HP Photosmart 850: Doesn't turn on after battery recharge (164 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Rajiv_7
Message 1 of 10 (164 Views)

HP Photosmart 850: Doesn't turn on after battery recharge

After recharging my 1400 or my 2100mAH NiCd batteries and placing them in my digital camera, the camera's red focus light and LCD screen light up for a few seconds then go off. When I switch the camera on, nothing happens. It doesn't turn on. It usually does this for about a week (or longer if the batteries have a larger mAH rating) and I can't get the camera to work. Finally after a while of playing around, turning it on and off, it turns on with LUCK! I am afraid of charging the batteries when I take it on trips for fear that it won't turn on. HP Support has not helped. Does anyone here have any ideas as to what the problem might be?
Frequent Advisor
Martin Balaj
Message 2 of 10 (164 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart 850: Doesn't turn on after battery recharge

I'm using external charger and everything works fine ,try update firmware http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?product=75971〈=en&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&os=228&softwareitem=ps-12897-1 .
Honored Contributor
Dave Unverhau_1
Message 3 of 10 (164 Views)

Does the camera work with alkaline cells? NiCd cells are not recommended for HP digital cameras (and many other devices) because the characteristic voltage of these cells is lower than Alkaline cells and NiMH cells. While the characteristic voltage of an Alkaline cell is 1.5V, the NiCd cell only produces 1.2V, which translates to 4.8V for a four-cell NiCd battery as opposed to 6V for a four-cell Alkaline battery. NiMH cells have a characteristic voltage of around 1.35-1.4V, so a four-cell NiMH battery will provide .6V to .8V more than a NiCd battery.

The NiCd battery voltage is probably just marginal at best, and becomes unuseable as the cells age.

Best Regards,

Dave
Romans 8:28
Occasional Visitor
Rajiv_7
Message 4 of 10 (164 Views)

Hi Dave,

Thank you for your response.

No, the camera does not work with alcalines. The only time it will work with ANY battery is if it started working magically after the one - two week period of playing around with it.

Perhaps if I used a 6v adaptor, do you think it would start working then?
Honored Contributor
Dave Unverhau_1
Message 5 of 10 (164 Views)

I can't say for sure, Rajiv. It's certainly worth a try, though.

Another thing that occurred to me is that I'm noticing that sometimes my mode switch is a little finicky. I've had my 850 for about a year and a half, and it's been used heavily. Sometimes, I turn it on and it starts to turn on but turns back off. I'm convinced it's a switch problem. Does your camera behave any differently, with respect to power-up, if you switch it to the timer mode or the mpeg movie mode?

Just wondering...

Best Regards,

Dave
Honored Contributor
Dave Unverhau_1
Message 6 of 10 (164 Views)

Rajiv,

I was thinking some more on what you're seeing, and I'm thinking you have a hardware problem that needs HP service. Have you spoken with an HP service tech at all? If not, why not try an online chat with an HP tech? Here's a link to the (US English) support page for the 850:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?product=75971&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&submit.y=6&submit.x=7〈=en&cc=us

From here, you can click the link for "Solve a problem", then "Connect with an online technician". I've not actually done this on HP's web, but it looks like the chat process I've used with other vendors.

Let us know what happens!

Best Regards,

Dave
Occasional Visitor
Rajiv_7
Message 7 of 10 (164 Views)

Dave,

The camera does not act any different when the timer or video option is selected.

I have talked to HP support and they reccommend service but since it is out of warranty, they want $230CAD! I am determined to use the servicing as a last resort.
Honored Contributor
Dave Unverhau_1
Message 8 of 10 (164 Views)

Understood! I hope you can come up with a reasonable fix. This situation will probably present itself to me someday (though I hope it's not for a long time, as I really can't divert funds to another digital camera anytime soon).

If I was in that spot and determined to not spend any additional money, I'd probably try to open the camera and check for anything that doesn't look "right", like loose components/cables, cracks, corrosion.

If you don't want to open it yourself, maybe you could find a camera repair tech at a local shop who'd help investigate, for a reasonable charge.

Good luck, and please let us know if you're able to make any progress.

Best Regards,

Dave
Occasional Visitor
Rajiv_7
Message 9 of 10 (164 Views)

Dave,

Thank you for your help. I will keep you posted should anything surface. I am going to try using a 6v adaptor hoping that it will "boost" the camera and then allow it to work with the batteries. (Because once the batteries do start working, they never fail until I recharge them).

Thanks,
Rajiv
Occasional Advisor
PJ_13
Message 10 of 10 (164 Views)

Hey-

I hope you still get notifications from this forum. I am having the exact same problem. The camera blinks at me and then nothing. I bought the dock, tried to use rechargeable NiMH batteries that came with the dock, and now nothing. I hope it works in a week. Let me know if you have had any luck. Thanks a lot

Here is my thread

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=767478
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.