A counter with a negative value was detected in PC (1970 Views)
Respected Contributor
ajay.x.kumar
Message 1 of 10 (1,970 Views)
Accepted Solution

A counter with a negative value was detected in PC

Hi,

There is an error occurring which is quite often during execution in Performance Center.

Error Details are:

Monitor name :Windows Resources. Cannot access data for measurement PhysicalDisk|% Disk Time|0 C: on machine XYZ.

Details: A counter with a negative value was detected. Hint: Check that there is such a measurement on the machine (use the Add Machine dialog box) (entry point: CNtMeasurement::GetNewData3). [MsgId: MMSG-47295]

Reasons and resolutions are appreciated.

Thanks
Ajay
Honored Contributor
AlanBooth
Message 2 of 10 (1,970 Views)

Re: A counter with a negative value was detected in PC

This is a known problem and can be ignored. It is referenced in a knowledge base article. You can either search this forum for this error and you should find a link to the article or search the knowledge base.

Alan
Respected Contributor
ajay.x.kumar
Message 3 of 10 (1,970 Views)

Hi Alan,

Thank you for your reply. There must be defienly lots of info regarding this error. But hard luck for me as I dont have access to view self solve documents. Is there any other way to check any documents or reason for this error.

If you can provide me some info that will be a great help thank you very much.

Ajay Kumar
Respected Contributor
ajay.x.kumar
Message 4 of 10 (1,970 Views)

Hi,

May I know who can resolve this problem. I who will be the rite person to speak with to get this issue resolved.

That will be great help.

Thanks
Ajay
Honored Contributor
AlanBooth
Message 5 of 10 (1,970 Views)

All you need is to register to get an HP Passport account, anyone can get one. Here is the link to the article:

http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM469480

Here is the link to the post here in this forum with the article:

http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447627+1245236207669+28353475&...

Here is the text from the article and as I said these errors can be ignored they do not cause any problem in the operation of your load test:

Technical document information

Title:
Monitoring Error Messages that can be ignored in Performance Center 8.x and 9.x
Document ID:
KM469480
Product:
Performance Center
Version:
Updated:
2008-Jun-25

Problem

Following monitoring related error messages are seen in Performance Center (PC) 8.x and 9.x

These error messages are seen during the loadtest or in event logs -

Error 1. "Host: 128.11.147.151 , Monitor name :Host Monitor. Cannot access data for measurement PhysicalDisk|% Disk Time|_Total on machine 128.11.147.151. Details: A counter with a negative value was detected. Hint: Check that there is such a measurement on the machine (use the Add Machine dialog box) (entry point: CNtMeasurement::GetNewData3). [MsgId: MMSG-47295]"

Error 2. "Host: ACCSTDAPPS04 , Monitor name :Windows Resources. It appears that machine ACCSTDAPPS04 was rebooted and is now online. Note that it could take some time to refresh all measurements selected for this machine. Hint: If you do not receive measurement data, check the connection to the machine (entry point: Measurement::getNewData) [MsgId: MMSG-47287]"
Cause

1. The first error message is due to some internal monitoring objects throwing these messages.

2. The second error message just indicates a negative or invalid timestamp from the monitor.
Fix

Both the error messages do not affect any load tests but there is no way to suppress this.

These error messages do not interfere with any other Performance Center functionality and are harmless.

So ignoring these messages is the only solution.
Respected Contributor
ajay.x.kumar
Message 6 of 10 (1,970 Views)

Thank you very much Alan,

Your post was really helpful to me.
Occasional Contributor
sudhakartalla
Message 7 of 10 (1,859 Views)

Hi All,

I've gone through the below link to refer the error details

http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM469480

Error:

Monitor name :Host Monitor. Cannot access data for measurement PhysicalDisk|% Disk Time|_Total on machine on XYZ. Details: A counter with a negative value was detected. Hint: Check that there is such a measurement on the machine (use the Add Machine dialog box) (entry point: CNtMeasurement::GetNewData3). [MsgId: MMSG-47295]

HP has given the Fix as below:

Both the error messages do not affect any load tests and do not interfere with any other Performance Center functionality. Although they cannot be suppressed they are harmless and may be ignored.

Any one is able to see the above error message in PC 11.0 during the test execution? Please post your updates.

Thanks,

Sudhakar Talla

Occasional Advisor
craiseychamp
Message 8 of 10 (1,602 Views)

yes we're still seeing it in PC 11.0 Patch 5

Monitor name :Host Monitor. Cannot access data for measurement Processor|% Processor Time|_Total on machine <ip address>.

Frequent Advisor
ssawale
Message 9 of 10 (1,553 Views)

I still see these errors in LR 11.51 and PC as well. Though KB article in resolution is 4 years old and issue still persists.

Monitor name :Windows Resources. Cannot access data for measurement PhysicalDisk|% Idle Time|_Total on machine << MachineName >>.
Details: A counter with a negative value was detected.

Resolution to ignore errors doesn't make sense as these monitors are monitored for reasons and critical when we see abnormality in results.  LoadRunner or PC shouldn't throw such false positive errors which afftect analysis and reporting of performance tests.

As technology moves ahead bar gets higher and higer and demands high precision so suggestions\ recommendations to ignor looks unreasonalble.

Frequent Advisor
KF1
Message 10 of 10 (1,070 Views)

[ Edited ]

This is still happening as of version:

ALM/PC 11.52 Patch 1

Is this slated to be fixed?

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.