HP Cue Status (446 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Sunspot33
Message 1 of 23 (446 Views)

HP Cue Status

How am I able to fix an HP Cue Status error? It pops up every time my computer restarts. Thanks!
Frequent Advisor
KFU$KER
Message 2 of 23 (446 Views)

Re: HP Cue Status

This issue is in relation to your internal computer settings.

Is this your computer? It appears as though this may be a high end system inside a corp. Are you trying to access the inside firmware of the system, for which you may not have access too.
Frequent Advisor
KFU$KER
Message 3 of 23 (446 Views)

It may be required for you to have to reinstall the HP printing software.

There are quite a number of steps here for you to have, and need to do.

First you will need to unplug the printer from the computer, and by removing the USB cable in the back of the computer.

This is easier then removing it from the printer, because you will need to plug it back in later as explained here.

1: Unplug Printer
2: Click Start
3: Click on Programs
4: Find the HP section
5: Click uninstall
6: Follow through the uninstall process
7: Restart the computer
8: Wait until the computer has fully initilized
9: All the way into windows, and fully up and running.
10: Insert USB plug into the back of the PC
11: Wait until the Windows Auto install process as appeared.
12: Cancel this install window
13: Insert Software provided by HP for the printer. Normal DISC 1 - And it has to have the Printer Driver Software!

14: The system will require a restart.
15: At this point leave the printer plugged into the computer.
16: Once fully restarted you should find there will not be a problem with your printer ques, and you should be able to bring up the status of the printer, and see the levels of ink, and other system components.

Note: if this dose not work, then you will need to contact the HP Support Centre.

WARNING: DO NOT UNINSTALL THIS FROM THE ADD/REMOVE PROGRAM SECTION IN THE CONTROL PANEL.

Another way to explain:
After this you will need to restart the computer.

Right after you restart the computer, you will need to plug the printer, but wait until it has restarted, and Windows has completely appeared.

Then after this you will need to cancel the windows drivers found new hardware wizard.

WARNING: This will not help your cause, and probably will damage your goal. DO NOT INSTALL YOU PRINTER THROUGH THE WIZARD.

Next:

Insert the CD that was provided with your HP Printer, or contact the Support centre to have a CD sent to you.

Then once this is finished, you can install the normal defaults, by simply clicking your way through the menus on the CD installation process.

After you have install the printer software, restart the computer, and you should have had your issue rectified.

If this does not help Contact the HP Support Centre, and they will assist you.

However following these steps should recitfy the issue. There may be a nee to enter the registry.

WARNING AND ATTENTION AND THE DEATH OF YOUR COMPUTER: DO NOT DO THIS.
Occasional Visitor
buellwinkle
Message 4 of 23 (446 Views)

This problem is horrible, no tech has been able to fix it. It happens on all my PC's at home (Windows XP Home, XP Pro and XP MCE). They said turn off software firewalls, I did, turn off router firewall, I did, reinstall software, I did, upgrade software, I did.

Any ideas on what to replace my HP C6180 with, $300 printer that I can't stand because of this error message. I need it to be networkable (wifi prefered) and have fax, copier and scanner. This is my first HP printer.

Thanks....
Occasional Visitor
frank201
Message 5 of 23 (446 Views)

I had same problem with a Photosmart C7180 AIO, running wireless. What seems to have fixed it, finally, was adding programs and ports to the PC's firewall exception list as shown in HP document c00897542, followed by a reboot of the wireless router, C7180, and the PC.

You still might find that you have to uninstall and reinstall the software, and clean up the registry.

Hope this helps.

Advisor
Sarfaraz
Message 6 of 23 (446 Views)

Hi All,

You can follow the following steps and do let me know about the same if it helped or not.

On Windows XP System, click on Start n then Run. In the Run box type in msconfig. Click on the Startup Tab at the top n from the list below uncheck the option which says HP CUE or something related to it. Click Apply (We might get an Access denied error, ignore the error by clicking on ok). lick Close (We might get an Access denied error, ignore the error by clicking on ok). Click on restart.The computer restarts n I hope that you won't get the message anymore.

Regards,
Sarfaraz.
Occasional Visitor
Gary Ketelsen
Message 7 of 23 (446 Views)

I also have a C7180 with the problem and tried the XP msconfig fix but could not find the HP Cue item under the Startup tab.....this is very annoying to say the least.
Occasional Visitor
Steven Drew
Message 8 of 23 (446 Views)

I have exactly the same problem.

A quick google search shows many other people do.

Everyone seems to be wasting time uninstalling/reinstalling sometimes fixing it mostly not (I tried this with no luck).

