Re: Performance of VA7410 with SCSI Fibre routers vs. Mod 20 (118 Views)
Occasional Contributor
Jason Dommasch
Message 1 of 4 (118 Views)

Performance of VA7410 with SCSI Fibre routers vs. Mod 20

Hello,

I was wondering for a 989KS/650 if it would be worth replacing a Mod 20 with a VA7410 connected through SCSI Fiber routers to improve storage performance.

I'm not sure if the VA7410 is a faster array or if it makes a difference, or if the FW-SCSI bus is the limiting factor.

The configuration for connecting the server to the Mod 20:
- 2 x FW-SCSI ports on server
- 2 x SCSI ports on Mod 20 (one per FW-SCSI server port)
- LUNs on Mod 20 configured so half are available on one SCSI controller port and half on the other

The new configuration for connecting the server to the VA array:
- 2 x FW-SCSI ports on server
- 2 x A5814A-003 SCSI Fiber routers (one per FW-SCSI port)
- 2 x fibre host ports on VA7410 (one per SCSI Fibre router)
- LUNs on VA7410 separated into the 2 redundacy groups, with half the LUNs showing up on one controller fibre host port, and half on the other.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Kwan Fong, Emile
Message 2 of 4 (118 Views)

Re: Performance of VA7410 with SCSI Fibre routers vs. Mod 20

Hello Jason,

Would it be worth replacing Nike Array Mod20 with VA7410 SCSI-FC Router? Good question.

I would say no as the VA7410 performance would be limited to the FW-SCSI host adapter throughput. It would be different if the VA7410 is using native FC connectivity; unfortunately native FC VA7410 is not supported on 9x9 server.

VA7410 SCSI-FC requires MPE/iX OS 7.0 or higher with limitations:
- SCSI-FC router (A5814A-003)Firmware level should be 8.01.0C or higher.
- Support will only be allowed on a dedicated SCSI bus, with no other types of devices.
- Maximum of 8 LDEVs for best performance. Having 9 or more LDEVs configured may cause performance problems under high I/O loads.
- No support for shared SCSI buses.
- F/W SCSI Device Adapter Card (28696A) firmware MUST be at level 3728 or 3944 (3728 recommended).
- 9x9 Core I/O card will be supported under the following conditions:
-----> Must disconnect all internal F/W SCSI drives.
-----> Must have firmware level of 3636.
-----> Up to 8 LDEVs will be supported (Tested limit).
- Not all switches and hubs are supported

If you have not done already, a performance analysis must first be done to have a feel what the system performance is today.

HP offers performance analysis service. Let us know if you are interested.
King is the customer!
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Chuck Ciesinski
Message 3 of 4 (118 Views)

jason,

overall I agree with my good friend Emile, however, lets also look at wht the purpose of the box is, development or production. Since it is a large K-class box I'm going to assume production. If production, follow Emile's advice. Do not switch.

If test, then you have a large test box and if the cost savings can justify the loss of productivity, then maybe review it more.

If a mixed dev/test/production, which is very possible on an HP3000, then treat it as production and just say NO.

Chuck
"Show me the $$$$$"
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
Jason Dommasch
Message 4 of 4 (118 Views)

I forgot to follow up. Our customer decided to stick with a 989 with Mod 20s. Thanks for the info; was useful.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation