HP Solution Center will not open (1402 Views)
Occasional Advisor
RedEye
Message 1 of 53 (1,402 Views)

HP Solution Center will not open

I noticed this issue when i talked to this 1 customer about his issue with the solution center. everything works fine except that the HP Solution Center will not open. What i did was i updated the FlashPlayer to the latest version after that i restarted the computer and it now works. can anyone here verify if this would be an applicable solution to this kind of issue? so far this is my workaround to this to skip on the re-installation part of the software since i did it a couple of times still it didnt fix the issue. when it happened i checked on task manager and the solution center was there however it just wont open. so updating the FlashPlayer to latest version was my last shot to it since i was thinking that the environment of Solution Center was more on animation which FlashPlayers are related to it. Could this an appicable fix to this matter?
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
wmeyer51
Message 2 of 53 (1,402 Views)

Re: HP Solution Center will not open

I also had the problem, I am running Vista Premium Sp1. I beleive this problem started when I upgraded to Vista Sp1. Installing the latest version of flash did also work for me, so I beleive this is a viable solution to the problem. thank you for your advice
Please use plain text.
Advisor
ags150
Message 3 of 53 (1,414 Views)

I have had this problem for the second time and so far have found no fix. Uninstalling FlashPlayer and installing the latest version with restart, has not made any difference. I am running XP and can think of no reason for this to suddenly happen.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
RedEye
Message 4 of 53 (1,414 Views)

i somehow wonder as well what is causing this software to malfunction all of a sudden.

for cases like yours, i know an application that is included on the software cd which will repair the Solution Center. file location:

:\setup\solution center\

im not sure though on the folder name for solution center if thats exactly what appears on the cd. but if you find it. it will contain a file that will have an extension of (.msi), right click on the file and choose the Repair option.

let me know if it works. good luck.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
ags150
Message 5 of 53 (1,414 Views)

Many thanks for your help. The msi repair wouldn't recognise the software prob. as I had installed the update. I re-installed from the CD and tried again - this time I had an error message ref. to FlashPlayer, the other suggestion for this problem. I had downloaded the latest ver. but it had not installed properly. I had to click on the appl. file in windows/system32/macromedia/flash* for the update to install. 'flash9b.ocx' (v.9.0.28.0) seems to be the problem - 'flash9f.ocx' (v.9.0.124.0)is now installed and Solution Center works! (*Note: a brilliant free download called 'SECUNIA PCI' checks for insecure & out-of-date apps., and points to the exact folder location (not obvious for flashplayer), and gives easy to use links - I commend it to all for security reasons also).
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
RedEye
Message 6 of 53 (1,414 Views)

that good news. i will be noting that application you used. that could be a great help in cases like yours which update for the flash player did not install successfuly with the normal procedure.

hopefully others will be able to post their solutions here as well so other can be able to get ideas to fix this kind of issues.
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
lindzog
Message 7 of 53 (1,414 Views)

hmm..ive just googled and found this session. Guess what? I installed the HP all in one on Vista and found that Solution Centre wont open. I spent hours on the phone with HP Support (who are completely useless as ever. They dont call back when they say they will etc). HP email support, (who are even more useless) told me to download the latest V11 software from the website. I did this, but Solution Centre still wont run. Ive uninstalled and resintalled so many times ive lost count. Since installing the HP webstie v 11 software, I have found that the Exceptions it creates in the Windows Firewall wont Delete, even after a full uninstall. Ive since tried using System Restore to get my System back to what it was, but it now wont restore to ANY restore point. This is virtually brand new Dell computer and Dell believes HP software must have corrupted the System. So, I shall probably have to Repair the OS. The (brand new) hp printer is going back in its box and to she shop. Surely, the moral is dont touch HP printers and software? Clearly I am not alone with this problem. I am really peed off that my new Dell computer has been stuffed up in this way, seemingly by HP software.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
ags150
Message 8 of 53 (1,414 Views)

Lindsay. Sorry to hear about your problems but not entirely suprised. Look at my post for June 4 (ags150) and if you can't delete the necessary file(s) try a friend who can use 'Explorer'. I could take you through it but am away from home for the next couple of days. Contact me again if you get nowhere. If I had looked at the Forums, I wouldn't have bought the product either.
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
lindzog
Message 9 of 53 (1,414 Views)

tks ags. I did look at your post.
Curiously I was doing a Dell chat support session last night, and I think my pc told me i needed to download a Flash update first, so i may not have had it on the system. Trouble for me now is that I dont even think i can start to tackle the HP printer problem until I know System Restore is working again. That program you mentioned sounded quite good, but Im not clear what it does. I ran the Windows Install Cleaner tool today and it finds no HP software left on my System. But that doesnt explain why i still have HP exe Exceptions showing up in my Windows Firewall - and they wont Delete. Grrr. tks for your thoughts.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
ags150
Message 10 of 53 (1,414 Views)

I did post some details for the offending flash file in another post, but don't have the time to search before leaving. It is something like flash9b.exe (...9f.exe is OK)in the XP 'windows/system32/macromed' folder. may be diffrent folder in Vista. ags
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
lindzog
Message 11 of 53 (1,419 Views)

dont worry. ive reinstalled my dell back to the factory image and its working fine. just got reinstall my additional programs now. you can be sure that the HP c4485 printer wont be one. Its going back for a refund. sadly though I also bought an hp 4380 wireless printer for use with xp laptop. It seems ok, but as a protest im tempted to take them both back and buy elsewhere. These things matter. Both my laptops are HP, but i shall move away now to another manufacturer when i upgrade. tks again and enjoy your travels. L
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
falcon94
Message 12 of 53 (1,419 Views)

I had this problem as well. I got my laptop (with Vista) and printer about a year and a half ago, and for a long time everything HP related worked perfectly on my computer. Then about a year later I had to wipe my entire computer because of a corrupt file that was casing a lot of problems. After reinstalling *everything* back onto my laptop, HP Solution Center would not open.

