position.

If you use a too small or hard device, it may be difficult to prevent the sensor from popping up again to the side of the device, or you may simply just end up making a small mark in it and not depress it; The sensor has to be able to "squeeze itself" below the ruler.

Keep it depressed until the paper starts coming out of the pizza-wheels. This may take 30 seconds or so -- not sure, didn't time it precisely. To be sure, wait until it is like 1 cm (1/2 in) ourside of the wheels. You then just pull out the ruler and wait for the final print to appear.

-- Per.
Occasional Advisor
DavidVisionworks
Message 17 of 51 (2,124 Views)

So in theory, could the sensor be taped down to prevent having to use a ruler all the time?
Occasional Advisor
Per Baekgaard
Message 18 of 51 (2,124 Views)

I didn't try that, but someone else above implied he did.

It will apparently not work, as the sensor also needs to be cleared afterwards. Otherwise the printer thinks it has a paper still on the way out, and will keep a "wait" flashing in the display.

-- Per.
Occasional Advisor
DavidVisionworks
Message 19 of 51 (2,124 Views)

So using a ruler to trick the sensor isn't really a solution? It's a shame HP wont release an upgrade to the firmware to fix this.

Does anyone know how we could all contact them to star the ball rolling. Assumingly everyone has this problem with the firmware update??
Occasional Advisor
Per Baekgaard
Message 20 of 51 (2,124 Views)

No, it is not a "fix" in the sense that it can be done without user invention every time you print a paper.

Has anyone tried to flash back a previous version of the firmware?

-- Per.
Occasional Advisor
DavidVisionworks
Message 21 of 51 (2,149 Views)

I couldn't find the firmware version to try it. I spent all of Friday afternoon looking for it.
Occasional Advisor
Per Baekgaard
Message 22 of 51 (2,149 Views)

OK -- I am expecting HP to call me back one of these days, so I'll try to ask them.

-- Per.
Occasional Advisor
DavidVisionworks
Message 23 of 51 (2,149 Views)

If anyone has the old firmware versions predating maybe even as far back as 15A I'd appreciate it. I dont think 26A will be much good. :S But you never know!!
Advisor
james Ireland
Message 24 of 51 (2,152 Views)

Unfortunately I only updated from my original rev 21 firmware to the 27A firmware, or I would have archived the older revs.

If anyone has one of the older revs, and is willing to try to roll it back, please let us all know - many times you can not roll back firmware though.

I have tried to reinstall the rev 27a firmware, and it just keeps telling me I already have that update.

Since many people have been asking questions, I made a web site devoted to Per discovery about fooling the sensor.

http://members.cox.net/technconsult/hpprinter.htm

Occasional Advisor
DavidVisionworks
Message 25 of 51 (2,152 Views)

lol

lol

lol
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.