Performance of VA7410 with SCSI Fibre routers vs. Mod 20 (228 Views)
Occasional Contributor
Jason Dommasch
Message 1 of 4 (228 Views)

Performance of VA7410 with SCSI Fibre routers vs. Mod 20

Hello,

I was wondering for a 989KS/650 if it would be worth replacing a Mod 20 with a VA7410 connected through SCSI Fiber routers to improve storage performance.

I'm not sure if the VA7410 is a faster array or if it makes a difference, or if the FW-SCSI bus is the limiting factor.

The configuration for connecting the server to the Mod 20:
- 2 x FW-SCSI ports on server
- 2 x SCSI ports on Mod 20 (one per FW-SCSI server port)
- LUNs on Mod 20 configured so half are available on one SCSI controller port and half on the other

The new configuration for connecting the server to the VA array:
- 2 x FW-SCSI ports on server
- 2 x A5814A-003 SCSI Fiber routers (one per FW-SCSI port)
- 2 x fibre host ports on VA7410 (one per SCSI Fibre router)
- LUNs on VA7410 separated into the 2 redundacy groups, with half the LUNs showing up on one controller fibre host port, and half on the other.
Honored Contributor
Kwan Fong, Emile
Message 2 of 4 (228 Views)

Re: Performance of VA7410 with SCSI Fibre routers vs. Mod 20

Hello Jason,

Would it be worth replacing Nike Array Mod20 with VA7410 SCSI-FC Router? Good question.

I would say no as the VA7410 performance would be limited to the FW-SCSI host adapter throughput. It would be different if the VA7410 is using native FC connectivity; unfortunately native FC VA7410 is not supported on 9x9 server.

VA7410 SCSI-FC requires MPE/iX OS 7.0 or higher with limitations:
- SCSI-FC router (A5814A-003)Firmware level should be 8.01.0C or higher.
- Support will only be allowed on a dedicated SCSI bus, with no other types of devices.
- Maximum of 8 LDEVs for best performance. Having 9 or more LDEVs configured may cause performance problems under high I/O loads.
- No support for shared SCSI buses.
- F/W SCSI Device Adapter Card (28696A) firmware MUST be at level 3728 or 3944 (3728 recommended).
- 9x9 Core I/O card will be supported under the following conditions:
-----> Must disconnect all internal F/W SCSI drives.
-----> Must have firmware level of 3636.
-----> Up to 8 LDEVs will be supported (Tested limit).
- Not all switches and hubs are supported

If you have not done already, a performance analysis must first be done to have a feel what the system performance is today.

HP offers performance analysis service. Let us know if you are interested.
King is the customer!
Honored Contributor
Chuck Ciesinski
Message 3 of 4 (228 Views)

jason,

overall I agree with my good friend Emile, however, lets also look at wht the purpose of the box is, development or production. Since it is a large K-class box I'm going to assume production. If production, follow Emile's advice. Do not switch.

If test, then you have a large test box and if the cost savings can justify the loss of productivity, then maybe review it more.

If a mixed dev/test/production, which is very possible on an HP3000, then treat it as production and just say NO.

Chuck
"Show me the $$$$$"
Occasional Contributor
Jason Dommasch
Message 4 of 4 (228 Views)

I forgot to follow up. Our customer decided to stick with a 989 with Mod 20s. Thanks for the info; was useful.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.