It is obviously a HP software bug, easly to tell from the Windows event log.

Hopefully HP realizes this and fixes the problem.

In case it helps the details from the event log which is entered each time the message shows up.

Faulting application hpqSTE08.exe, version 82.0.173.0, time stamp 0x457ce7be, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 6.0.6000.16386, time stamp 0x4549bdc9, exception code 0xc0150014, fault offset 0x00077dc2, process id 0x16c8, application start time 0x01c7e6d021ed5aa9.
Occasional Visitor
BARRY CRAIG
Message 9 of 23 (446 Views)

I have been having this problem with Vista also. I had the Home Premium version at first. I called HP about the problem and the service agent didn't have a clue even to what HP Cue was/is. Recently, I upgraded to Vista Ultimate, hoping it would fix this and some other problems I was having. It did fix some problems but the HP Cue error message continues to appear whenever I boot up the PC. Judging from the forum on this issue, it appears HP has not addressed this issue with a quick fix. It also seems that reinstalling the printer software does not fix the problem. Ironically, the printer I have (also an HP) continues to run fine. It's a non-problem problem.
Occasional Visitor
bbodie52
Message 10 of 23 (446 Views)

Like most users I have not been able to obtain a full explanation of the function of HP CUE, but I have found it to be an unnecessary HP add-on utility that HP apparently bundles with many of its DeskJet, Photosmart, etc. printers. In my case it installed as a part of my software package bundled with my new HP Photosmart 8750 network printer. The software installed OK on my Windows XP Pro-based PC, but caused nothing but trouble on my Windows Vista-based (Hewlett-Packard PC), giving me the dreaded "HP CUE error - will close" message every time the PC booted.

Disabling the "HP CUE Device Discovery Service" in the Windows Vista Services utility did not eliminate the error popup, until I discovered a related service (that lacked a description) labeled "HPQCXS08". If you go into Services and disable BOTH the "HP CUE Device Discovery Service" AND "hpqcxs08" the error popup is eliminated. The printer accessory utilities appear to remain fully functional and the printer seems to work perfectly. The computer even boots faster.

It is hard to understand why HP continues to bundle the bug-laden HP CUE with so many of its printer products. It appears to provide some minor but unnecessary function while causing major headaches with its customer base. HP Tech Support seems unable to help, and this buggy software utility remains a major problem for users with no help in sight from HP.

I hope those users who are plagued with the HP CUE error problem will find this "solution" helpful.
Occasional Visitor
Bob Kruppa
Message 11 of 23 (445 Views)

Where is the Services Utility in XP? Thanks.
Occasional Visitor
BARRY CRAIG
Message 12 of 23 (445 Views)

I finally talked to an HP technician about this. He confirmed that in a HP printer download (or disc), many features are bundled that are not necessarily needed for the PC. HP Cue is one of them as it has appeared on a variety of different HP printers discussed in this forum. The way we fixed this was to go to the "start" button, type "run" + enter to bring up the "run" dialogue box. Then, type "msconfig" (no quotes). In Vista, this brings up a tabbed system config box. Select "start up" and a bunch of programs will appear, some checked, some not checked. If you see anything that says HP before it, UNCHECK IT. This does not mean the printer device won't work. This is just eliminating it from the start up routine. Apply changes, close, reboot. The HP Cue status error should not appear after this, at least it didn't in my case. HP knows about the problem. If you get a qualified technician, and still are within warranty, you may want to consult before doing this on your own. You can mention this process to him/her.
Occasional Visitor
Raymond Herrick
Message 13 of 23 (445 Views)

Control Panel
Administrative Tools
System Configuration
Services

Remove Check From hpqcxs08 and
HP Cue Device Discovery Service

Ckeck APPLY

OK
Occasional Visitor
Bob Kruppa
Message 14 of 23 (445 Views)

When I bring up Administrative Tools I get several line items and not a window where there are tabs to choose from. There is no place to check or uncheck files.

In going to msconfig the only files listed are:
HPWuSchd2
HP Digital Imaging...
HP Image Zone Fast Start

Unchecking these didn't help.
Occasional Visitor
BARRY CRAIG
Message 15 of 23 (445 Views)

The instructions I gave were on a Vista Ultimate machine guided by one of he HP technicians. If you are still having problems and your PC is still under warranty, call them and they should be able to guide you through this evidently prevalent problem.
Occasional Visitor
Raymond Herrick
Message 16 of 23 (445 Views)

My posting on 4/29 was for Vista Home Premium SP-1

Sorry I did not state this.
Occasional Visitor
Steve Cook 3DW
Message 17 of 23 (445 Views)

I started a new business in April. Bought two HP printers without hestitation because I had always thought they were the best.