I tried updating my Flash Player (with Firefox), restarted my computer, but Solution Center did not work. Then, on a hunch, I tried Internet Explorer to download it. I restarted my computer and now HP Solution Center works!!! I think it has something to do with the fact that when you download using Firefox it says the version you are downloading is for "Browser: Firefox, Safari, Opera" and when you use Internet Explorer is says "Windows, Internet Explorer". There is a link on the download page that says "Different operating system or browser?" which I assume would take you to the different versions.

Maybe everyone already knows this but I just thought since it helped me, maybe it will help someone else! Good luck, everyone, with this problem!
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
lindzog
Message 13 of 53 (1,419 Views)

my downloads were down through IE. In the end I uninstalled the HP, took it back for refund. Install was smooth, perfect and they are working like a dream. I say they because the first was so good i bought two. Gguess their laptops are ok. Again just my experience. :)
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
ronaldh
Message 14 of 53 (1,419 Views)

HP Photosmart Solution Center hasn't worked since I downloaded Adobe Flash Player 9. I would double click on the desktop icon, it would act like it was starting but nothing would happen. It would appear to be running in the task manager. I downloaded Flash Player 10 and it still would not work. I un-installed and re-installed HP Photosmart Solution Center three times, but it still wouldn't work. I ran a Solution Center repair application from the installation CD, :\setup\solution center\ . That took care of the problem.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
ags150
Message 15 of 53 (1,419 Views)

Check my post for June 4 (ags150). I am not sure about the appropriate Vista folder, but in XP, go to windows>system32/macromed. I found that when I deleted the flash9b.exe (and/or c?) but left the flash9f.exe file, I got Solution Center to open after a re-boot. No guarantee that it will work for you, but I am sure that there is an issue with the older version(s) of flash.

-----
PS: This thread has been edited to adhere to Forum Guidelines
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
lindzog
Message 16 of 53 (1,419 Views)

so the censors removed my last posting too.
That was the one where i simply pointed out that their editing of my earlier posting had created the misleading impression that Canon software was not good. It is completely inappropriate to edit a posting in such a way that it misrepresents what was said. What i had said was that the HP Printers had not worked properly because of bad software. Their Canon replacement had worked perfectly. I added that although my HP laptops had been ok, If you are going to amend the posting, please make sure it is an accurate reflection of what was said, or at least, do not alterate in such a way as you alter the meaning to misrepresent the write. You have altered the meaning and it is important that this is corrected. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Donald Rae
Message 17 of 53 (1,419 Views)

I gave had to reinstall the HP software for my C7250 printer scanner at least a dozen times. HP solution center works for a few days and then suddenly the scan feature locks up. I can scan via the web application. I am very tired of reinstalling the software every 2-3 weeks.

Any idea what is going on? HP cannot seem to figure it out.
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
lindzog
Message 18 of 53 (1,419 Views)

sorry donald that like the rest of us you ended up here. there appears to be no solution. the HP software just doesnt work right. My solution was to just vote with my feet and buy another make. Fortunately I found out quickly enough. Hope you get a solution that works for you.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
ags150
Message 19 of 53 (1,419 Views)

Donald. Check out my post for June 4. Since updating flash player with the latest version, I have had no problems (fingers crossed). Download Secunia PSI which will check for all out-of-date programs and provide a on-click update.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Donald Rae
Message 20 of 53 (1,419 Views)

I just down loaded HP's all-in-one software from HP's website. It made a world of difference. Now by printer and HP solution center are working fine.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Oliver Wilton
Message 21 of 53 (1,412 Views)

I ended up here as I was trying to resolve a problem with HP Solution Centre for one my clients.

Thankfully this thread mentioned Adobe Flash Player and gave me the clue where to look. As we are on a secure network we use the macromedia lockdown file mms.cfg to restrict Flash Player. This was what was stopping HP Solution Centre from working. So thought I would quickly post my findings in case it helps anyone else.

C:\windows\system32\Macromed\Flash\mms.cfg

If you have this file either delete it or edit it so that
LocalFileReadDisable=0

This may not be possible on secure work machines but will not be a problem on home machines - although you are unlikely to have this file on home machines!

Hope it helps someone.
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
lindzog
Message 22 of 53 (1,412 Views)

oliver,
good suggestion. too late for me sadly, but it may well help others. Still leaves the question why HP software should require this?
Please use plain text.
Advisor
ags150
Message 23 of 53 (1,412 Views)

Anyone else with a similar problem should apply both solutions: download the updated software from the HP site and attend to any Flash Player issues, ensuring that you have the latest version(s). ('Secunia PSI' free download will scan and advise.)
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
plug_it_in
Message 24 of 53 (1,412 Views)

Had the same problem on XP one things I have not sen here so far. I use Firefox as my main browser installing flash from Adobe here did not fix the problem. When I installed Flash using Windows Internet Explorer (IE) it all burst into life.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
ags150
Message 25 of 53 (1,412 Views)

On 16 Nov., 'falcon64' mentions that he had found this method successful too. Good to read that you have fixed the problem and provided a cure for others.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation