unable to select software for installation when using swinstall (414 Views)
Super Advisor
NDO
Message 1 of 10 (414 Views)
Accepted Solution

unable to select software for installation when using swinstall

[ Edited ]

Hi felow forum members!

I wonder if you could help me, I was asked to install bash on a 11.23 server, so now I am trying to install the pre-requisites like termcap, gettext, but when I do :

swinstall -s /tmp/fr/gettext-0.18.1.1-ia64-11.23.depot

I them try to select the software for "mark" them "install", but I am not able to see the software.

I can only see the hostname on SD screen

Pls can you help

P.S.This thread has been moved from HP-UX>System Administration to HP-UX > patches- HP Forums Moderator

Honored Contributor
Matti_Kurkela
Message 2 of 10 (409 Views)

Re: unable to select software for installation when using swinstall

Does the file /var/adm/sw/.sdkey exist? If it exists, it enables an enhanced GUI interface for remote software management in swinstall/swcopy/swremove commands. It allows you to install software to multiple systems simultaneously, if the swacl permissions have been appropriately set on those systems.

If you want to perform a simple local installation in the enhanced GUI, select the hostname and choose "Mark for Install" in the Actions menu. Then select "Show Software For Selection..." in the Actions menu, and you'll see the familiar software selection dialog you're looking for.

If the enhanced GUI is not useful for you, just delete the above-mentioned .sdkey file.

MK
Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 3 of 10 (401 Views)

>install bash on a 11.23 server, so now I am trying to install the pre-requisites like termcap, gettext

Since this depot is simple, you might want to use the CLI and not the GUI.

swinstall -s /tmp/fr/gettext-0.18.1.1-ia64-11.23.depot \*

The "\*" says to install everything in the bundle.

For the Porting Center, there is a depothelper that will help you install dependencies.

Super Advisor
NDO
Message 4 of 10 (390 Views)

Hi

swinstall worked fine, in the past I was also using swinstall, but with no

\*

at the end of the comand, I beleive those characters made the difference, but now if I do the following:

mceldev[147]/ #/usr/local/bin/bash
mceldev[!]/ #echo $SHELL
/sbin/sh
mceldev[!]/ #

So echo $SHELL is not showing me the bash

Honored Contributor
Matti_Kurkela
Message 5 of 10 (383 Views)

$SHELL is the default shell for the user. It is defined by the user's shell setting in the /etc/passwd file. It does not necessarily have anything to do with the current shell in your login session.

If you run another shell from the command line, $SHELL won't be updated unless there is an explicit command to update the variable in the start-up scripts of the new shell.

In HP-UX, the default shell for the root user is always /sbin/sh, because it's the only shell that is guaranteed to work when booting the system to single user or LVM rescue modes. (Because the other shells may require libraries that might not be available when /usr is not mounted.)

You can start a non-default shell as root if you prefer, but you should never change the default shell of the root user, or you may have trouble at next boot or when you need to boot to single-user mode. For the same reason, trying to automate starting a non-default shell for root every time root logs in is tricky and not recommended.

If you login as a regular user and then use su or sudo to become root, you have the option of specifying which shell you want to run with the su/sudo command. Depending on su/sudo options, you may even have the root shell use your personal login scripts, so the environment can automatically be configured to suit your personal preferences. Yet another reason to avoid logging in directly as root when it is not absolutely necessary...

(On the other hand, a professional sysadmin may often need to login to systems that don't have his/her personal settings configured, so there is value in learning to live with the factory default environment settings too...)

MK
Super Advisor
NDO
Message 6 of 10 (379 Views)

Thank you for your explanation
Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 7 of 10 (371 Views)

>So echo $SHELL is not showing me the bash

What I do is to type some illegal command and look for the shell name in the error message.

Or you can do: ps -fp $$

Super Advisor
NDO
Message 8 of 10 (366 Views)

Hi

This is what I get if I do:

mceldev[267]/ #ps -fp $$
     UID   PID  PPID  C    STIME TTY       TIME COMMAND
    root 15870 15867  0 08:11:34 pts/0     0:00 -sh
mceldev[268]/ #moer .profile
sh: moer:  not found.
mceldev[269]/ #

Super Advisor
NDO
Message 9 of 10 (365 Views)

But if I type:

mceldev[270]/ #/usr/local/bin/bash
mceldev[!]/ #ps -fp $$
     UID   PID  PPID  C    STIME TTY       TIME COMMAND
    root 16121 15870  0 08:17:27 pts/0     0:00 /usr/local/bin/bash
mceldev[!]/ #

I got bash

Acclaimed Contributor
Dennis Handly
Message 10 of 10 (356 Views)

>This is what I get if I do:
 >root 15870 15867  .... -sh

This is what's expected.  You are in a logon real shell and both ps and the shell error say so.

>But if I type: ...  I got bash
>    root 16121 15870 ... /usr/local/bin/bash

Again what's expected.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.