I bought a Dell Vostro (no crapware) running Windows XP (no crapware) and now, after installing and uninstalling both HP printers twice, it is evident that HP software is full of crapware.

In addition to the HP Cue - scanning software error that they has not been addressed by HP, ........now many times when I boot up the HPHelpAssistant installer comes up and I have to click cancel about 10 times as it keeps popping up, wanting so badly to install itself on my machine. Talk about VIRUS.

I am so disappointed in HP.
Occasional Visitor
Steve Cook 3DW
Message 18 of 23 (445 Views)

.........correction to the about......it is HPProductAssistant that continues to try and install itself. When I got out of this post, it was there waiting for me again.

Would anyone from HP care to fight for their good name and solve this?

I literally would pay for a plane ticket if I could get an HP technical executive to come to my office and see the crap I'm dealing with. I think they would be amazed.
Occasional Visitor
BARRY CRAIG
Message 19 of 23 (445 Views)

I stand by my original comments which worked for me in my previous post. With help from the tech support person (in India) who was very good and understood the problem well. We had the problem fixed in a matter of minutes. Once again, give this a try. I solved this problem BEFORE SP1 was available, so the update had nothing to do with fixing HP Cue.

What solved the problem for me was first bringing up the "run" menu (typing "run" on start/All Programs/Search" (or Windows key + R), and typing msconfig. A menu appears. Select the "start up" tab. Review what's in your start-up routine. Uncheck anything that has "HP" before it. In addition, you can deselect other programs (like I did with Photoshop and others). This doesn't mean you won't be able to use "Photoshop"--it will load just like it did before when you launch it. You will also possibly note your computer boots more quickly).

Anyway, by deselecting any HP products, your printer will still work. You hopefully will not see the "HP Cue error" message.

This worked for me--it may not for everybody. I have an HP PC with Vista Ultimate and an HP Officejet Printer Pro L7650.
Occasional Visitor
Ray Riordan
Message 20 of 23 (445 Views)

I am running Vista Home premium and no success in getting rid of the HP Cue Status problem by disabeling HP Que Discovery Service, that is, until bbodie52 (above) suggested diabeling HPQCXS08 also. That worked. End of problem.
Occasional Visitor
Noel Lynch
Message 21 of 23 (444 Views)

Same problem was driving me nuts. This should solve it. Click on Start then click on Run. Type msconfig.Click on Ok The configuration utility should open on the screen. Click on General Tab. Then choose Selective Startup. Next: Check Selective Startup. Now, Click on Startup Tab. Uncheck all the programs that start with HP Including Digital Imaging Monitor or hpqtra08 Next, click on OK Restart the system. If you get a message when you restart your PC saying you are using selective start up check the box in the window and press OK. Best Wishes, Noel.
Occasional Visitor
garyedinvest
Message 22 of 23 (444 Views)

I just purchased an HP Officejet 6310 printer for my home. I was reluctant to buy it or any other HP Inkjet printer after researching printers and discovering the enormous number of complaints and problems that exist with HP Inkjet printers. But the printer was 50% off so I bit the bullet and bought one to replace another HP Inkjet that has continuous carriage jam problems (a typical HP Inkjet problem).

The installation of the 6310 went smoothly and the printer seems to work but I also now get the HP Cue Status error that all of you have received. I read through all of your replies. I run Windows XP SP2 on an HP Media Center PC. I decided to start with clicking on RUN and enter MSCONFIG, select the STARTUP tab, and then decided to selectively uncheck anything that was HP. I began by unchecking both selections for HP Photosmart. I decided to APPLY these changes and then restart my PC. I wanted to see if this would fix the problem since these two items were the only ones not previously in my startup. Sure enough, by unchecking the HP Photosmart options, I no longer get the HP Cue Status message when I bootup my PC. So, the way things stand right now, it appears safe to leave all of the HP items checked that were previously in my startup. At least at this point it seems to do the trick on a Windows XP SP2 system. Vista may be different.
Occasional Visitor
Rebecca L Baisch
Message 23 of 23 (444 Views)

I had this same problem when I installed Canon Utilities for my camera. It didn't happen until the first time I downloaded pictures, when the HP Photosmart window popped up. I went in and unchecked everything HP in my startup menu (see post from garyedinvest,) as I too have WinXPSP2. So far, no more problems.

I also had this same problem on another computer with XP and never did completely get rid of it. One thing I noticed was that a "new" printer showed up in my printer devices after I installed a HP update, spec. Auto HP 7500 which I deleted. I have no idea why the "Auto" printer was added.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.