Re: Free Disc Space? How much is needed (68 Views)
Occasional Contributor
Scott Yack
Message 1 of 5 (68 Views)

Free Disc Space? How much is needed

We are running a 969 quad processor. With about 100/150 users. System usually uses about 5-20% of cpu at any given time frame. My question is this, is there a percentage threshold that should be kept concerning free disc space. At what % might you see performance issues. What is the difference between free & transiant disc space.

Thanks
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Kwan Fong, Emile
Message 2 of 5 (68 Views)

Re: Free Disc Space? How much is needed

Hello Scott,

The more free permanent disc spaces your system has, the better is. It is recommended to have 20%-25% free permanent disc spaces in the system volume set. The system volume set free spaces are also used for transient spaces.

Transient space is space used as a swap area for objects which are not permanent files, for example, stacks, heaps, system tables. If system runs out of transient space anything may occur from processes being unable to run to a system abort.

Permanent space is occupied by "permanent" files (programs, databases, libraries, directories, etc).

If system does have user volume sets, the same rule of thumb of 20%-25% still applies although there never have transient spaces in the user volume sets.
King is the customer!
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Chuck Ciesinski
Message 3 of 5 (68 Views)

Hi Scott,

Emile has provided some tried and true space definitions, and for the most part, I agree with them.
However, I would also suggest that the amount of disc capacity required for transient, permanent, temp files is going to be extermely dependent on what application you are running and what tools your application staff has used to develop reports.

I would like to suggest that you start a regimen of disc storage management. A great place to start is LOG####.PUB.SYS and NMLG####.PUB.SYS. These files can grow in space and size depending on what you configure for logging. Other files that
can be routinely controlled are memory dumps and spoolfiles.
MPEX from Vesoft is a great tool for taking care of this one aspect. IMHO, always utilize 'USER Volumes' for changing user data and the system volume set for tools and stagnant data.

My $.04 for inflation,

Chuck Ciesinski
"Show me the $$$$$"
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
Scott Yack
Message 4 of 5 (68 Views)

Thanks for all of the help!!
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Chuck Ciesinski
Message 5 of 5 (68 Views)

Scott,

As a side note, you should also think about how much memory you have and the number of channels you are utilizing for your disc
I/O. Having more memory in the system improves the probability that a data or program segment will be loaded and therefore reduce the number of I/O's to disc. Having more channels lets you spread out the file placement for reducing competing I/O requests.

Another $ .04 for inflation,

Chuck Ciesinski
"Show me the $$$$$"
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation