Sendmail performance (215 Views)
Trusted Contributor
Fred Metcalf
Message 1 of 6 (215 Views)
Accepted Solution

Sendmail performance

I need some help to troubleshoot sendmail performance. In our test environment a small email takes less than 1 sec elapsed time and 950 CPU ms. (millisecond).
At the problem site it takes 40-55 sec elapsed time and +- 600 CPU ms on the live system and 6 sec elapsed time and 1100 CPU ms on the development system.
I can get inside the sendmail process on the live system with Glance and the WAIT reason is "MESSAGE - IPC message file wait".
What does that mean?
What is my next step?
Honored Contributor
Perignon
Message 2 of 6 (215 Views)

Re: Sendmail performance

Fred,

On this subject, It'd be helpful to specify which environment you are working in, EG. Stand-alone PC connected to internet or through a compagny or home LAN. Also which OS you are running. These details may considerably change our approach to sendmail performance.

Alain.
Frustrations surmounted are paving the way to expertise.
Trusted Contributor
Fred Metcalf
Message 3 of 6 (215 Views)

Alain,
I assumed this being the MPE/iX category would be enough info. This problem is on an HP e3000 N4000-400-750 running MPE/iX version 7.5.
Fred
Honored Contributor
Perignon
Message 4 of 6 (215 Views)

Fred,

Having worked during decades in a variety of LAN environments (UN, WEU and NATO), I'won't concur with your straightforward approach. All details are important. But that's your problem afterall. No harm aimed nor done.

Friendly,
Alain.
Frustrations surmounted are paving the way to expertise.
Trusted Contributor
Scott Hower
Message 5 of 6 (215 Views)

Fred - this page may point you in the correct direction: <>.
I remember experiencing a similar issue some time ago. From what I recall the problem was related to an incorrect or missing entry in RESLVCNF.NET.SYS. You many want to check HOSTS.NET.SYS, also. It wasn't anything in NPCONFIG although you may want to check the gateway there...it does seem like it's a routing issue. Your messages get to their destination eventually but they don't know how to get there quickly.
Respected Contributor
James Hofmeister
Message 6 of 6 (215 Views)

Most sendmail on the 3k is send to a relay host. Check your .cf files for "Smart" relay host.

Regards,
James Hofmeister
Our customers are 1st with Speed, Power and Passion!
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.