System abort on an HP3000 979 (224 Views)
Occasional Contributor
David Romero_1
Message 1 of 5 (224 Views)

System abort on an HP3000 979

We have been experiencing a system abort 1116 from subsystem 101, secondary status;info=16419 subsys=7084, halt 7 $045c when doing a routine system reboot. Why is the system experiencing this problem when there are no other apparent problems when the system is up and running normally? Just about every part of this system has been changed without much success. Any help on this problem would be greatly appreciated.
Honored Contributor
Kwan Fong, Emile
Message 2 of 5 (224 Views)

Re: System abort on an HP3000 979

Hello David,

System Abort #1116 indicates the Memory Manager has detected an error while trying to identify a block of contiguous physical pages. Subsystem #101 is the Memory Manager.

In other words, it is a failure to get a contiguous block of good memory.

If you have taken a memory dump then log a software call to the HP Response Center.

Without a memory dump, all is speculate and guess. Have you had any HPMC errors recently? Are there any memory errors (can be seen in cstm)?
King is the customer!
Honored Contributor
Chuck Ciesinski
Message 3 of 5 (224 Views)

David,

If you don't have a memory dump, you sometimes can get some other valid hardware information by shutting down your system normally. Once down,
do a standard cntl b and 'rs' your system.

Once the system is booted, interrupt the startup during the 10 second window. A menu of choices should come up and one of those should say 'SERVICE'. Enter SERVICE and go to it's menu. Select the 'pim' option and record the information presented for each processor. Typically you should get a timestamp, hpchassiscodes, I/O module error logs and the memory error log. I know that this will work with HP-UX and since the boot process is the same until IPL, this should work.

After recording the data, you can send that to HP. Exit the service menu and restart your system following your own proceedures.

HTH,

Chuck Ciesinski
"Show me the $$$$$"
Frequent Advisor
Deron Funk
Message 4 of 5 (224 Views)

David,

You didn't mention if this was occuring on shutdown or startup, and whether it occurs every single time or not. My notes seem to indicate this is an early bootup type abort.

I do know the secondary status can be ignored because the routine get_memory (where this abort originates) does not set the secondary values, so it is unitialized.

The most common cause of this abort is simply a bad memory card or carrier.

Another cause in the past was that interrupts were occurring during a call to get_memory, and these interrupts apparently caused pages to be allocated. So when get_memory is allocating contiguous pages, if pages are allocated elsewhere in the middle of this process, it would result in a SA 1116 (because the pages would not be contiguous).

The HP Response Center will best be able to help you isolate the cause of this abort.
Honored Contributor
Chuck Ciesinski
Message 5 of 5 (224 Views)

David,

What version of MPE/iX are you on? It will help
to know that so we know what tools to recommend.
Emile suggested using CSTM in an earlier post.
CSTM is available on 6.5 or higher.

CSTM is a good tool once one learns how to use it.

My additional $.03 for infalation,

Chuck Ciesinski
"Show me the $$$$$"
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.